Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who would like to see MorphOS on SAM?  (Read 4331 times)

Description:

Offline itix

• Show all replies
Re: Who would like to see MorphOS on SAM?
« on: May 29, 2011, 11:22:22 AM »
Quote from: drHirudo;641065
Whatever price you paid (you got screwed btw), similar speced PC machine is much cheaper. The question is why MorphOS is not available for the cheaper hardware if their goal is to have their OS on cheaper, off the shelf, easily available hardware?

Is this your best argument you can use to defend SAM?

P.S. It's hard to find Macs here and the one's I found are terribly expensive/outdated.

Can you actually by SAM in your country from local flea market or walmart? If you need hardware to run MorphOS you are likely to find more PPC Mac options than there are SAMs in your country.

Edit: I checked and it is impossible buy new SAM here in Finland. It is available via special order but then you could just order it overseas from... well... Amikit in England?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:33:34 AM by itix »
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »
Quote from: drHirudo;641083
Are you suggesting me that I shall buy my hardware from flea markets or Walmart?

I dont know Bulgaria very well so tell me what stores you visit in your country when you buy new or old SAM460?

What's next? From your own experience suggesting me to look in the dumpsters for MorphOS ready hardware?

Why not? I know many who find old Amigas from dumpsters and recycling centers, refurbish them and sell to collectors.

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 03:12:40 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;641107
You can´t buy macs from the flea market or at walmart in germany. (At least not the flea markets I´ve been to. An iMac G4 (which won´t run MorphOS but is comparable to a SAM460) will be sold at about 350EUR on eBay (if you are lucky), but you will have to wait longer to find it there than to just order a SAM from Vesalia.

Why compare to an iMac? Get Mac mini or PowerMac. After all maybe you have to pay 100EUR, 200EUR, 300EUR, maybe even 400EUR but it will be much less than SAM. And even better if you dont like it you can put it sale again. Try that with SAM or any other rather exotic hardware.

Real problem with SAM (any model) is that only few hundreds or (at best) thousands will be made until it is out of production. Burden of supporting each variation with limited product runs is too great. There is reason why every Mac model is not and wont be supported.

Macs are getting more popular, so it is much easier to get an Intel machine than one of the classic models.

I dont follow your logic.

No Mac (any condition) that was built after 2000 will retail below 100EUR here.

So Macs are bad because they are so expensive. Better buy SAM instead because it costs even more? Makes sense.

(Btw eMacs should be much much cheaper but personally I consider CRT is unacceptable.)