Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: winuae woes....  (Read 10837 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: winuae woes.... And why amiga forever sucks...
« on: April 15, 2012, 02:21:15 PM »
Little bit off topic, but I discovered that ReactOS now runs Winuae. I only tried it very briefly, but I tried booting both games and Workbench off floppy, and had no real issues.

As both ReactOS, and AROS 68k mature the potential for fully legal live booting/installable distros gets pretty interesting in my opinion. Both OSes being open source makes it somehwat easier/cleaner to be able to make the Winuae host side as small as possible and have the installer also install the emulator and 68k OS files, make the few relevant customisations, and so on and so forth.

Hopefully someone taps that potential some time in the future.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 04:13:41 AM »
That's gotta be one of the dumbest things Ive seen written for a while, and being that I frequent a lot of amiga sites there's plenty of competition.
XP+SP3 is no more bloated than SP2, it's more secure and more stable. I prefer it to any other MS OS. The only thing you miss out on apart from eye candy is directx 10.x upwards. Dont want all the bloat, fine dont install all the bloat, its not exactly rocket science. My XP+SP3 iso is significantly smaller than a default xp iso (ie. without sp1,2, or 3), and a heck of a lot more upto date and stable.

Only illiterate "nobs" (its knobs by the way) use default installs.

The "coming from a technician" remark was also funny. Ive been a technician for decades and I sure as heck wouldnt recommend osx or linux over Windows,... I'd recommend the best tool for the job which on any day could be any one of them.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 05:47:42 AM »
As I mentioned before, the only thing you really gain by upgrading beyond XP+SP3 is DX10+. Apart from that Win VIsta/Win7 only add unneccesary bloat and next to no functionality. Win XP is a nice balance between modern and streamlined. I like to know my OS and what its doing inside out, with my own customisations (why I like amiga oses) and XP isnt a bad option for that.
The only system I have that's running anything more recent is my media centre machine, but only because it's also my main gaming rig (i7-2600k/gf570gtx/etc.).
I have a couple other decent machines (core2duos@3.86ghz and 4.1ghz respectively) and theyre running XP, my preferred OS for "serious" work. An OS should be there just to guide/drive the software. It's freaking crazy for it to be the biggest, most resource hungry program running and XP has a big advantage here.

Even MS seem to be aware that XP is pretty good. If they didnt they wouldnt have enforced artificial restrictions on it (ie. techincally there's nothing that it cant run that's available to Vista/7 so they had to artificially restrict latest IE and DX, etc. from working). If they hadnt done that there'd be no reason for people to upgrade.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 08:09:15 PM »
@paul1981

That's quite cool. Not that I use either Win9x or Winuae much, but do you happen to know if Winuae will run on a Win9x system with all the above updates? It (Win9x) is much easier to strip back to the nth degree to use as a host for an emulated system. Could be pretty nice for those people that like to have dedicated WinUAE boxes.
ReactOS is a decent option, but not yet as fast as it could be.