Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CUSA makes the BBC news site  (Read 13547 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: CUSA makes the BBC news site
« Reply #74 from previous page: April 08, 2011, 08:22:54 PM »
When there's something other than a linux distro available let us know.  There's too much vapour in this forum as it is.  Apple started with a heavily modified FreeBSD and has continued to upgrade and improve it.  There's a track record.  Anubis resurrected as Commodore OS is still talk without substance.  

I'm not interested in a computer in a keyboard, it's a silly idea in 2011, but if you come up with an interesting OS, well, that's something different.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2011, 08:24:51 PM »
Have you reviewed this product, Belial6?  I am curious where you are getting the "very good" information regarding quality.  It may very well be top notch quality, I'm just curious if you have used these machines.  The C-USA/Apple comparison is just too hysterical, not touching that with a 10 foot pole.  I have asked questions repeatedly to people about this product, all went unanswered.  I'd be happy to shut up if I could get some answers to questions I, and others - are asking.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2011, 08:34:56 PM »
It was just, right now, on the danish national news.

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2011, 08:40:17 PM »
Quote from: Duce;630199
Have you reviewed this product, Belial6?  I am curious where you are getting the "very good" information regarding quality.  It may very well be top notch quality, I'm just curious if you have used these machines.  The C-USA/Apple comparison is just too hysterical, not touching that with a 10 foot pole.  I have asked questions repeatedly to people about this product, all went unanswered.  I'd be happy to shut up if I could get some answers to questions I, and others - are asking.

Nobody has reviewed them. As far as I know, they haven't started producing them yet.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2011, 08:51:02 PM »
Quote from: Piru;630053
Amen.

It's all those small things indeed, such as:
  • enough grunt to actually be usable, unlike those crappy sub-notebooks with win7 basic. eow...
  • backlit keyboard even in the 13" model
  • environment adaptive backlighting
  • cooling system that doesn't melt the laptop if you place the system on a soft surface
  • magnetic power connector that prevents disasters (has saved 2 different macbook pros for me already)
  • aluminum body that actually can take a beating.

No other "normal" laptop would have survived the beating this one received: busted_macbook_pro.jpg (here's the same machine after some rework: mended_macbook_pro.jpg). The machine was involved in a blading accident and the guy carrying it fared worse than the laptop...

Try the same with some plasticy ACER or DELL and you end up with backbag full of laptop components. This system on the other hand works great (only dvdrw-drive ceased to function). I use it as a backup / party laptop.

After looking at Powerbooks (for future use under MorphOS) I've got to admit that I am impressed with the build quality.
Even though all these are several years old, most are still in good shape and they have many of the features you mentioned (backlit keyboards, aluminum bodies).
I can't wait to see one of these in action.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2011, 08:56:32 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;630207
After looking at Powerbooks (for future use under MorphOS) I've got to admit that I am impressed with the build quality.
Even though all these are several years old, most are still in good shape and they have many of the features you mentioned (backlit keyboards, aluminum bodies).
I can't wait to see one of these in action.

My wife still uses an old G4 power mac as her main laptop. Sturdy little beasts. Outlived pretty much any other laptop she's had.

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2011, 09:24:15 PM »
Quote from: runequester;630197
A c64 case is entirely and completely irrelevant to the amiga.
As I've said repeatedly on this forum, once they have an "amiga" product, then we'll see, and I've even supported giving them their own forum, alongside morph, aros etc.

This is where your faking ignorance again.  I have personally explained that you you previously.  You may disagree, but you definitely understand that the C64 was Commodore's predecessor to the Amiga.  CUSA is claiming that they are following the same path and are going to release Amiga's also.  You may disagree with what defines "Amiga", but you definitely understand the connection.  You may not want to, but you do.  Continuing to claim that you are incapable of seeing anyone's point of view but your own is simply trolling.

Actually,when Barry answered some of my questions on this forum in the past, it seemed pretty clear that we're talking linux plus emulation.

Anything in writing, from the company, with specifics of more than linux+vice/UAE would be welcome, and actually be relevant and interesting news.

Yes, the method that they have been talking about in providing C64 and AmigaOS compatibility is via UAE.  Emulation is the ONLY way that compatibility can be achieved.  Every OS that isn't on a 68K is using emulation for compatibility with the 68k.  You are aware of this.  Pretending like you don't understand how this relates to Amiga is beyond silly.  And you can be sure that if DELL started talking big about including AmigaOS compatibility via emulation on their systems standard from the factory, they would definitely be discussed here.  You may not find a manufacturer shipping systems that can run Amiga 68k code standard interesting, but claiming that you don't understand why other people do is just trolling.

