Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who would like to see MorphOS on SAM?  (Read 4324 times)

Description:

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
Re: Who would like to see MorphOS on SAM?
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 29, 2011, 02:37:47 PM »
Hi,

Who would like to see MorphOS on Sam?

Sam who?

Do you mean samari?

Depends on which Sam and if he can carry the weight.

How much does MorphOS weight?

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 02:39:48 PM »
Quote from: drHirudo;641083
Are you suggesting me that I shall buy my hardware from flea markets or Walmart?

What's next? From your own experience suggesting me to look in the dumpsters for MorphOS ready hardware?

Hi,

With most Amiga's we are already looking at flea markets and in dumpsters, heck even Walmart wouldn't carry Amiga today!!!

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2011, 02:40:55 PM »
Quote from: drHirudo;641065
Whatever price you paid (you got screwed btw), similar speced PC machine is much cheaper. The question is why MorphOS is not available for the cheaper hardware if their goal is to have their OS on cheaper, off the shelf, easily available hardware?

P.S. It's hard to find Macs here and the one's I found are terribly expensive/outdated.

Wherever you are Mac must be over priced. In my area Powerbooks sell for about two thirds of the price of an Intel Atom Netbook (which to me seems to be a reasonable value).
I got my G4 Powermac for next to nothing and the only expensive component I've got in it is the CPU accelerator card.
Mac Mini's are generally about $200 and G5 Powermacs run between $200 and $400.

As we have a base of software designed to run on PPC processors and Mac prices ARE generally pretty cheap I wholly support the MorphOS development team's decision about what hardware to support.

As always, if you want cheap X86 hardware, use AROS.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2011, 03:12:40 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;641107
You can´t buy macs from the flea market or at walmart in germany. (At least not the flea markets I´ve been to. An iMac G4 (which won´t run MorphOS but is comparable to a SAM460) will be sold at about 350EUR on eBay (if you are lucky), but you will have to wait longer to find it there than to just order a SAM from Vesalia.

Why compare to an iMac? Get Mac mini or PowerMac. After all maybe you have to pay 100EUR, 200EUR, 300EUR, maybe even 400EUR but it will be much less than SAM. And even better if you dont like it you can put it sale again. Try that with SAM or any other rather exotic hardware.

Real problem with SAM (any model) is that only few hundreds or (at best) thousands will be made until it is out of production. Burden of supporting each variation with limited product runs is too great. There is reason why every Mac model is not and wont be supported.

Macs are getting more popular, so it is much easier to get an Intel machine than one of the classic models.

I dont follow your logic.

No Mac (any condition) that was built after 2000 will retail below 100EUR here.

So Macs are bad because they are so expensive. Better buy SAM instead because it costs even more? Makes sense.

(Btw eMacs should be much much cheaper but personally I consider CRT is unacceptable.)
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Iggy

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2011, 03:16:09 PM »
Pointed out to me by Andreas Wolf on MorphZone:

"EUR 499.50 for the industrial version".

The SAM460 "lite" version is available in single quantities without AOS4.1.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2011, 03:57:49 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;641107
You can´t buy macs from the flea market or at walmart in germany. (At least not the flea markets I´ve been to. An iMac G4 (which won´t run MorphOS but is comparable to a SAM460) will be sold at about 350EUR on eBay (if you are lucky), .

Huh ? Bought my iMac G5 (the absolute topmodel in PPC iMacs) for 250Euro via EBay's locad-add service and G4s are often offered for under 200 (not there would be a point in buying G4 iMacs).

EBay auctions might fetch higher prices, but surely not that much higher .... atleast not regulary and when done honestly.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2011, 03:59:45 PM »
@Iggy

Thats without VAT (and still to expensive for a board that could barely compete with a 2004 PegasosII).
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2011, 04:05:11 PM »
@Tripitaka

While I personally would like to see MorphOS available for SAM, I can see the point the others are making.  The SAM460 is brand new, there are probably less than 100 sold so far.  There are many more SAM440 of various models, but this still represents a very small number of systems compared to the number of PPC MAC systems available.

The MorphOS team decided to increase their user base by supporting certain PPC MAC systems which are still available in large quantity in the used market.  I think it is a good plan.

---
redfox

Offline Iggy

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2011, 04:25:04 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;641139
@Iggy

Thats without VAT (and still to expensive for a board that could barely compete with a 2004 PegasosII).

Oh I completely agree with you Kronos. Until I gout my accelerator card I had about $75 tied up in my 933Mhz Powermac. With better AGP graphics, a USB 2.0 card (only $5), and a Soundblaster Live (Ebay also $5).
A completely better deal and better performing.

Like I stated earlier, I support the direction you developers have chosen.
I can't wait to see Powerbook support and G5 support will be low cost (with performance on par with the X1000).
Heck, I've already tested an R400 graphics card (re-flashed) in a G4 and a G5 to make sure we'd have that option on both machines (and be able to move the cards from one to the other).
I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

The main problem I have with the SAMs is their use of relatively low performing Applied Micro processors.
Even the relatively dated G4 dances rings around them at similar speeds.