Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4  (Read 69367 times)

Description:

Offline IanP

• Show only replies by IanP
Re: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2017, 01:04:12 PM »
No need to recompile old apps for no FPU, just use Femu for now or wait for FPU on the V4.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2017, 01:35:40 PM »
Quote from: IanP;829130
No need to recompile old apps for no FPU, just use Femu for now or wait for FPU on the V4.

That seems like a likely solution, at least for the time being.
And with the new fpga, there is room for the additional components.
I'd still like the mmu, as I want to get back to using BSD.

But,  it actually think the new specs look pretty cool.
It's going to be a lot faster.

And, as much as everyone must be tiring of my fixation on these features, at least they can be added to the Vampire.
Tabor is permanently crippled.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
Re: Vampire v4
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2017, 03:20:24 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;829128
my experience with them is that when they fail, they do so with zero warning signs (making routine backups  essential).

My experience with regular hard drives is the same.  One day everything is going swimmingly and the next day it fails to start.

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2017, 03:45:59 PM »
Can't understand why a few people don't see the draw of a standalone.  These will sell many times more than OS4 PPC systems in a shorter amount of time.

PPC may have been the way Commodore was going, but what Commodore did and was doing with the Amiga is far less interesting than what the original Amiga team created.

More people are interested in what the Amiga would have been if it was continued along those original lines.  68K, enhanced chipset, etc.  

If Hyerion were smart they would back port features from OS4 to OS3 68K (if legally possible).  They would sell many more licenses than PPC.

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2017, 03:47:47 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;829133
My experience with regular hard drives is the same.  One day everything is going swimmingly and the next day it fails to start.

Right.  SSDs fail too, but unless you need huge capacities solid state is the way to go nowadays.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »
Quote from: IanP;829130

Sounds like a plan.

Can be an issue with some of the old stuff just doing a hardware check for an FPU rather than asking nicely.

Actually some of it doesn't even scan, it just assumes there is an FPU and bombs out if one isn't present. That stuff probably will work fine with Femu.
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline Iggy

« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2017, 04:04:01 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;829133

I've been pretty lucky in being able to recover data from failing mechanical drives, and the SSDs I've had that have had fail have simply stopped working, totally, at once, with zero warning.

But we should all back up our data.

On my PCs these days, I back up to USB connected hard drives that I remove after backup. USB3.0 is a bit slower than SATA connected directly, but its still light years faster than some of the legacy hardware I have.

And I can't argue against the speed of SSDs. I even have an OWC unit in my PowerMac G4. After all, the size limitations for MorphOS drives rather suits SSD capacities.

Quote from: Kremlar;829136
Right.  SSDs fail too, but unless you need huge capacities solid state is the way to go nowadays.

I use large drives as secondary data storage now, with SSDs for my boot/primary drive.

Combining the two gives me fast operation AND cheap mass storage. :)

Then again, I still use optical drives, so maybe you don't want to follow my lead...;-).

I even have a PCI SATA controller stashed for use in an future X5000, so I can support two optical drives along with an SSD boot drive and a large mechanical hard drive for storage.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:09:03 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2017, 04:27:20 PM »
Optical Drives are a good and cheap back up solution especially for photos and home movies. The Cloud is the worst solution for photos and movies as when hacked your life is laid bare on the internet! Why people are so happy for this risk is beyond me! Slap the files on a Blu-Ray disc, put them in a drawer and they're good for 20 years. No password or security required unless you want to lock the drawer or put them in a safe! Better still give the photos to a trusted extended family member and even if you have a fire the data will be ok ;-)
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2017, 05:03:11 PM »
I for one, will not be drinking the Vampire blood! I will instead, be eating the Jens A1200 reloaded gunpowder! :)

I've already bought the ACA 1233n @40MHz along with XC68882RC40A 40Mhz 68030 FPU. :laugh1:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 05:09:02 PM by gizmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2017, 06:08:27 PM »
Quote from: gizmo350;829141
I for one, will not be drinking the Vampire blood! I will instead, be eating the Jens A1200 reloaded gunpowder! :)

I've already bought the ACA 1233n @40MHz along with XC68882RC40A 40Mhz 68030 FPU. :laugh1:

It would be interesting to see how well these products (Vampire4 and A1200 Reloaded) work together.

Offline IanP

• Show only replies by IanP
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2017, 07:52:43 PM »
Amiga reloaded was announced over 2 years ago at Amiga 30 Amsterdam and still all we have seen is a wiki page of potential specifications. Vampire V4 was announced, what 3 days ago with images of the standalone/500 version and target availability of Q4 this year. With reloaded you'll need to add a amiga doner case, keyboard and mouse, accelerator and if you want features of the V4 like USB and Ethernet you'll need to buy those as well, you may need a DVI to HDMI adaptor. Of course you'll miss out on the power of the Apollo Core and enhanced audio. But if you just want a new A1200 like machine then the reloaded will be fine I expect.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2017, 08:05:52 PM »
I for one would like to buy a standalone v4, assuming Femu also matures and strengthens.

I think there's a case to be made for using it as a daily driver (almost!) given the right software suite.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline psxphill

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2017, 09:43:11 AM »
Quote from: IanP;829146
Vampire V4 was announced, what 3 days ago

If you're comparing the initial announcement of the two, it's June 2015 for Amiga Reloaded and October 2016 for Apollo Standalone.

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=1¬e=2723

Neither have shipped yet. Vampire production has always struggled to meet demand, Jens has had more success (but he's not perfect).

Time will tell.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:34:50 AM by psxphill »

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2017, 02:35:31 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;829161

Neither have shipped yet. Vampire production has always struggled to meet demand, Jens has had more success (but he's not perfect).

Time will tell.

Lol Vampire is a hobby project with little funding. Individual Computers (jens s.) is a real company with tooling and facilities not even comparable.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline psxphill

« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;829197
Lol Vampire is a hobby project with little funding. Individual Computers (jens s.) is a real company with tooling and facilities not even comparable.

Yes and both have pros and cons. My post was a reply to someone who was comparing what you say is not comparable.

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #89 from previous page: August 08, 2017, 12:01:48 PM »
Hairsplitting, Amigans favourite hobby since the 90s ;)