Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaKit Named AmigaOne X1000 Distributor  (Read 7325 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show all replies
Re: AmigaKit Named AmigaOne X1000 Distributor
« on: May 05, 2010, 04:09:58 AM »
Sadly there really isn't anything that it could do better than a PC or Mac, not with those specs anyway.  X1000 is a long way from cutting edge...

Quote from: amigadave;556715
Porsche Cayenne = VW Toureg + $$$

I heard that the Toureg has been discontinued in favor of the smaller turbo SUV that VW just came out with.  Too bad, VW Toureg finished 1st, 2nd, & 3rd at Dakar Rally this year.  I wonder if the Toureg was discontinued because it was hurting sales of the Cayenne?

@Pyromania,

The AmigaOne X-1000 can only create a niche for itself if it can be shown to do something better or different than any competing computer, and that has not been demonstrated yet (I hope it will be shown).  Just running AmigaOS4.1 faster than a SAM or Pegasos2 is not going to be enough to make it a success.  More developers and software is a must, I agree!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 03:39:09 PM »
I don't know, I guess somebody had to try it to find out if there is a market.  My gut feeling is 5 to 10 thousand max hardcore Amigans left.  If you can sell that many X1000s it will be a success, I suspect theres a few hundred €'s profit in each machine, so lets take €250 as a found figure.  5000 units times €250 = €1.25 million.  Steve Jobs probably has a higher credit card limit, but for a small company that's not bad.  Enough to keep them in business anyway and maybe develop a the higher end machine that some want.

You have to crawl before you can walk after all.  I'm out, I've blown this years computer budget on my wife's iMac, a Mac Mini for the TV and an iPad, but get some apps and develop a true high end machine I might be in the market next year...

Quote from: vidarh;556766
I'm not so sure. I'm a hardcore geek so I'm a special case ;) But my brother is not, and while he mostly played games, what he's been looking at again was the whole experience. He can play the games under UAE, but that was not enough.

And while AOS4 doesn't look or behave exactly the same, our memories tend to be rose-tinted too (it took me a while to get over the shock of just how primitive even 2.04 was when I got my Minimig set up...) but most of the things many of us *do* fondly remember are still there.

Anyway, even if you're right, as I wrote, even 0.1% is more than 5000 people.

Personally I think the potential is higher - many people are willing to spend a *lot* of money to get back that feeling of computing being fun. A PC doesn't deliver that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 05:28:43 PM »
No, mass market isn't realistic, nor do they seem to be aiming for it.  If they could ultimately get their price/performance down to near Apple levels and get a few unique apps out there, I could easily see the rebirth of the cult of Amiga...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]