Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: USB Playstation Adapter for Amiga  (Read 2433 times)

Description:

Offline game_fanTopic starter

• Show only replies by game_fan
USB Playstation Adapter for Amiga
« on: November 16, 2002, 09:29:14 PM »
I reguarly import gaming items from Hong Kong to sell in this country and one of them happens to be a USB Playstation Pad adapter for Mac`s and PC`s.

The drivers are automatically installed in XP, 2000, ME and on the MAC.

Now I was wondering how hard it would be for someone to write an Amiga driver for one of these?

And if possible, would someone be willing to do so for a small fee. I don`t know how many USB equiped amiga`s there are (what about the new machines ?)

If this is possible then I may consider shipping over a couple of thousand and not only selling them as MAC, PC compatible, but to Amiga dealers too.

I remember a parallel port adapter ages ago in Amiga Format, but i can`t seem to find it anywhere.

This adapter does support the analogue sticks, but not the rumble (it is possible at a higher price)

Retail would be between £12.99-19.99, depending on whether retailers did stock it or not. (I sell if for £12.99 usually).

I only run my business part-time (I am a student), but if anyone would be interested, then it could prove to be good.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: USB Playstation Adapter for Amiga
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2002, 10:49:39 PM »
I don't know about the USB solution, but currently I'm using a parallel port adaptor right now for a playstation pad. It's called a PSXPort and you can still get them from Amiga hardware retailers.

Offline Nick

• Show only replies by Nick
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2002, 11:48:59 PM »
Yes the current ones are all well and good, but a USB solution would be better.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2002, 01:45:39 AM »
Yes the current ones are all well and good, but a USB solution would be better.

Maybe, if you have a parallel printer and don't want to need a switchbox, and USB also provides enough power for a multitap. There's not much difference apart from that, except that psxport exists, USB adaptors don't (at the moment).

But the big problem in both cases is that 98% of Amiga programs bang the hardware when using joysticks so these solutions wont work anyway. Even PSXPort needs to run a patch on lowlevel.lib to work with progs that support it, if its psxport.device isn't used directly. All WHDLoad games and almost all older games can't use the psx joypad. :-(

Offline Panthro

• Show only replies by Panthro
    • http://www.hell-fish.tk
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2002, 02:06:25 AM »

almost all older games can't use the psx joypad. :-(

who cares about playing The NewZeland Story now????? :-P
Not me standard addaptor for a PS2 pad would rock!!
I could use it to play car or tank games or even...
if you spoke to Hyperion you might be able to make
it use a standard part of the OS and thus compatible
with ALL games under OS4 emu!!!     :-D  
-Panthro

Offline jahc

• Show only replies by jahc
    • http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2002, 02:58:46 AM »
of course it wont work with old games, but future games will all use WarpInput/AmigaInput (I dont know what theyre calling it now!).. actually, a port of UAE for OS 4.0 would probably use AmigaInput, so I guess it could work with old games. :)

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2002, 10:18:32 AM »
Even if it only worked on newer games or future releases, it would be something.

It`s not as if theres any other better solutions, well maybe except for old CD32 pads.

It would be good if there was support for USB Joysticks in future OS releases, this adapter autoconfigs as a USB joystick on Windows and Mac boxes, hence I don`t know if it would require a driver in those cases.

Offline Nick

• Show only replies by Nick
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2002, 10:28:50 AM »
Yes that was my point. Who cares if old games can`t use it, I was on about for new games. The AMiga needs control hardware or else it will slip into the games dilema its in now. Were games might support analog joystick or not and it might support PSX pads but probably not. If it was treated like any other pad then COOL!. It would be very nice if it is compatible with the newer DualShock 2 pads though.

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2002, 10:36:28 AM »
The normal USB Joystick driver in Windows supports the analog functions of the dualshock pads (without the need for another driver), If there was a decent USB Joystick driver in future OS releases then I`m sure this adapter would be picked up as another USB Joystick.