Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Has CommodoreUSA shipped anything?  (Read 8701 times)

Description:

Offline Jan

• Show only replies by Jan
Re: Has CommodoreUSA shipped anything?
« Reply #89 from previous page: November 07, 2010, 09:30:05 AM »
Quote from: smerf;590069
Oh come on now, do you really think MAC people are professional, they only know how to punch keys.

Huh, I for one quite like the score to Inception and Gladiator. This guy knows how to punch keys for sure ;)

I figured the Amiga emulation for the iPhone was developed on a MAC,  probably by a n00b ;)

By the way, developing iPhone/iPad apps is one fine way to earn money these day,
especially for programmers just starting out. As well as for people who like to
design little retro style games with a small team. Not unlike Amiga development back then.

There's still stuff like XNA development for Xbox360 that you definitely need a
fast PC for. For e.g. to run a windows emulation under a LinuX system equals way
too much hassle and speed loss. Also I still do my online gaming on Windows
machines.

Quote from: Franko;590038
The Amiga may no longer be used by professionals anymore for such tasks but that's what a PC or Mac is for.

I dream about changing this, I really do ;)

Quote from: kolla;590026

I'm still pussled, you describe what sounds like an ordinary barebone PC system and then you write that it doesn't already exist?

Well, you are most welcome to show me a silent high end PC System in a design that somehow resembles Yoz ones :knuddel:
and is compatible to my specs (including a custom boot loader and supporting community) and runs OS X
'out of the box'. (read without fiddeling kexts and in auto update mode).

What most folks at sites like OSx86 build is all too often a neverending re-configuration marathon.
Personally I need both Windows 7 as well as OS X. I would probably enjoy working every now and then
on some Linux distro that aims specifically at the Amiga community.

One big advantage for a 'chameleon system' as described would be the user base and the knowledge transfer
as many people would have the same initial configuration. Hmmmm, chameleon sounds like an excellent name btw :D

The one proposed OS X driver disk for not so computer savvy people, would make some people I work with order
an Amiga today. Sometimes it is those little things that make all the difference.

Yeah, the backbone of an Amiga would be a hand-selected collection of commodity hardware parts coupled with
excellent design. It would not be about custom chips like Xena or fancy exotic processors, nor about one specific OS.
Though Aros could become a viable alternative to the Linux distro one day.

Speaking of design, some people buy Kenwood others buy Bang & Olufsen. Some buy Alienware towers,
some buy Amigas :) There is a proven market for people who value good design.
Maybe it's time for C=USA to think about a different business model approach.
Ferrari wouldn't sell you a chassis without an engine either. ;)

Offline kolla

« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2010, 11:01:06 AM »
Quote from: Jan;590073
I figured the Amiga emulation for the iPhone was developed on a MAC

Was it? Shocking, considering that the iOS SDK is OSX only.
The question is, will Apple allow an Amiga emulator into their store?

Well, you are most welcome to show me a silent high end PC System in a design that somehow resembles Yoz ones
and is compatible to my specs (including a custom boot loader and supporting community) and runs OS X
'out of the box'. (read without fiddeling kexts and in auto update mode).
There are very good reasons for why you do not see high end i7 in such tiny cabinets. There are also reasons why you don't see OSX sold with regular PCs.

Personally I need both Windows 7 as well as OS X.

Then you either build a hackintosh yourself, or you buy a Mac. Apple do not allow OSX to be sold with other computers than Apple machines, doing so means that you have to face Apple in court. This has already happened.

I would probably enjoy working every now and then on some Linux distro that aims specifically at the Amiga community.

And who will provide that? The ignorants of CUSA?

The one proposed OS X driver disk for not so computer savvy people, would make some people I work with order an Amiga today. Sometimes it is those little things that make all the difference.

Why would it interest anyone here that one can order a PC with Amiga sticker on it? Do you not grasp why we are here? Do you not understand that it is Amiga systems that are our interest here? We already have OSX, Linux, Windows, *BSD and whatnot running for years, and we're active on the relevant forums for those systems.

So sure, go ahead an make a "designer PC" that can run any of the OSes you like and stick the Amiga name on it, I still won't care.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:10:37 AM by kolla »
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Jan

« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »
Quote from: kolla;590077
Was it? Shocking, considering that the iOS SDK is OSX only.
and that's exactly why I chose this example.  ;)
By the way, it runs great.

