Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How To Install WB 3.1 from Gotek  (Read 2476 times)

Description:

Offline pneronTopic starter

• Show only replies by pneron
    • http://www.incrediblesteps.com
How To Install WB 3.1 from Gotek
« on: December 27, 2016, 10:45:23 AM »
I am having a problem with my CDROM and cannot access the internet nor install O/S3.9. Thus, I am now trying to use the GOTEK ADK drive to install 3.1WB but I keep getting this message when I run the INSTALL: "Volume Workbench 3.1 Full?" I can see all my HardDrives and have lots of space. Just don't know how to redirect the install or fix this problem.

Thanks everyone
A2000: OS3.1.4|Picasso II|Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 Sunrize cards|HydraNexus|Cocolino|Gotex Floppy Emulator |Mac OSX (main DAW) | Windows
Incredible Steps Film and Music

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: How To Install WB 3.1 from Gotek
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 12:58:02 PM »
It's probably telling you that the floppy disk is full. Are you installing via the standard 3.1 install script? Are the drives prepped and formatted correctly?

I'd recommend addressing  the other problems you already listed first.
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 03:00:46 PM »
It's been an awfully long time since I tried running a CLI script...

... From what I remember, the INSTALL command just writes a boot track onto a specified drive (DF0:, HD0: or similar). You can't ever Install CD0:, because that would try to write a boot sector to a CD (read only device, cannot be written on).

If you want to run a CLI or Shell script, you have to EXECUTE it. That could be where the confusion has arisen. You can RUN an executable program, RUN will start up a little separate CLI or Shell for that program. Just typing the program name and hitting the Enter key will start the executable going in the current CLI / Shell.

Hand crafting an Amiga boot partition, I usually;-

1) Format the device.

2) Put a boot track on the device.

3) Copy the Workbench floppy  to the device, keeping same directory structure.

4) Copy custom hardware device drivers (anything ending in device) to the DEVS folder, all the Handler files (everything ending -handler) to the L folder. A lot of these were built into 3.1, like CrossDOS for reading PC formatted disks. Had to be put in by hand on earlier revisions of AmigaDOS,

5. Similarly, if you have custom libraries like icon.library, make sure they go in libs (and of course, you need 68040 library or 68060 library if you have such a processor fitted.

Must admit, never tried the above on 3.1. But it should give you a rough idea on what is needed for a successfully booting Amiga and what isn't. S folder (startup-sequence), L folder (handlers), C folder (commands), Devs folder (devices), Libs folder (libraries) and ENV folder for 2.04 and later systems to remember user-preferences. It is often possible just to read a whole CD-ROM (one that boots on a real Amiga) to your hard drive, put a boot track on the drive (Install HD0:) and your Amiga starts up as if booting the drive... Not always what you want, but it is a starting point for a working, booting Amiga.

One complication for you is probably not having a 3.1 ROM chip in your A2000. That's OK with just about every single Accelerator card, you can set the machine to cold boot from it's internal ROM, then read the ROM you want into accelerated FAST memory and reboot to a warm booted, 3.1 OS. You lose 1MB of fast RAM, and having a real ROM chip saves you a reboot, but technically ROM code executed a sideways ROM will run faster than code run from a ROM chip anyway. Your Amiga boots slower but runs faster when it has finished booting.

Come to think of it, RELOKICK software will let you map fast RAM as a ROM on any Amiga, not just accelerated ones. Of course, you need to have plenty of fast RAM fitted to the Amiga in question in order to make that a useful thing.,,
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:31:53 PM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 03:45:49 PM »
No idea what the above instructions are supposed to be for.  Assuming you have correctly installed your hard drives and have a set of (6) .adf files loaded onto your GoTek comprised of the 3.1 Workbench disks, all you should have to do is double click on the install icon on the first disk and let the installer script take it from there.  Once the install is done then you can drop in any additional libraries (such as icon.library - note the special instructions for adding this under 3.1 listed in it's docs).
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Thomas

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 04:00:03 PM »
Quote from: pneron;818246
I keep getting this message when I run the INSTALL: "Volume Workbench 3.1 Full?"

Never never never never select "Novice" mode when installing something with the Amiga installer. Always use "Advanced" or "Expert" mode. In this case for example it would ask you where to install to and not silently try to install to the floppy disk.

And always keep your original floppy disks write protected. I don't know if the Gotek supports this, but you should try at least.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 04:20:22 PM »
Quote from: Thomas;818268
Never never never never select "Novice" mode when  installing something with the Amiga installer. Always use "Advanced" or  "Expert" mode. In this case for example it would ask you where to  install to and not silently try to install to the floppy disk.

And always keep your original floppy disks write protected. I don't know  if the Gotek supports this, but you should try at least.

Very, very, good advice.:banana:

Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;818267
No idea what the above instructions are supposed to be for.

