Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: C=usa. A peaceful solution?  (Read 6305 times)

Description:

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
Re: C=usa. A peaceful solution?
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 01:08:11 PM »
Aros pancakes! :D

Seriously, though. as much as I respect Hyperion for doing an amazing job on OS 4, there is very little future for the Amiga platform if it remains closed.

We're down to a few thousand hobbyists now, and I doubt there's enough of a market left for commercial development.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline tone007

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 01:11:21 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;608836
Instead of trying to use the Amiga name they should have followed Morphos' philosophy and make a fresh start.

But without the name, they don't have anything!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 01:32:26 PM »
Quote from: tone007;608900
But without the name, they don't have anything!

They do... they have an overpriced PC in a so called custom built case that's actually nothing more than another "off the shelf" part as Cammy recently pointed out... ;)

CUSAs Alleged Custom Built Case !!!

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 01:41:41 PM »
I pretty much said my piece in the other thread, but just to reiterate:

C-USA, thus far, has billed their products as somehow being a successor to the C64 and Amiga. And no, despite BigBenAussie's protestations to the contrary, it's not just "modern tech in retro cases" - the whole of their website is designed around reminding people how cool the C64 and Amiga were and suggesting that this is somehow related.

Yet not only have they not even begun to approach that level of innovation and quality engineering, they're not even trying. The full extent of their creative efforts has been to create a reproduction C64 case for one particular model of generic x86 PC, and pick some stock cases that look sort of like the desktop Amigas for some others. It is plainly obvious that the only thing they're interested in is flogging the brand they scavenged for some extra money.

Shipping with AROS would be an interesting event, but it wouldn't change the fact that they're sticking generic x86 PCs (are they even manufacturing the innards?) in slightly custom cases and then trying to pass it off as the legitimate heir to the crown.

Back in the day Commodore brought an unprecedented combination of computing power, multimedia capabilities, and low prices into the home-computer market with the C64, then did it again with the Amiga and added a solidly-engineered OS into the bargain. C-USA has innovated nothing, and while its systems, going by the listed specs, are reasonably powerful, I sincerely doubt they'll be more powerful than the competition for less money, as both the C64 (against the Apple IIe) and the Amiga (against the Macintosh) were.

But that is, admittedly, a difficult trick to pull off these days. I wouldn't be so bothered by it if they were either A. trying at all to create something new, or B. not dressing up the status quo in Commodore drag.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline mechy

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2011, 01:43:04 PM »
Are you joking? aros has nothing to do with amiga..just another tangent we dont need. As for C= usa, no matter what the call workbench 5 its not.They just put out screwball products and ride on the names commodore and amiga to sell products.If they both went away things would be better.

Quote from: Kesa;608825
OK i read that link and still think it's nonsense. How can anyone own opensource? For me AROS is the long term future of Amiga. No legal problems from Amiga Inc or Hyperion to screw it all up! Same goes for Morpthos. If Hyperion are really that arrogant to think they own/control AROS then all i can say is good riddance. Maybe C=usa could simply bypass this and rename their Amiga range Amigos?

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 01:43:20 PM »
First off welcome back FRANKO !!!!!! place is already jumping (yes i am a franko fan boy... bit me :D)
In regards to C-USA I don't want or need a PC made to look like an Amiga or C64. Even with Aros the only version i really want is for classic hardware (which BTW is making great strides).
Like others have said before all C-USA want to do is make a quick buck they don't really care either way what happens to us (unless ofcourse we are talking about buying their crappy PC's) and yes they are crappy PC's i wouldn't even give one to my worst users.... (and God know their a bunch of numnuts (the user's that is) kind of reminds me of the X1000 (although that at least is someone's own design) under powered, over priced and under whelming)).

My 2.2c (since the Aussie dollar is doing so well... :D)
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 04:58:06 PM »
Let's not devote too much time to C=USA.  So far, they're all just a bunch of marketing hype anyway.  Only time will tell whether they release anything of any use, but I certainly don't have too much confidence in them -- so I don't really care what they say they're going to do.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 06:44:51 PM »
Quote from: orb85750;608986
Let's not devote too much time to C=USA.  So far, they're all just a bunch of marketing hype anyway.  Only time will tell whether they release anything of any use, but I certainly don't have too much confidence in them -- so I don't really care what they say they're going to do.

I also decided to eat some pancakes as I consider C=USA irrelevant at this point to Amiga and AROS.
I do get a nostalgia feeling though as they seem to not understand how to do marketing with modern social media etc :-).

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2011, 07:05:13 PM »
Personally I feel many of the people here are too invested in the old and not in the new..  It's 2011 here folks, the original AmigaOS died long ago. The current AmigaOS and clones may have a lot in common the way they work, etc. They provide emulation (albeit slick fast emulation) of the old hardware and software but they just aren't the original, no matter who's doing it etc.. Amiga Corp. (pre-Commodore one) was the real deal it was an American startup, way before they tried selling it to Atari and Commodore to survive.

Honestly, you folks who think powerpc's are the way to go, or any one processor including PowerPC and Intel aren't reading the right tea leaves.. When I think of an OS now I thinki of virtualization, I think of the computing cloud etc.. Thinks are way fast enough via emulation on ARM and others to emulate and run even the original OS virtually and emulate the hardware properly (no magic there). So why are we even discussing which OS etc.

The Amiga community has to get over itself once and forever here, we are arguing over something that won't startup again no matter how much money is thrown at it, at least the way it was done in the past.. Let's just be positive about whatever comes out.. Most people in the USA if I asked them what a AmigaOS 4.x or Hyperion or the Amiga was they'd point me back to wikipedia or Commodore.

Does it really matter what the company known as Commodore USA does ? You guys are fighting over OSes and hardware long since surpassed (even with the latest offerings)..

Time to be supportive of whoever is left (including Hyperion and Commodore USA). I am guessing it wont impact on any sales one bit, because many people here in the USA don't really want anything with a powerPC chip in it one bit, unless it does ARM and is mobile they don't care.. I have said this once and i'll say it again, the world is now processor agnostic as long as it's fast enough for what they want and many now want to run this on a 6-8 hour battery if not better..
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2011, 07:15:51 PM »
Quote from: Fats;609026
I do get a nostalgia feeling though as they seem to not understand how to do marketing with modern social media etc :-).

Really? I'm not into CUSA myself and would probably never buy from them, but they've made much more marketing ground than Hyperion/A-eon/Acube or Genesi. I've had two friends so far who have zero interest in the Commodore/Amiga but know I'm into retro stuff contact me with links to CUSA. That's never happened with regards to OS4, MOS or AROS.  

CUSA is on Facebook, don't they also have a Twitter account? Hyperion doesn't do this.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2011, 07:34:43 PM »
Quote from: DonnyEMU;609029
Honestly, you folks who think powerpc's are the way to go, or any one processor including PowerPC and Intel aren't reading the right tea leaves.. When I think of an OS now I thinki of virtualization, I think of the computing cloud etc..

*snip*

Time to be supportive of whoever is left (including Hyperion and Commodore USA). I am guessing it wont impact on any sales one bit, because many people here in the USA don't really want anything with a powerPC chip in it one bit, unless it does ARM and is mobile they don't care.. I have said this once and i'll say it again, the world is now processor agnostic as long as it's fast enough for what they want and many now want to run this on a 6-8 hour battery if not better..
Only if you think the Amiga has to be a Serious Market Competitor, as rather too many people in the community do. I don't see why the bar for new-Amiga success has to be set at "as powerful as modern commodity hardware with at least as much market share as the Mac." Why couldn't we be happy with a new Amiga system that's simply more advanced than the old hardware we've been maintaining and upgrading but preserves all the neat aspects of the system, and dispense with the inter-platform dick-waving contest? Let the people who are happy with x86 commodity hardware do their thing, and drop the inferiority complex.

