Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology FAQ Part III  (Read 4207 times)

Description:

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
Re: A-EON Technology FAQ Part III
« on: April 03, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »
I hate to be so negative, but when I read this stuff, the total craziness of the claims they are making just sound ridiculous. I read one thing but I hear another. Perhaps its because I was once involved in manufacturing, and I know for a fact you can't take a technology product from vaporware to reality in less than a year. They promised this computer for 2010 but everytime they talk, I hear a different translation to what they say. Maybe they can make this work since I doubt they will sell more than 100 worldwide, but hey, I still have my bs translator on when I read what they say...

Interview (with translations for the not so stoopid!)

We are currently in the process of deciding the final specification for the standard A1-X1000 production model. We know exactly what parts we want, but we have to ensure that those parts are obtainable in the quantities we need, with suitable volume discounts and lead times.
Translation :
We had some ideas for parts before we made our puzzling announcment
about this computer, but hey, alot of those parts didn't pan out. Right now we're scrambling on ebay trying to buy 2 or 3 hundred video cards
for cheap that we can charge 10 times what they cost us. Did we really say this computer would be for sale in 2010? We meant 2010 if we could find parts, otherwise, it will be ready in 2012."

Will the A1-X1000 be able to make use of the dual core CPU from its first release or will this feature be implemented later?
In the initial A1-X1000 release, AmigaOS 4.1 will not make use of the second CPU core but this is something that the OS4 developers are planning for a subsequent update.

Translation :
"We're already backpedaling what we promised, because we jumped the    gun making promises for technology mac, linux and windows had 10 years ago. Instead... We'll just put an extra processor in there and hope someone else does all the work that is required to make it work like it should someday. If it never works, you can still tell people you have a dual processor amiga!" Just don't mention one dosn't work, and no one will be the wiser!"

"Our initial aim is to produce the ultimate AmigaOne Power computer that can showcase the advanced features of AmigaOS4. "
Translation :
We may have aimed too high because OS4 won't support much in this
computer, but hey, you can write your own drivers and software with
our advanced off the shelf CUSTOM chip we plan to glue on top of this motherboard! Did we say custom chip? We meant custom RIP!

Obviously the final price point is something that everyone wants to know as soon as possible, but a degree of uncertainty is inevitable with an immature supply chain.
Translation :
Even though we promised this computer for 2010, and there is just
8 or 9 months left in the year... Well, we don't even have working
final prototypes yet, so we have no idea what this will cost.
Hey give us a break, do you actually expect us to even know
how much it will cost when we don't even have one done yet?
Give us a break!

It’s our intention that the A1-X1000 will be sold as a pre-built, pre-installed AmigaOS4.x system complete with an officially branded case, mouse & keyboard and complete with RAM, HDD, Optical drive and graphics card. We have no plans to release the motherboard separately at this moment in time.
Translation :
This is what we planned, but hey no promises. Just 8 or 9 months left in the year and we still don't have keyboards or cases for this computer we promised to be released in 2010. We think we can get these manufactured in a week, since we will only need about 100 right? Hell yeah, any company in the world will design, custom mold and make us keyboards, mice and cases very quickly in very small quantities. We might just buy 10 to start off we think.

Good luck Aeon, You will need it to keep your schedule. Next time, just shut up until you have them boxed up and ready to ship, because you will just embaress yourself with this vapor-puter. Already backpedaling promises and making excuses, sheesh.

Steven