It's called dealing with AmigaDOS, Mike. Typing commands into Shells as opposed to clicking on icons.

And it works with any Amiga, so it can be very useful when you are trying to install an operating system on a fresh drive.

It's  the chicken and egg conumdrum. You can't boot an Amiga from a  device which isn't  boot enabled, and you can't boot enable a device  from the Shell until  you have at least booted an Amiga to the point of  having a shell... but if you  can get a system to the point of having a  Shell to type into, the "Copy" command is inbuilt, so you can   physically copy files to where they should be, in order for the system   to fully boot into Workbench. And that is the point where most people  end up after successfully using HDToolBox to prepare a drive for use on  an Amiga - booting drive, no operating system, just stops at a shell  prompt.

If you can just copy an old self booting Amiga CD (magazine coverdisks  are still very very useful sometimes) to your hard drive, it's a damn  sight more useful to begin with than relying on a set of Commodore  floppies, the Cloanto CD, and downloads. I'm not saying it's a finished  install, but it should work well enough for later tweaking.

And if you look at the spec, there's no mention of what ROM chips are plugged into the A2000. They might be trying to install 3.1 Workbench without 3.1 ROMs fitted. Technically possible, but still frowned upon by some people. Having an 060 means they can use a sideways mapped ROM image of 3.1, but it would require a tweak of the startup-sequence to check the operating system fitted, and if needed, map the 3.1 ROM in and reboot, otherwise continue booting using the 3.1 Workbench files stored on the hard drive.

Such a system would technically run a bit faster. Why have fancy hardware if you don't use it? :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 04:51:44 PM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline Motormouth

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 04:29:07 PM »
Quote from: Thomas;818268
Never never never never select "Novice" mode when installing something with the Amiga installer. Always use "Advanced" or "Expert" mode. In this case for example it would ask you where to install to and not silently try to install to the floppy disk.

And always keep your original floppy disks write protected. I don't know if the Gotek supports this, but you should try at least.

Ditto of what Thomas said:
It sound like the install script is attempting to install onto your floppy ie df0:, df1:, etc.
I suggest you use expert mode and make sure you are installing on your harddrive.
The partition names could be anything, but the traditional ones (from the 2090a days) are dh0:, dh1:, etc.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 05:55:16 PM »
Quote from: Pat the Cat;818270
And if you look at the spec, there's no mention of what ROM chips are plugged into the A2000.

If you look at his signature it says "WB 3.1".  Maybe that's an assumption on my part to assume that he's trying to install 3.1, but since every other post in this thread has been referencing the same, I don't think I'm too far off.  But thanks for talking at me like I'm an idiot, another one for the block list!  :p

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 07:08:41 PM »
OK, I manage to get OS3.9 installed but having issues setting up my graphic card still.
I have a Picasso II card and just installed Picasso96 but don't know where or how to set this up.? I also saw a message about this software version being "Picasso IV". I assume I can use Picasso96  for my card?
A2000: OS3.1.4|Picasso II|Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 Sunrize cards|HydraNexus|Cocolino|Gotex Floppy Emulator |Mac OSX (main DAW) | Windows

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 07:37:49 PM »
thanks Mike-> fixed my signature :) appreciate all the support from everyone on this PicassoII issue

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 08:59:48 PM »
The latest version of P96 can be downloaded from here:

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/Picasso96.htm

I saw your message asking for a copy on ADF, unfortunately I don't have any easy way of making an ADF.  If I download it, write the file to a floppy disk, then create an image of that disk, I imagine would work.  Just haven't had a chance to try it yet.  Perhaps someone else has a better method?

...as you can tell, I don't use ADF's very often, lol.  :biglaugh:

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 10:12:03 PM »
OK...I will see what I can do with the download. Thanks again Mike

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 02:00:37 AM »
OK, making progress...I managed to transfer the Picasso files via my PC to A2000 with my AmigaForever Explorer program via null modem cable  (still working on my Internet TCP/IP problem but that's another issue).

Now onto my Picasso Issues:
=================
I ran the Picasso96Mode program from Pref drawer and "tried" to save the settings. After the install, I tested a video mode that worked. I tried to save those settings but I keep getting a message that says "Please wait until all disc activity has ended" with the option to "Reboot now". I waited in fear that some bkg activities were running but had no choice to hard boot the system. However, my video settings are never saved. Do I need to wait until the system boots itself...is there something else I need to do?

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 06:10:29 AM »
I've got this video on YouTube of some P96 stuff.  It's a few years old now, but maybe helpful?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8lLfEuVI2Y

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 11:56:41 AM »
Thanks Mike, this was helpful but still no luck in "saving the Preferences". I also uploaded a video to explain what the issue is here:

https://youtu.be/Kgrxu-Z4tHI