Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who would like to see MorphOS on SAM?  (Read 4323 times)

Description:

Offline TripitakaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
Who would like to see MorphOS on SAM?
« on: May 29, 2011, 12:05:06 AM »
I've been wondering lately why MorphOS hasn't been ported to the SAM boards. Is this ever going to happen? I think it would be a great thing to see and if the Morph team are confident in the OS they have made perhaps this would be a good way of getting another bit of user base. I'm interested in any comments and opinions anyone else may have on this so have your 5 cents folks and tell us what you think.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Who would like to see MorphOS on SAM?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 12:19:59 AM »
Too small and too costly (on the users end, hence the reason SAM's aren't more widespread) of a market, I suspect.

As a SAM owner, something I'd love to see, though.

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 01:23:02 AM »
There are too few SAMs sold to make it worthwhile porting.  Why divert limited developer time from the Powerbook version (of which there are millions, and readily available very cheaply in the second user market) to SAM which is expensive and has sold only a few hundreds, 90% of whom are OS4.x users who wouldn't ever use MorphOS even if it came free in their cereal never mind pay 150 Euros.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 02:45:52 AM »
You might as well give up and lock this thread because ITS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. The morphos team devotes developer resources towards Powerbook and G5 not, underpowered custom high priced hw. (anymore lol)
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 03:19:24 AM »
I agree, it will never happen.  The only way it might happen, is if ACube un-bundles AmigaOS4.x from the SAM boards and also pays the MorphOS2.x development team a porting fee to complete a version of MorphOS2.x for any of the SAM boards.

I guess you could say that the SAM boards are already available without AmigaOS4.x through their "Industrial Purchase" program, but I don't know what the minimum number of boards is for such purchases, so it doesn't really apply to Amiga/Morph users that only buy one board at a time.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 03:30:15 AM »
I read something similar about the x1000. Trevor Dick and his people sent Morphos a motherboard to try and get them to port over but they didn't want to because the cost would be too high just so a few users could try it out and see if they like it or not. This is significant as the x1000 is significantly more expensive than the Sam is...  :)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 03:33:42 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;640979
I agree, it will never happen.  The only way it might happen, is if ACube un-bundles AmigaOS4.x from the SAM boards and also pays the MorphOS2.x development team a porting fee to complete a version of MorphOS2.x for any of the SAM boards.

I guess you could say that the SAM boards are already available without AmigaOS4.x through their "Industrial Purchase" program, but I don't know what the minimum number of boards is for such purchases, so it doesn't really apply to Amiga/Morph users that only buy one board at a time.

hmmmmm...  i wonder how much it would cost to port Morphos over to the Sams or the x1000. Any guesses?

Maybe $200000?

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 03:37:40 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;640979

Dave's got the key right here. SAMs are bundled with OS4. The MorphOS development team isn't likely to do a port to a board that guarantee the sale of a copy of Hyperion's OS.
And no one has offered to pay for the port. Not going to happen.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 03:38:56 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;640980
I read something similar about the x1000. Trevor Dick and his people sent Morphos a motherboard to try and get them to port over but they didn't want to because the cost would be too high just so a few users could try it out and see if they like it or not. This is significant as the x1000 is significantly more expensive than the Sam is...  :)

I asked Piru about that. He says they never received a board.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 03:40:28 AM »
People buy SAM boards or systems because they want to run AmigaOS4.1 and are not interested in MorphOS2.7, or are more interested in AmigaOS4.1 than they are in MorphOS2.7.  If they were interested in running MorphOS2.7, they could buy a much cheaper system to run it on that is 2 to 5 times faster than the SAM boards.

Just makes no sense for the MorphOS Dev. Team to support the SAM boards, unless someone wants to run MorphOS2.x on a SAM so badly that they are willing to pay for the port.  I have no idea what the MorphOS Dev. Team would charge.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 03:40:41 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;640985
I asked Piru about that. He says they never received a board.

I'm not surprised. Has anyone received a board yet? Have they made any yet? What about the beta testers?

Offline Iggy

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 03:55:14 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;640987
I'm not surprised. Has anyone received a board yet? Have they made any yet? What about the beta testers?

I think they recently claimed the first five had been made.

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 06:38:19 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;640974
You might as well give up and lock this thread because ITS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. The morphos team devotes developer resources towards Powerbook and G5 not, underpowered custom high priced hw. (anymore lol)

In what sense the Powerbook and G5 macs are not underpowered custom high priced hw?

So if you buy Sam, you pay for AmigaOS 4.... What's so bad about it? When you buy Powerbook and G5 macs you are paying for MacOS X, or not? Can you buy a Mac without Apple's OS price attached to it?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 06:39:16 AM by drHirudo »

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 07:26:07 AM »
Quote from: drHirudo;641026
In what sense the Powerbook and G5 macs are not underpowered custom high priced hw?

They once were highpriced but I've got:
1.67GHz 15" PowerBook
2x2.3GHz PowerMac-G5
2.1GHz iMac-G5 (20")

All in good condition, all 3 combined still cheaper than 1 SAM-460 board (not to speak about a full system). And offcourse any of these will blow the SAM out of the water performance wise so the "underpowered" part doesn't really cut.

So if you buy Sam, you pay for AmigaOS 4.... What's so bad about it? When you buy Powerbook and G5 macs you are paying for MacOS X, or not? Can you buy a Mac without Apple's OS price attached to it?

Technicly none of the 3 Macs came with install media, and even if they would have it would have been Tiger (maybe even Panther on the Dual-G5) so that not really any value...

But thats not the point, those Macs have an attractive bang/buck ratio just as they are and the SAM's would be a little less unattractive if one could substract 100Euro (give or take) for OS4.

Not that it would help selling 700Euro motherboard when better performing full systems are available starting at 100Euro.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline jacadcaps

• Show only replies by jacadcaps
    • http://dreamolers.meanmachine.ch
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 08:04:55 AM »
G4/G5 Macs underpowered? The top models easily run circles around all Sam models... and I'd say "custom" isn't an appopriate words after you've sold millions of each model. This is also one of the primary reasons why we won't look at Samanthas or X1000 - these boards will never beat the availability of the 2nd hand Macs.