Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Thinking to change to the dark side (blue)  (Read 5144 times)

Description:

Offline pablotinchTopic starter

• Show only replies by pablotinch
Thinking to change to the dark side (blue)
« on: April 02, 2004, 06:32:53 AM »

Like 2 year ago I got a new Amiga g3, was so happy, but now I so depress an angry to
, everybody (Amiga Inc, eyetech and of course the incompetents of Hyperion no offense.
So because I don’t wan to waste more time , and just tired to run Linux in the Amiga which I never use because I run Linux  in the pc , ( because is better )
I really would like to use something close to the Amiga and a new platform I am thinking to change to the Pegasus and I have questions.

1)   Did anybody have the chance to see any demo of os4 and compare to morphs?
2)   Is any chance that the guys from eyetech get tire of the wait and some how license morphs to run it the amigas?
3)    If someday os4 get release, will be close or better to morphs or I just will be like a very first edition of the morphs or a beta?
4)   Who is in the same situation, and what would you guys do?
5)   Anyone can try to convince me to change to the Pegasus platform?
  Don’t take this in the wrong way , I just want to be happy

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
Re: Thinking to change to the dark side (blue)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 06:58:43 AM »
Yes, come to the Dark side. Join the Black Trolls.
Assert your feelings, you know them to be true.

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 07:06:44 AM »
Change is a good thing, but not always:)  Have you even tried morphos?  If not try it before you decide what to do, as far as when os4 gets released, and will it be as good as morphos goes, ....well nobody knows for sure wjen it will be released, but hopefully it will.  Morphos is ok, since you have an amiga and a pc running linux, maybe you should wait a bit longer and see what you think when os4 does finally get released.One thing i have noticed is that since i have 3 amigas, a pc and a powermac that my love always falls back to my miggy.  Windows of course sux, mac os9 and x are good in some ways but not in others, morphos is well to me another ostrying to be an 'alterative' os, but offers little overall. Linux is good for servers, but not that good for other things, and other oses like beos and stuff are... well dead:)My opinion is give it a few more months and then decide (maybe take vacation) and enjoy your current amiga and linux running pc.  Do you need another os right now?  Or does what you have do the job and then some?  I wont lie and say that amiga and amigaos will be on top by 2005, but hey one thing about amiga is, you never know what to expect or believe:)

Offline tekmage

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 07:30:19 AM »
Hi Pablotinch,

"eyetech and of course the incompetents of Hyperion no offense"

Interesting statement, I think they should take offense to it.  Certainly MorphOS is "available" if you wish to purchase it's dongle the Pegasos.  I put available in quote because I'm unsure the amount of stocks dealers currently have, I've not seen anything to suggest many are available.    If you have a Classic Amiga with a PPC card OS 4 will run on that system, I'd guess it's release date would be very near the AmigaOne release.

to your questions:

1) I've used both at different times over the last year.  Since the term better is subjective I'll say they will be different.  Both systems should run the same 68k Amiga applications.  It's clear that the developement teams have taken different paths toward their end product, which neither team has reached or will for another few years.  As such MorphOS has some newer technology then OS 4 and OS 4 has some newer technology then MorphOS.  When OS 4 is finally released a more accurate technical comparison can be made.

2) I doubt it, Eyetech has access to LinuxPPC to power it's  hardware and with OS 4 and they have no business need for MorphOS that I can see.

3) I'd imagine when OS 4 is actually released it should be close to MorphOS today or a bit ahead, OS 4 already has a native integrated TCP/IP stack for example.  Again there will be differences, in terms of user experiance I'd expect OS 4 to be at least as stable as MorphOS is now.

4) I've been waiting till OS 4 comes out before making my decision.  I've got lots of things to keep my self busy so I can aford to wait.

5) If you have the cash buy a Pegasos, why not?  I know a few people who were quite happy with there BeBoxes ;)  And why do you need to "change" as you mentioned you currently own a PC with linux, you can own more then one computer :)  

I will say either platform, MorphOS or OS 4, will need your money to survive.  If you decided to wait before choosing be sure and purchase as much native software as you can.  Without your dollars your platform of choice will certainly not survive!

Bill "tekmage" Borsari

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 08:33:36 AM »
The dark side isn't [color=0000FF]BLUE[/color]

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 09:09:57 AM »
"incompetents of Hyperion no offence"? If I was Hyperion, I'd take offence.

Anyway, since you no doubt qualify for the earlybird, why not see if the developer pre-release comes out any time soon? Work on the CD is progressing well. I wish I could say more, but i'm under NDA :-(
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline ksk

• Show only replies by ksk
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 11:42:09 AM »
1) Not me. People that are using either one or both seem quite pleased.

2) No.

3) Originally OS4 supposed to have a lot more features than MOS. A lot of time has passed since and I'm not sure how it ends.

Some people claim MOS is stable nowdays. Also AOS users say that application crashes are often not able to take the system down.

I think AOS4 got some basic stuff "free" from AOS3.x, while that stuff needed to be developed from scratch to MOS.

I'm sure both will be amigalike.

4) I'm in wait & see.

But, nowdays it feels that supporting Genesi equals to killing AmigaOS. I love AmigaOS.

The worst thing Buck has done is that he attacked AmigaOS. (his actions in court)

I hope McEven never ever has the chance to mess with AOS future.
The same development would be good between Buck & MOS.

I'm considering to update to CSPPC. Then I might be able to try & test & compare MOS, AOS4, AOS3.9 etc on the same box.

((Even though I do not anymore trust in Genesi enough to believe there will be official MOS for CSPPC ever....))

5) Not me !

Offline Damion

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 12:02:25 PM »
MOS "itself" is IMO at least as stable as AOS 3.x.

Also AOS users say that application crashes are often not able to take the system down.

This is also common with MOS/AOS 1-3.x, depends on how the app bombs whether or not it crashes the OS completely.

Anyways, my advice is that the Pegasos (using MOS) is a great hobby system, and lots of fun if you're looking for an amiga-like system "with a twist" of something unique.

Also I would say to buy any of these systems (A1/Peg) for what they can do today (or RSN), because, although hopes are high, the future isn't exactly promised.

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 01:01:23 PM »
Have you considered using MacOs9/X under MacOnLinux while waiting for Os4?

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 01:11:16 PM »
I made the decision to switch to blue. I'd waited for OS4 for ages, and made a promise to myself that I'd only wait as long as May, 2003, to buy an AmigaONE. OS4 didn't arrive and didn't look like arriving soon so I gave up on the idea. I was set to get a PC with the money I'd saved, until Phenix came along and offered me a Pegasos for £200. It was too good to refuse. Since then I've had absolutely no regrets. MOS is everything I wanted and expected from a modern PPC AmigaOS, and the Pegasos hardware is brilliant - even with Articia.

A lot of people seem to believe that getting MorphOS or supporting the people behind it attack AmigaOS. They should realise that AmigaOS was last released in 1993 by Commodore. You can't attack it because it's dead. The current AmigaOS 4 is simply a PDA content company mistitled Amiga Inc and Hyperion's vision of AmigaOS. It is no more or no less bPlan's vision of it, or Bernd Meyer's vision of it, or AROS's vision of it.

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 01:11:30 PM »
As you seemingly made your decision without knowing either alternative, now do something different for a change. Try out MorphOS, and see if you like it. MorphOS started with a huge emotional handicap, most of the community hated it. (and some still hate it today) AmigaONE sales are generated by the Amiga name. Pegasos sales are generated by either ppl being fed up with the other alternative, or (magic!) they try MorphOS out and fall in love. If you don't like MorphOS, you can still stick to your purchased AmigaONE and see what happens.

Both OS4 and MorphOS has internal beta for the Cyberstorm and BlizzardPPCs, yet unreleased.

pablotinch wrote:

There are differences. The HW was almost identical, the approach is slightly different. OS4 will have Picasso, Reaction, Warp3D, Nova, MorphOS has CGX, MUI, Rave3D, JunGL.

I won't say that using an OS4 like skin will make feel like using OS4. There are features in MorphOS which will not be available till OS4.2, 4.3 and a few years, and yes, there are some AmigaOS features which are still lacking in MorphOS and are under development. That's why you have to try it out.

I presume no one from the red camp blamed you when you have bought your AmigaONE without trying AOS4 out... I say, do try out what you'd like to purchase.  

2)   Is any chance that the guys from eyetech get tire of the wait and some how license morphs to run it the amigas?

Given the hostility (Eyetech starts spreading ArticiaS Pegasos is buggy, then Genesi fighting back) it's very unprobable.

3)    If someday os4 get release, will be close or better to morphs or I just will be like a very first edition of the morphs or a beta?

In many areas the two projects are similar. In some areas OS4 has some features MorphOS doesn't, again in other areas OS4 is years behind.

I don't blame you. In 2001 august I awaited and believed the release of AmigaONE/OS4. Things have changed since then.

Again. Try it out.

Offline Acill

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2004, 01:21:09 PM »

pablotinch wrote:

Don’t take this in the wrong way , I just want to be happy

I know how you feel! I just sold off my Amiga and got me a G4 Pegasos II AFTER I used MorphOS for the first time. I would have to say the demo of OS4 I last say, though a real early one was not as nice as MorphOS. It didnt run near as many classic apps as Morph does. My main selling point on the Pegasos is the hardware is more modern. I didnt want to get a computer thats as old as the A1 is now. I am sick of Amiga Inc. They are not making good business decisions as it is, and I think they will go under soon. The Peg is less money then then A1 and its faster too. If you like using an Amiga and want the look and feel NOW on a system with more and more software being ported to it, get a Peg.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004, 01:31:40 PM »
[deleted. don't really want to provoke]
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004, 01:35:25 PM »
Yeah, strangely enough after distributing their flyers saying Articia is buggy, they then claimed it wasn't. Then they claimed the bugs that weren't present had been fixed by Mai and IBM. Then they claimed it was Linux's fault...

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 01:44:17 PM »
@pablotinch

Hi!
If you can afford it and you can find one available for delivery, why the heck not? Put all the squabbling and internal politics of the Amiga community aside and the Pegasos + MorphOS is one impressive system for an old Amiga user. IMO don't look at it as making some incredible plunge or breaking an unwritten oath(:-P), they are all just products that are either available, not available, or semi available.

Let me just make one suggestion though. [color=CC0000]DON'T PREORDER[/color] a Pegasos. If you can find a dealer with one in stock, then that's a green light go ahead. But from my own comfort level I wouldn't recomend paying up front right now if they are not in stock.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!