Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SFS problem  (Read 2913 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: SFS problem
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 09, 2010, 06:31:04 PM »
@mechy: best partial solution is a file system that doesnt get corrupted to soon, and that isnt sfs in my book. i have to evaluate pfs, but the original ffs was trusty too in its time, validation aside.

as for sfs since there are so many variants, original, strohmayers 68k and os4, mos etc its quite difficult to determine which fails and which not. misunderstandings are certain.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2010, 07:00:33 PM »
Quote from: mechy;597919
Well there is soft raid for amiga :D even hardware raids fail sometimes.

We are talking about software failure, not hardware failure. If the file system corrupts, both copies of the raid will contain the corrupted data. A raid only helps against hardware outages.

Offline mechy

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 07:15:36 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;597930
@mechy: best partial solution is a file system that doesnt get corrupted to soon, and that isnt sfs in my book. i have to evaluate pfs, but the original ffs was trusty too in its time, validation aside.

as for sfs since there are so many variants, original, strohmayers 68k and os4, mos etc its quite difficult to determine which fails and which not. misunderstandings are certain.

well,all i can say is i have been using it many years,and i've never had a fail or had to recover.
i am running strohmayers 2.79 on a A4000,csppc,2-32GB cf's on the uwscsi with adapters,mediator etc. I use this system daily and it runs 24/7,i don't just play games,and this poor machine gets to be the test bed for all my zorro cards  and hard drives usually.
Its also on 2 of my 4000t's(4091 scsi),2-A3000t's,3-1200's(one 060,one 030,one stock) and the viper520cd in the A500.None have given me any troubles. It could very well be that some are trying to use a old buggy versions. There were a few buggy ones in there i guess.My A500 is using 1.84 on the viper520cd fine.From what i can tell,about 80% of the time its a case of people haven't set it up right,or read the docs,or bad cables,cheap cf cards that don't impliment ide right(there's tons of knockoffs out there).i have helped alot of people install it over the years and its worked every time.its almost always been a config error in hd tools or a issue with td64/nsd..a few have been cable troubles and bad ram(this effects everything!). who knows?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 09:57:43 PM »
@mechy: this is what your personal experience is, while mine is different. they are both of equal value. whereever i discussed the matter with people that claimed sfs to be perfect, they mostly turned out to be mos users, as if it was selfexplanatory. thats why i ask.

now, a test case proves something till it fails. in your case it havnt yet, in my - multiple times. take into account it is not enough to use your system 24/7, and stick different expansions into it to prove this point. my rack remains pretty unchanged all the time. writing and reading the drives a lot may trigger the bug more likely. note that i dont want to opress anybody not to use sfs, just to warn to use a filesystem that seems more secure atm.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:00:57 PM by wawrzon »

Offline mechy

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2010, 11:00:25 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;597941
@mechy: this is what your personal experience is, while mine is different. they are both of equal value. whereever i discussed the matter with people that claimed sfs to be perfect, they mostly turned out to be mos users, as if it was selfexplanatory. thats why i ask.

now, a test case proves something till it fails. in your case it havnt yet, in my - multiple times. take into account it is not enough to use your system 24/7, and stick different expansions into it to prove this point. my rack remains pretty unchanged all the time. writing and reading the drives a lot may trigger the bug more likely. note that i dont want to opress anybody not to use sfs, just to warn to use a filesystem that seems more secure atm.

well i would think setting it up on 40+ assorted amigas over a 15+ year time frame is a pretty good test.No one said sfs was perfect.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2010, 11:21:47 PM »

well i would think setting it up on 40+ assorted amigas over a 15+ year time frame is a pretty good test

same as me at least, but in fact you must refer to other filesystems. strohmayers sfs is not that old. so it broke on me sooner. with the original ive had no intercourse.

Offline mechy

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2010, 12:57:40 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;597956
same as me at least, but in fact you must refer to other filesystems. strohmayers sfs is not that old. so it broke on me sooner. with the original ive had no intercourse.

yea i started with earlier versions and moved up over the years.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010, 03:10:05 AM »
a stupid question: you have not forgotten to update you rdbs accordingly, have you? (now that i recall what i hate about a filesystem in rdb most)