If there's actual evidence that they are developing some sort of OS themselves, I'd love to see it. /that/ would actually be interesting and highly relevant.
Anyone undertaking this effort in 2011 is either loaded beyond belief with money and talent or crazy. For all we know, Barry might be both.

They have stated their plan to use Linux as a starting point.  Just as Apple used BSD as a starting point.  This was explained to you in the very post you responded to.  You might not agree with it as a good direction to go.  You might believe they will fail, but you definitely understand why there is interest in it.  Pretending like you don't is simply trolling.

The truth is what is actually available for customers to buy. Nothing more. Nothing less.

So, just like a huge number of other Amiga related topics that you understand the interest in.  Again, pretending to not understand is simple trolling.

So we are basing this all on future promises then?

Partially yes, although CUSA has proven that they can do at least some things that many nay sayers have claimed they could not.  So, they have started to create credibilty to their claims.  Of course, you are certainly aware that credibility has never had a bearing on whether something is Amiga related or not.  So, trying to claim that you don't understand the relationship between CUSA and Amiga based on that is....Yep.  Trolling.

You are trying to sound "Reasonable" by claiming that you are not bitching, complaining or taking sides, and that you "I am genuinely missing what possible benefit CUSA is bringing to "the brand" that isn't already available with any other PC out there".  The fact is that you are bitching and complaining.  It isn't that there is something anything about CUSA that you don't understand.  It's that they are not pushing your particular strain of Amiga, and you don't get why everyone else doesn't just agree with you, and you feel that playing dumb makes you look better than taking the Franko route.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2011, 09:28:25 PM »
Quote from: runequester;630209
My wife still uses an old G4 power mac as her main laptop. Sturdy little beasts. Outlived pretty much any other laptop she's had.

I have one of the first Intel MacBooks. It's my beater laptop, and has seen a lot of travel miles both in cars and by bicycle. It's been dropped, sat on, and my cat likes to sleep on it at night. Still solid and works like a charm.

Meanwhile my Dell laptop that I use for work and spends 99.9% of it's time on a desk feels like it's about to crumble whenever I pick it up. I can't imagine it surviving the travels the MacBook has been through.

Offline cha05e90

• Show only replies by cha05e90
    • http://www.ruthe.info
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2011, 09:35:18 PM »
@Belial6
Just as Apple started with BSD as a jumping off point.
When - exactly - Apple sold "Macintoshs" with an vanilla BSD distro, an Apple desktop backdrop and Sheepshaver for running 68k MacOS software?
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000

Offline cha05e90

• Show only replies by cha05e90
    • http://www.ruthe.info
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »
@Belial6
Just as Apple started with BSD as a jumping off point.

When - exactly - Apple sold "Macintoshs" with an vanilla BSD distro, an Apple desktop backdrop and Sheepshaver for running 68k MacOS software?
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2011, 09:39:18 PM »
Quote from: Belial6;630213
This is where your faking ignorance again.  I have personally explained that you you previously.  You may disagree, but you definitely understand that the C64 was Commodore's predecessor to the Amiga.  CUSA is claiming that they are following the same path and are going to release Amiga's also.  You may disagree with what defines "Amiga", but you definitely understand the connection.  You may not want to, but you do.  Continuing to claim that you are incapable of seeing anyone's point of view but your own is simply trolling.

The C64 was designed by entirely different people, under different management and in a different era, based on different hardware.
Its only connection is that it was done by the same company. The similarities are as big as they are between windows mobile and windows 3.1.

If you feel like a C64 case is a big deal for the amiga community, then good for you.

Yes, the method that they have been talking about in providing C64 and AmigaOS compatibility is via UAE.  Emulation is the ONLY way that compatibility can be achieved.  Every OS that isn't on a 68K is using emulation for compatibility with the 68k.  You are aware of this.  Pretending like you don't understand how this relates to Amiga is beyond silly.  And you can be sure that if DELL started talking big about including AmigaOS compatibility via emulation on their systems standard from the factory, they would definitely be discussed here.  You may not find a manufacturer shipping systems that can run Amiga 68k code standard interesting, but claiming that you don't understand why other people do is just trolling.

The relevance to the amiga community is a bundled emulator? You genuinely feel that this is somehow going to resurrect the amiga?
That people should be excited that someone is bundling an emulator with a stock linux install ?

