Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CUSA makes the BBC news site  (Read 13731 times)

Description:

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: CUSA makes the BBC news site
« on: April 08, 2011, 03:23:57 PM »
Quote from: mdwh2;630045

Today's "Macs" are just PCs in an Apple branded box. But no one moans about that.

Actually if you look around the mac community there's a vocal minority who do complain about just that.  They ascribe some kind of mystical magical spiritual significance to the old PPC chips.  They speak of how not being "just a PC" somehow made the mac experience better.  My mother-in-law rushed out to buy a Powermac just so she wouldn't have an intel mac - "Because of all the problems PCs have." (yes, this was her reason)

They're stupid reasons, they're meaningless, made-up reasons...but they're reasons none-the-less.

It's kind of like the arbitrary lines drawn by some raving Amiga fanatics: how a COTS PPC motherboard made by a dying-now-dead Taiwanese company was somehow magically an Amiga, but Amithlon or WinUAE which are unarguably more capable of running Amiga software weren't Amigas.

Frankly I hope CUSA provides - either through UAE/WinUAE or some other means - a method of seamlessly running Amiga apps on the new Amiga-branded hardware they sell.  Not because I give a fig (software wise, there's nothing on the Amiga of any use to me except the occasional game), but just so it can be demonstrated who actually sells an Amiga.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline B00tDisk

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 03:34:50 PM »
Quote from: Piru;630053
Amen.

It's all those small things indeed, such as:
  • enough grunt to actually be usable, unlike those crappy sub-notebooks with win7 basic. eow...
  • backlit keyboard even in the 13" model
  • environment adaptive backlighting
  • cooling system that doesn't melt the laptop if you place the system on a soft surface
  • magnetic power connector that prevents disasters (has saved 2 different macbook pros for me already)
  • aluminum body that actually can take a beating.

No other "normal" laptop would have survived the beating this one received: busted_macbook_pro.jpg (here's the same machine after some rework: mended_macbook_pro.jpg). The machine was involved in a blading accident and the guy carrying it fared worse than the laptop...

Try the same with some plasticy ACER or DELL and you end up with backbag full of laptop components. This system on the other hand works great (only dvdrw-drive ceased to function). I use it as a backup / party laptop.

And yet just last night I rebuilt an ancient IBM Thinkpad that'd taken a tumble to a concrete floor, losing only the corner (and subsequently support for the display hinges) and refurbed it to working in about 30 minutes.

I've rebuilt and tinkered with all computers.  Nobody has the market on reliability.  Nobody.  Statistics are not your friend.  MBTF for soldering joints is MBTF for soldering joints.  Percentages of DOA RAM or hard drives that die two weeks out is just the same.  Steve Jobs doesn't flit out of his chemotherapy tent and sprinkle magic pixie dust on each and every Apple product to protect it from any and all harm.  Indeed I'd wager the exact opposite is probable.  Apple users tend to be real religious fanatics about their gear, and where a PC user would toss a commodity laptop or netbook, or cell phone or mp3 player, the Cult of Apple takes it back time and time and time again.  Apple repairs them accordingly (in large part so they can hang on to their customer base).  Net result is guy with a busted up mac who takes it back a few times will tell you "Oh my god, this thing has taken such punishment!" and the PC user?  He's replaced it because he has no religious affiliation with his computer equipment.  The Jobsian Reality Distortion Field is carried in part by its users.

Then there's stuff like this and in general, this.

Offline B00tDisk

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 03:38:05 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;630097
Solder joints? Consumer market crap!

Wire-wrap for MIL SPEC!

Jorkany FTW! :D