Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: News on the X1000!  (Read 19409 times)

Description:

Offline itix

• Show all replies
Re: News on the X1000!
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:15:22 PM »
Quote from: Norway;620243
"Remaining revision 2 boards will reach beta testers during Q2..." so thats anywhere between 25-86 days away. So if all goes to plan the Amiga X1000 will be available to buy May/June. Pg. 17 of AF.

Well, no. You didnt count beta testing.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 06:55:33 PM »
Quote from: DAX;620372
@Jorkany
It was explained at www.amigaworld.net that it was a needed step to give the green light to production of a significantly higher amount of boards (compared to the very limited Rev.1 batch).
AmigaOS might be ready for testing, but not to check out if the motherboard is working 100% and not flawed itself (you don't want to use an OS in need of testing for that).
Hence the need for a finalized OS suite to check things out and give the green light.

Hmm... why would the motherboard be flawed? According to A-eon and Hyperion almost everything was already working in May 2010:

You may have read in various interviews that AmigaOS 4.1 has been booting to Workbench on the AmigaOne X1000 hardware for quite some time. We can also confirm that additional Nemo prototypes have been supplied to several OS4 developers to allow them to complete the necessary onboard hardware drivers (SATA, Ethernet and HD sound, USB is already mostly working). Meanwhile a revision 2 version of the Nemo motherboard is being finalised and to ensure we have the widest possible testing we are making 100 Rev 2 motherboards available to Beta testers under a special discount program.

Another update in 21st July they are saying the design was finalized and OS4 running stably:

We are pleased to announce that we have finalised the design of the revision 2 "Nemo" motherboard. Following an extensive testing programme, as well as implementing a number of minor hardware fixes, we have opted to specify an upgrade to the "Xena" XMOS subsystem to provide greater functionality and performance.

The revision 2 standard will be the version shipping under the AmigaOne X1000 Beta Test Programme. With the design finalised, Hyperion Entertainment will soon be sending out the Beta Test information pack to everyone who registered their interest in joining the AmigaOne X1000 Beta Test programme.

In other good news, the Hyperion Entertainment software developers have made excellent progress since the AmigaOne X1000's public debut at the Vintage Computer Festival in June, and AmigaOS4 is now running stably at the fastest CPU speeds.

Since this board revision was finalized long ago and OS4 was already running stable we can conclude Linux was not ported to test the hardware ;-)

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:28:14 PM »
Quote from: DAX;620414
@Itix
Also consider they probably have a clause on the contract against defective boards, it is probably the Varisys guys that want a "proof" that what they will be building in numbers is good (with Linux at least), and therefore will have to be paid by A-Eon regardless if Aos4 runs perfectly or not.

Port Linux 9 months after completion of design? Hell, I can not believe they would have wasted so much time only to prove the design is working.

More likely it is used for XMOS chip. I mean, to use their Linux based development tools.

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 07:00:16 AM »
Quote from: lsmart;620533
You obvously don´t know much about making hardware in small quantities. Slipping for a year when you found a bug in a board is very common. How can they know a release board if the Beta-Testers haven´t started their work yet?

Excuse me but you are inventing your own theories.

Nobody said there is a bug in the board. This revision 2 was finalized 9 months ago and nobody said there has been new revision since then.