There are very good reasons for why you do not see high end i7 in such tiny cabinets. There are also reasons why you don't see OSX sold with regular PCs.
What might this A4000-esque box be good for, come on it doesn't take much imagination :)

Then you either build a hackintosh yourself, or you buy a Mac. Apple do not allow OSX to be sold with other computers than Apple machines, doing so means that you have to face Apple in court. This has already happened.
I already have and can therefore say it would be a great idea  to assemble an Amiga
with having OS X driver support for each an every part in mind, rather than building one
based on PC hardware and later cry for drivers having no dev team.
It's legal where I live in Europe and for the states , well, you do not have to advertise
that your system runs OS X just perfect, word of mouth will do here :)

And who will provide that? The ignorants of CUSA?
[...]
Why would it interest anyone here that one can order a PC with Amiga sticker on it? Do you not grasp why we are here? Do you not understand that it is Amiga systems that are our interest here?

You know what I love most about Robert J. Mical? He's such a friendly charming persona.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:34:20 AM by Jan »

Offline kolla

« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2010, 11:35:19 AM »
Quote from: Jan;590078
By the way, it runs great.

UAE running on whatever device is not really news, you know. We were running UAE on PDAs (Zaurus and iPaq) almost 10 years ago already.

What might this A4000-esque box be good for, come on it doesn't take much imagination :)
Host CPU and a cooling system.

I already have and can therefore say it would be a great idea  to assemble an Amiga with having OS X driver support for each an every part in mind, rather than building one based on PC hardware and later cry for drivers having no dev team.
Which is fine, but how is it in any shape or form relevant to Amiga?

It's legal where I live in Europe and for the states , well, you do not have to advertise that your system runs OS X just perfect, word of mouth will do here
So you're thinking of selling a hackintosh without the OS. Great, but again - totally irrelevant to anything Amiga.

You know what I love most about Robert J. Mical? He's such a friendly charming persona.

And what does that have to do with anything?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:40:27 AM by kolla »
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Jan

« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2010, 05:24:25 PM »
Quote from: kolla;590080
UAE running on whatever device is not really news, you know. We were running UAE on PDAs (Zaurus and iPaq) almost 10 years ago already.

given the number of sold iPhones and the achieved performance on the ARM it's apples and oranges,
anyway, I don't think this adds much to the discussion as my point was having an Amiga that I can
also use to develop iPhone apps. It's a waste of time assembling a hackintosh, when you could buy
a cheaper than Apple package that works right out of the box, looks great and is tagged with a
Commodore logo. ;)

Host CPU and a cooling system.

Yep and a high performance GFX card. For a keyboard only version (if they plan to offer different models)
one could think about mobile versions of the i7, like the ones used in the the Mac Book Pro (i7-620M)
Either way it would be enough to experience some heat on the keyboard, which I actually like :)

Which is fine, but how is it in any shape or form relevant to Amiga?

It all makes sense if you go back to my first post. This is my vision of a future Amiga.
It's okay if you want to jump on the escapism train and bath in childhood memories,
or just want to fiddle around with outdated hardware and relax,
I just have a vision very different from yours and I am not even sure whether C=USA can pull it off.
Either way everyone should speak for themselves, which brings me to your next question

And what does that have to do with anything?

It has to do nothing with the Amiga and everything with you and your tone of speech,
but you probably already figured that out on your own, right? :kitty:

Offline Colin_CamperTopic starter

• Show only replies by Colin_Camper
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2010, 08:18:02 PM »
Quote from: Jan;590130
This is my vision of a future Amiga.
It's okay if you want to jump on the escapism train and bath in childhood memories,
or just want to fiddle around with outdated hardware and relax,
I just have a vision very different from yours and I am not even sure whether C=USA can pull it off.

Well, everyone is entitled to a vision and there are certainly many and varied visions out there! :-)

As far as C=USA is concerned - people are very jaded. I mentioned ACK and Kent but there are literally dozens of these scenarios of 'ghost' companies and shell games involved with Scamiga Inc and others.

I am willing to give C=USA the benefit of doubt - they are an innocent party being used by Scamiga Inc to artificially inflate the worth of their IP and trading name.

This is what worries me. Scamiga are not stupid and they would not knowingly partner with a viable entity to play these games. Soooo...

either Scamiga have underestimated C=USA and we will see product or it will play out exactly the same as all the other 'games'.

I hope C=USA has some money and can ship stuff - especially the C64 and the Amiga fantasy and other rendered stuff.
I sincerely hope that if they have some money that they start their own distro of Linux or (even better with it's Amiga ethos) Haiku. The only people interested in AROS would only come from this community I guess.

It would still be nice to hear if C=USA has, indeed, shipped anything. :-)
Colin Camper CCNP MCSE P45 UB40
A4000D