When people talk about how much good CUSA is doing to the brand, this is what there is to point to?

They have stated their plan to use Linux as a starting point.  Just as Apple used BSD as a starting point.  This was explained to you in the very post you responded to.  You might not agree with it as a good direction to go.  You might believe they will fail, but you definitely understand why there is interest in it.  Pretending like you don't is simply trolling.

Links to concrete plans for what they are doing please? Even the "commodore OS" discussions on their own forums are painfully vague beyond "linux and emulation".
Dates? Package management? Window manager? File systems? What will be unique to this distribution? How many people are involved in this? What sort of file systems will it run on?

Not hopefull well wishing but actual stuff they have announced. As I said before, a ways back, when Barry spent some time answering questions, the responses given were very straight forward. I don't see what mis representing them on the company's behalf is doing for you, other than wishful thinking and the urge to defend a company.
Dammy is doing a pretty good job at inventing things over on moobunny. I don't think he needs the help.

So, just like a huge number of other Amiga related topics that you understand the interest in.  Again, pretending to not understand is simple trolling.

Good for you. You won the internet.

Partially yes, although CUSA has proven that they can do at least some things that many nay sayers have claimed they could not.  So, they have started to create credibilty to their claims.  Of course, you are certainly aware that credibility has never had a bearing on whether something is Amiga related or not.  So, trying to claim that you don't understand the relationship between CUSA and Amiga based on that is....Yep.  Trolling.

They have proven themselves when there's an actual product in peoples hands. Care to review yours or are we still waiting for June when the 64x ships?

You are trying to sound "Reasonable" by claiming that you are not bitching, complaining or taking sides, and that you "I am genuinely missing what possible benefit CUSA is bringing to "the brand" that isn't already available with any other PC out there".  The fact is that you are bitching and complaining.  It isn't that there is something anything about CUSA that you don't understand.  It's that they are not pushing your particular strain of Amiga, and you don't get why everyone else doesn't just agree with you, and you feel that playing dumb makes you look better than taking the Franko route.

Thats the best you could do for a personal attack? Nobody takes any pride in anything anymore.

To sum this up: My disbelief is that a bunch of people is getting fired up about all the good this is doing the amiga brand.. based on a theoretical future product with an unspecified software solution that everybody but the company says will be an amazing new system.
Oh, and a C64 case running ubuntu.

And you wonder why people don't understand it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:44:19 PM by runequester »

Offline crawff

• Show only replies by crawff
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2011, 10:05:31 PM »
@Belial6

You sound like a right smug twat.

Yep you got it..trolling.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2011, 10:05:48 PM »
Quote from: cha05e90;630216
@Belial6

Commodore 64 was shipped with Microsoft Basic as it's user interface. Shipping with Microsoft Windows just follows this path.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2011, 10:15:49 PM »
Quote from: Hammer;630231
Commodore 64 was shipped with Microsoft Basic as it's user interface. Shipping with Microsoft Windows just follows this path.

They don't ship with windows btw.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2011, 10:17:20 PM »
Quote from: Daedalus;630070

That's a key thing there. Show me any laptop from any other manufacturer, high end or otherwise, that doesn't have air vents on the bottom. I mean, it's crazy. The amount of Dell XPSs I've seen with busted motherboards because of overheating, and some of them cost more than a Macbook. Granted, they're known to have GPU cooling problems, but even so - you pay €1,300 for a laptop, you expect it to not require a motherboard replacement every year or so until the extended warranty runs out.

MacBook Pro has it's own issues with cooling issues. Remember, the PC industry has issues with NVIDIA Geforce 8400M(G86M)/8600M (G84M) "bump gate".

PS; I own Dell Studio XPS 1645 (Y2010) with cooler AMD Radeon HD 5730M/6570M (26 watts). The latest MacBook Pro 2011 with AMD Radeon HD 6750M (~30-35 watts) spec looks good. My Dell Studio XPS 1645 (Y2010) has backlit keyboard and metal body on the main case.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:30:27 PM by Hammer »

Offline Hammer

« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2011, 10:24:44 PM »
Quote from: runequester;630242
They don't ship with windows btw.

C64 was still shipped with Microsoft's user interface solution. Microsoft Windows follows Microsoft Basic's OEM business model.

For user interface, there are plenty of 8bit micro-computers with shipped Microsoft Basic.
Microsoft's early success wasn't fluke.