Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which One Is Better?  (Read 1920 times)

Description:

Offline FergustTopic starter

• Show only replies by Fergust
Which One Is Better?
« on: September 25, 2010, 04:38:14 AM »
Hi I am thinking of buying my nephew one of the cheap ipad for xmas. He would only be surfing the net and maybe watching movies. Has anyone here had any experience with http://www.brandsdragon.com/Notebook-UMPC-MID-st1-sid95.html There seems to be a lot of different types and prices out there. The ones with the Android 2.1 Tablet seems to be getting the best reviews. I am just wondering if it would be worth spending $100-$200.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:14:42 AM by Argo »

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: Which One Is Better?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 03:29:50 PM »
Android tablets are just beginning to hit the market, the answer to your question changes almost daily.

Price depends on what you want on your tablet.  

I would say go with an Android 2.1 or better tablet.  It should have 256 MB of RAM. There are rumours that 3.0 recommends 512 MB, but there are only a handful tablets with that much RAM.  Gravity sensor is absolutely necessary for games. Capacitative touch is what iPad has, it's more expensive and doesn't really work with stylises, resistive is cheaper but not as responsive to touch.  Multitouch is nice but rare in Android tablets.

That being said, the G10 is a good basic tablet with multitouch and gravity sensor.  It is a 7 inch tablet.  

But again the Android tablet market is in it's infancy.  Archos is introducing some nice tablets, they aren't multitouch but they come out of some of the better chinese factories.

You don't mention what country you are in, there are a few Chinese tablets appearing in the shops in Australia, the EU and US that can be bought with various promotion codes and taken home that day.  They aren't the best, but security of having a store to return them to is worth something.

Note too that if you are in the EU all electronic devices should have a CE marker on the back.  NONE of these devices do.  Most customs authorities have overlooked that but some countries, Belgium in particular, have sometimes seized and destroyed these devices.  It's all hit and miss.  There are millions of parcels in the EU postal system coming from overseas and there may be a handful of people in the whole system that want to enforce this.

Also check out http://www.pandawill.com
http://www.merimobiles.com
http://www.flatcomputing.com

In the US the KMart empire (KMart, Sears, Bed Bath Beyond) sometimes has tablet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 04:33:27 AM »
I want to buy the cheaper ones. How about this EKEN M002 in that store? It is free shipping.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:10:36 AM »
A better idea would be to buy him a playstation game or whatever this year. Get him the tablet next year when the market is more stable. I'm not sure being first with a tablet is such a good idea if the next model has a ton more features.

If you can't find a good review, you probably won't have any luck here either.

How about an Ipod touch?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:13:35 AM by ElPolloDiabl »
Go Go Gadget Signature!

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 12:59:47 AM »
Thanks for your suggestion.:)