Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why can't a windows machine do it.  (Read 4889 times)

Description:

Offline nBit7Topic starter

• Show only replies by nBit7
Why can't a windows machine do it.
« on: September 19, 2007, 11:39:37 AM »
An Amiga 500 could smoothly scroll text vertically across a screen. An A500 ran with a CPU running at around 7MHz.  A PC running windows with a CPU in excess of 2000Mhz doesn't seem to be capable of this feet why it that?

what's more is a A500 could not only do this completely smoothly but also run colour effects over that text and bounce it up and down or make it follow a sine wave curve.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: Whay can't a windows machine do it.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:41:56 AM »
Enable vsync.

Offline nBit7Topic starter

• Show only replies by nBit7
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 12:02:04 PM »

Piru wrote:
Enable vsync.

I think vsync has more to do with the tearing problem.
I don't think I could notice a frame here or there dropped or repeated.  The problem is the very small pauses.  Every thing goes very smooth for a second then a small pause.

Offline BinoX

• Show only replies by BinoX
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 12:05:02 PM »
Are you referring to "Scrolling Marquee"? lol
Back to action!

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 12:22:44 PM »

Piru wrote:
Enable vsync.

That wont help if your monitor is incapable of either 50Hz or 100Hz, unless you adjust the "Settings/Host/Display/FPS adj" to "60", but then everything goes turbo, but even then there are some minor lags.

Does anyone have a monitor capable of 50 or 100Hz ? how does it feel ?  :cry:
I have spoken !

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Why can't a windows machine do it.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 01:09:02 PM »

nBit7 wrote:
An Amiga 500 could smoothly scroll text vertically across a screen. An A500 ran with a CPU running at around 7MHz.  A PC running windows with a CPU in excess of 2000Mhz doesn't seem to be capable of this feet why it that?

what's more is a A500 could not only do this completely smoothly but also run colour effects over that text and bounce it up and down or make it follow a sine wave curve.

Yeah, I've noticed that when writing SDL programs in windows... It probably has something to do with the priority of some task related to DirectX... Try compling your on a Mac, everything runs smoothly there, I suspect Apple give the gfx subsytem a higher task priority than M$ do...

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 01:26:01 PM »

bloodline wrote:

Try compling your on a Mac, everything runs smoothly there, I suspect Apple give the gfx subsytem a higher task priority than M$ do...

I'm suspecting your monitor is incapable of 50Hz, how about 100Hz then ? I want to know the reason it runs smoothly on mac.
I have spoken !

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 01:26:54 PM »

Quote:
A PC running windows with a CPU in excess of 2000Mhz doesn't seem to be capable of this feet why it that?
---------------------------------------------------------------

Quick answer: Because PC's suck.  More technical answer: because PC's suck bigtime. Correct answer: Windows sucks even bigger timer.

honestly this has been my experience my entire life with Windows. If you have to use a 50hz monitor or 100hz or whatever, that ruins the entire point of wanting to put it into Video and record the smooth text.  The only reason PC's can even scroll smooth text today and do normal things the Amiga could always do is because they have thrown so much power into PC's these days, that it fakes everything to make you think that Speed no longer matters..................

Ever notice this:  No matter how fast a PC is.....Windows always runs at the same speed! it never ever ever gets faster.................sure it does slow down if you have not much RAM, but it never gets faster.  The Amiga Flies when you add more speed and RAM, and Workbench works perfect in 7mhz mode.

Ahhhhhhh the fresh feeling of Amiga!

:-)

By the way.........in many cases I have seen.....a PC can't scroll smooth text even if your Running an Amiga Emulator!  incredible! what I mean is it looks very funny almost like the inbetween interlaces are missing.
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 01:28:07 PM »
It's because Windows is still a bit crap. I come close to a cardiac arrest whenever my PC stutters doing something it should laugh at, which it does sometimes even with a 4200 X2 and an NVidia 7900GTX. Bloody poor show but it does plays awesome games like Elder Scrolls Oblivion 1280x1024 with all options on. I guess it's the Windows failings that make me hold on to my Amiga's....and pray one day I'll have one that uses modern hardware and plays nice shiny new Amiga games. :lol:
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 02:14:58 PM »
Why can't a 12mhz amiga run a simple little raycasting/texturemapping engine like Wolf3d?  A PC can.  Golly, I guess the Amiga sucks.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Hodgkinson

• Show only replies by Hodgkinson
    • http://www.myspace.com/em_radiation *****and ***** www.booni.info
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 02:22:43 PM »
Yup.

Every time hardware advances, M$ do their best to null out the improvement. So far, they've managed this every time - Just look at PC specks and the minimum suggested requirements for the latest version of their OS.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Besides, what are they actually "*improving*" each time?
The only things i've noticed, up to XP, are:
Decent USB support
Good in-built library of drivers for P&P
Better networking config
Thumnail images (Though the thumbs.db files spread everywhere...)
Looooottttttssssss more images and fancy fading effects that serve no purpose execpt to use up CPU power and to intentionially (In the case of fades) to slow down the OS.
And plenty of irritating wizards for even the most simple of tasks, downloading photos from a camera, for instance.

Having said that, I dont actually do any programming, im just a normal computer user who can build a PC from scratch once in a while. And i'd better stop ranting, I suppose.

Hodgkinson.
Main A1200D: WB3.0, 3.1 ROMs, 2GB HDD, Blizzard 1230IV (64MB RAM + FPU) and a whole load of custom heatsinks... :flame:

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 02:35:58 PM »

Piru wrote:
Enable vsync.

Dosent that only work with opengl or direct3d or similar?
Also even with vsync on, it will still sometimes jerk when a background process is using resources. The amiga could scroll even if the cpu was loaded 90% with other tasks.
Is it even possible to get vsync in apps like powerpoint presentations and similar?

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 02:36:55 PM »

B00tDisk wrote:
Why can't a 12mhz amiga run a simple little raycasting/texturemapping engine like Wolf3d?  A PC can.  Golly, I guess the Amiga sucks.

Planar Graphics, same reason video fades work so well in spite of a 12mhz CPU. Guess the Amiga team chose video over 3d, a sensible choice back then and one that led many to use the Amiga in the first place. :-D
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 02:39:05 PM »
Sure it can! Though it will probably not run very well  ;-)
Not that it ran very well on a 80286 with ega graphics either, which is basically the specs of the pcs back then.

Offline Hodgkinson

• Show only replies by Hodgkinson
    • http://www.myspace.com/em_radiation *****and ***** www.booni.info
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 02:41:18 PM »
lol. Every time I look at a thread post here and get rid of the notification, a new one pops up just as quick...
Main A1200D: WB3.0, 3.1 ROMs, 2GB HDD, Blizzard 1230IV (64MB RAM + FPU) and a whole load of custom heatsinks... :flame: