Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BOH, brand-new game launched  (Read 4897 times)

Description:

Offline saimoTopic starter

BOH, brand-new game launched
« on: April 04, 2009, 07:08:54 PM »
Campobasso, Italy - April 4th, 2009

EDITEL is pleased to announce the immediate availability of BOH, a brand-new game for AmigaOS 4 and Windows.

BOH is a game of exploration and action. You move in claustrophobic and dangerous battlefields searching for the Evil Masters. This no easy task not only because of the traps-packed corridors and mind-blowing puzzles, but also because of the countless enemies that the Evil Masters throw at you more and more until you discover them - at that point, you will be attacked directly by the Evil Masters themselves, the toughest of all. Although your quests are made slightly less hard by the bonuses and power-ups scattered all around the battlefield, carrying out the missions demands lots of concentration and quick reflexes.

The game features:
 * immediate & addictive gameplay;
 * immersive & thrilling action;
 * 25 challenging missions divided into 5 levels of difficulty;
 * multi-phase missions;
 * battlefields of any size and shape (also spread over multiple floors);
 * AI-driven enemies;
 * hand-pixelled 2D graphics;
 * real-time lighting;
 * atmospheric audio;
 * full expandibility (themes, missions, languages);
 * Deutsch, English, Español, Français and Italiano translations.

BOH comes on a CD-ROM (containing both the AmigaOS and the Windows versions) in a plastic DVD box along with a 24 pages, full-color printed manual (English only), at the bargain price of EUR 12.50 (VAT excluded).

At www.bohthegame.com you will find more information, screenshots, a 5 minutes trailer and you will also be able to order your copy.

Do not hesitate to dive into a new, exciting adventure!

---
EDITEL snc
via Trento, 20 - 86100 Campobasso (CB) - Italy
VAT no.: IT00814390704
RETREAM - retro dreams for Amiga, Commodore 64 and PC

Re: BOH, brand-new game launched
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 01:13:23 AM »
@zyphoid & hooligan

I do not know the games you mention, but I do know the games that inspired BOH ;-)
Here is a little excerpt of the "TRIVIA" section of the user manual: "As regards the gameplay, BOH was inspired by these C64 titles: Wizard of Wor, The Amazing Spider-Man and Impossible Mission I and II; from a technical point of view, inspiration came from the MS-DOS version of Shadowlands and a coin-op Formula 1 game (maybe Tail to Nose); other games that may have had an influence are Alien Breed II and The Chaos Engine, both for the Amiga computer."

saimo

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 01:15:40 AM »
@hooligan

Doesn't look all that bad judging by the trailer.

BTW: please keep in mind that the actual game looks a lot better with respect to both the smoothness and the crispness of the graphics.

saimo

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 01:16:36 AM »
@yssing

It looks great :)

Thanks for the compliment! :-)

saimo

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 01:34:05 AM »
@easy_john

First off, thanks for the feedback.

Site - awful.

Do you mean the general design or are you referring to the points you raise below?

Text justification on width - is awful.

I must say I cannot see anything wrong with it. Can you please tell me what is so bad about it?

A monospace font - it is awful.

This must be a problem with the font configuration of your browser: the site only asks for a sans-serif font.

Static width of the block - it is awful.

I understand that this may feel like a (little) constraint. Sorry.

Unknown minimum requirements for amiga - does it run on a4000 with AmigaOS 4?

Requirements are the same for all machines (namely: 500 MHz CPU, 16 MB of RAM, 32-bit graphics card, 16-bit sound card, CD-ROM drive, 5 MB of disk space).

Shipping? You write about shipping at purchase with Paypal??? Why I cannot download game immediately after payment? Why I should wait for 2-4 weeks? Is now 21 centuries?

The product is meant to be a "tangible" one. I thought it was something the Amiga market missed and that amigans would appreciate it (at such low price).
The long delivery time is due to the cheap shipping method - a faster one can be chosen, of course, but then shipping would easily cost more than the game itself.

There is no at least a playable demo - awfully.

I am considering it (but not making any promise).
I am also thinking about making the PDF version of the manual available, so that it is easier to get an idea - the manual really says a lot of things, with its 24 pages ;-)

The trailer looks not bad.

A remember that it looks even better in reality (maybe I will publish also a real-world video to show it) ;-)

If to shut eyes to that is remake AlienBreed. :)

Yes, there are elements in common with Alien Breed (see one of my previous posts above).

saimo

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 01:04:20 PM »
@gazgod

Not to be confused with BOFH :-D

Definitely :lol:

saimo

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 01:13:17 PM »
@easy_john

very sorry, my fault - invalid font for this size.
after fixing - site looks better. :)

No problem.

bad. a4000 only have 233 mhz.

CPU power is needed because everything is done by the CPU - and there are some demanding tasks going on there: 24-bit interpolated rotation, 24-bit real-time lighting, 8-bit alphachannel, etc. The upcoming update will include the possibility of disabling interpolation, which maybe could make the game perfectly playable also on your machine.

there is no such thing as faster shipping for some country, for example get package in Russia faster then 4 weeks - miracle, because 2-3 weeks spent for custom procedures..

Oh, well... strange... the delivery time of the International Express Courier is said to be 2-10 days for Russia... the only *slight* problem is that it costs EUR 46.70! :-o

saimo

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 01:16:19 PM »
@ChaosLord

I produce an immediately downloadable game for Amiga OS: Total Chaos AGA. Most people are happy with it but a few complain: "I want a real CD and a printed 100 page instruction manual! Gimme something tangible, not just an internet download! Gimme gimme gimme!"

No matter what you do, you just can't win. :crazy:

Yeah, right. But, after all, it is just normal that one cannot please everyone...

saimo

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 01:23:02 PM »
@hooligan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNLBcx1EZec

Amiga version was a really good game

You are right, it definitely has more than something in common with my game.

saimo

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 01:24:20 PM »
@Trezzer

The game is looking pretty sweet, Saimo :)

I'm glad you like it ;-)

I love the combination of the soundtrack and the visuals in the trailer.

Yeah, I spent some time to sync the visuals with the audio...

saimo

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 03:00:29 PM »
Hi all,

I just wanted to inform you that now the DOWNLOADS page of the website allows you to get hold of the PDF version of the user's manual (including the updated version relative to the upcoming update). Having a look at it is highly recommended to get a good idea of what the game offers ;-)

edit: I have also added a screenshots page, which includes 3 new grabs (more will come later).

saimo

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 07:34:03 AM »
@NovaCoder

Thank you :-)

saimo

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 09:05:24 AM »
Hi again,

as promised, I uploaded a new video showing a real-world session: the direct link is http://www.bohthegame.com/data/game_session.wmv (the file size is about 129 MB).

Moreover, I added 4 new screenshots to the SCREENSHOTS page of the website.

Enjoy,
saimo

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
@motorollin

This really looks like my kind of game.

I'm happy to hear this :-D

A playable demo would be great as I don't like to buy games I haven't had a chance to try.

I have been thinking about a demo, both before and after I got requests, and the conclusion is this: unfortunately, it cannot be done. I will try to explain why.
Two of the main design choices of BOH are these:
 * it can be expanded by just adding data files to the missions/themes/translations directories;
 * at any time, the player can freely choose any mission among those that he has installed - i.e. the game is non-linear (although some missions are subdivided in phases, so the player can access the later phases only if he manages to complete the previous ones).
This means that distributing a full-working demo would be a sort of self-piracy (as the distribution of data files would be trivial), also if one looks at the future: when expansions will be released (by me or third parties), the "demo" version will allow to enjoy them without problems.
On the other hand, if I distribute a feature-wise crippled version, the game would not be really enjoyable, and maybe make a bad impression.

BOH has an oddly Doom-like feel to me. I think it's the claustrophobic feel combined with the maze-like maps which mean that you can't see what's around the corner (or sneaking up on you!) :-D

Perfectly spot on!!! Some of the AIs are precisely coded to work that way ;)
Just think that several times, while testing the missions I was developing myself, I found myself jumping on the chair ;-)
Unfortunately this aspect is not really represented by the videos, because when I recorded them, to keep them short, I was playing like a robot knowing perfectly where to go and what to do (although in a couple occasions I wasted some time for the pure fun of it) - but, believe me, when one, surrounded by darkness, does not really know whether to turn left or right, the tension gets high ;-)

BTW: I'm putting up a page where videos can be streamed from.

saimo

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 10:09:58 AM »
@motorollin

Oh, and a Mac version would be nice ;-)

It is the next thing on the TODO list after the update and the additional themes I am working on, if the game has success ;-)

saimo