Does it really matter what the company known as Commodore USA does ? You  guys are fighting over OSes and hardware long since surpassed (even  with the latest offerings)..
C-USA's behavior bothers me because they're acting like "we're now the official arbiters of what constitutes the Amiga," which is annoying enough when individual zealots do it, and they're also expecting to make money from it, which is arrogance squared.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Paulie85

• Show only replies by Paulie85
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2011, 08:22:50 PM »
[attach]1067[/attach][img]

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2011, 10:43:34 PM »
I voted AROS but I'd prefer it be 68k AROS on a RetroReplay or NatAmi.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2011, 11:07:42 PM »
Vapor USA - Scammadore usa,

They have shipped exactly one computer that we know of, and that was bought by bigbenaussie. Since he was their only customer on record, they offered him a job as "chief technical officer"

The pay sucks, but he gets to come on all the forums and lie for them,
call forum users stating facts trolls, defend them threatening to sue osnews.com for stating facts, trash hyperion, aros,natami,minimig,morphos and all other valid groups actually producing products and more.

He gets to create tons of fake accounts to be fans of their plans and equally defend their ridiculous track record of lies, copying apples website word for word and so on...

All this hype, all these cancelled computer models...And newly announced ones... All this hype, talks of 30 million advertising budgets that never produced one single television ad, and what have they done?

Sold one cybernet all in one pc with a commodore sticker slapped on it to some guy they next gave a non paying job to as a "chief technical officer". If your just slapping stickers on cybernet pcs or building off the shelf pcs why do you even need a technical officer?

Months and months and months of hype... Still no products shipping.
Changing gears, changing hype, endless news annoucements and hype.

They have not even released technical specs for any of their computers.
Thats ridiculous. They don't have tech specs because these geniuses don't even know how to build a clone pc. If they did know, they'd have tech specs already listed. Months and months and no specs? Do you know what that means? That means they have not even selected, let alone bought components for any of these "amiga" computers they are announcing. They copied and pasted pictures of the cases I'm sure they would like to someday buy (but haven't yet) Maybe they spent all their money on commodore stickers and now they are broke? :roflmao:

To put it simply...
Its a website full of promises most of which will never materialize... and a voicemail box in some guys house and a website filled with copied and pasted pictures of computers they will never build or sell. VAPOR.

Steven

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2011, 03:06:26 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;609074
vapor usa - scammadore usa,

they have shipped exactly one computer that we know of, and that was bought by bigbenaussie. Since he was their only customer on record, they offered him a job as "chief technical officer"

the pay sucks, but he gets to come on all the forums and lie for them,
call forum users stating facts trolls, defend them threatening to sue osnews.com for stating facts, trash hyperion, aros,natami,minimig,morphos and all other valid groups actually producing products and more.

He gets to create tons of fake accounts to be fans of their plans and equally defend their ridiculous track record of lies, copying apples website word for word and so on...

All this hype, all these cancelled computer models...and newly announced ones... All this hype, talks of 30 million advertising budgets that never produced one single television ad, and what have they done?

Sold one cybernet all in one pc with a commodore sticker slapped on it to some guy they next gave a non paying job to as a "chief technical officer". If your just slapping stickers on cybernet pcs or building off the shelf pcs why do you even need a technical officer?

Months and months and months of hype... Still no products shipping.
Changing gears, changing hype, endless news annoucements and hype.

They have not even released technical specs for any of their computers.
Thats ridiculous. They don't have tech specs because these geniuses don't even know how to build a clone pc. If they did know, they'd have tech specs already listed. Months and months and no specs? Do you know what that means? That means they have not even selected, let alone bought components for any of these "amiga" computers they are announcing. They copied and pasted pictures of the cases i'm sure they would like to someday buy (but haven't yet) maybe they spent all their money on commodore stickers and now they are broke? :roflmao:

To put it simply...
Its a website full of promises most of which will never materialize... And a voicemail box in some guys house and a website filled with copied and pasted pictures of computers they will never build or sell. Vapor.

Steven

ahem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 26, 2011, 04:00:32 AM »
Come on guys, how can you be so hard on a company that includes a postion of employment with every computer it sells?  In this economy, that's really something that can set a company apart from its competitors.  That's real value added right there.

I don't really need another x86 box, but I am looking for a job.
If anyone from CUSA is reading this, I'd just like you to know that I'm fully versed in not only copying, but also pasting, and I have Paint.net installed on my PC and I'm pretty good at removing watermarks and other pesky bits from images.  I have some real Amiga hardware that I can look at and compare to present off-the-shelf cases, and I totally know what Workbench is.