Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Web Browser  (Read 4979 times)

Description:

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
Re: Web Browser
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 24, 2014, 06:48:46 PM »
Ha ha, I saw the article about that (or maybe just something similar) on OSNews.  Only thought I had about it was "great, isn't this like the Dash on Ubuntu where you would search for local things and it would send your searches to Ubuntu's servers to then send onto amazon?

Guess it'd work okay for just stupid sites you're browsing, but I wouldn't use any that you log into.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »
I actually really liked voyager. So much so i paid for a key file.  Was easily the best browser on classic but as others said buggy and crash prone.  I wonder where my keyfile is lol.  Didn't it have ppc libs for it , memory going
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 11:03:35 PM »
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 11:30:04 PM »
That is very nice..
Hope it gets ported to Linux (GTK) soon-ish.. ;-)

Can't wait to test it, but no OSX here..

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline chris

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2014, 11:57:19 AM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;760900
Netsurf really is the best 'modern' browser for the Amiga 68k.  I've noticed that it seems a lot slower than it is, because it waits to show anything before it's rendered.  The trick most browsers do to make them seem faster is to start showing things as they're loaded, but netsurf doesn't do that, it waits the 5-15 seconds (for me) to then show the page is loaded, but it loads the whole thing.

Could be a couple of reasons:
a) The Framebuffer frontend sucks
b) NetSurf doesn't have a dynamic layout engine (yet), so if you load a page with images that don't have their sizes specified in the HTML, you might find it waits to do layouting until it knows the sizes of everything.

On the OS4 frontend it definitely can display pages before all the images are loaded.  I wouldn't expect the Framebuffer frontend to be any different in this regard, so it's probably (b).
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline stevieu

• Show only replies by stevieu
    • http://myspace.com/stevieu83
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 01:27:58 PM »
A long time ago I always favoured Voyager. It felt robust and fast, although at the same time it was prone to bugs!

IBrowse has always been a fully featured browser, as has AWeb. It's always been good to have a choice.

As mentioned above, Netsurf is really worth trying out too if you want to view more modern websites.

See what you like :D

Offline utri007

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »
It is sad that there is no prober version of netsurf for 68k AMigans :( Chris has made a quite lot work to keep 68k version possible.

Framebuffer is meant to be used for debuggin and no gui systems. Another point is SDL used with current 68k version of Netsurf.

What Netsurf team thinks about it is quite obivous, they don't accept it to here : http://www.netsurf-browser.org/downloads/

About speed : > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUrkzRAc5zs

It does display imges when loading and it is fast with Atari Falcon

Another possible semi modern web browser would be highwire
http://highwire.atari-users.net/index.php?section=snap&entry=1
http://sourceforge.net/projects/highwire/
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD