Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FreeDO 3DO emulator finally goes Open Source!  (Read 5681 times)

Description:

Offline djrikki

• Show only replies by djrikki
Re: FreeDO 3DO emulator finally goes Open Source!
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 02:19:18 PM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;591619
They also had one called Slayer, which was a port of Dungeon Hack for DOS.  I can't imagine the 3DO version not being better, but I haven't seen much in the way of videos showing it.

Dungeon Hack would be an awesome port to AmigaOS.  It's essentially Dungeon Master meets NetHack, using AD&D 2nd edition rules.

slaapliedje

Edit: Found a video of it for the 3do.  It's almost totally different, full 360 degrees, it looks more like Daggerfall than Dungeon Master.  The Dungeon Hack for DOS is just like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, etc.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEQFSvG0Zq4

LOL that video is so funny, considering he is a dwarf his head is nearly touching the ceiling throughout the clip :roflmao::roflmao:

Offline nicholas

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
Quote from: Crom00;591651
Really how do we get one?

http://acp.atari.org

One of these babies plus AROS 68k would be very sexy!
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 02:59:01 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;591623
Hey, at least I didn't suggest a Phillips CDi Emulator...

Though it did have those three crappy Zelda games... :)
Heh, those remain the reason to have a CDi :D
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline nicholas

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 03:05:11 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;591239
From what I understand, this machine was designed by a bunch of the same guys who designed the Amiga, if this is the case, I can not see a reason why such an emulator shouldn't be ported to AmigaOS, MorphOS, and AROS...

I guess it's also GCC which is Amiga friendly right?

http://code.google.com/p/freedo/

I've just dug out my FZ-1, time for a dose of Road Rash methinks! :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 06:34:05 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;591248
All right, a 3D0 emulator! I can't tell you how long I've been waiting to play...to play...

...wait, it'll come to me...

...oh, right, this is the 3D0 we're talking about, a.k.a. The System Whose Software Library Consists Solely Of Ports From Better Systems And "Interactive Movies." Never mind :/

I dont know what 3do youre talking about, but that description doesnt fit the 3do I know.
Need for Speed and Road Rash began life on this 3do (and it looks somewhat nicer than psx/saturn versions), Space Hulk on the 3do was its own exclusive version (that got butchered and ported elsewhere later on), best version of Street Fighter for a home machine up until that point, Fifa international was overhauled and turned 3d for 3do (well before saturn/psx), Return Fire rocked, Primal Rage mirrored SSF2T, NBA Jam was better on 3do than any system before it, Another World was overhauled (only version to have textured mapped gfx still), Super Wing Commander was the penultimate Wing Commander game up until that point as well as many more.

While it was only short lived there was some quality titles for 3do, and had it survived it couldve gone on to compete with the saturn and psx once they were released. As much as I love the amiga I have to admit that it was in a different league to the cd32 and outshined the Saturn and PSX in some ways too.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 06:52:20 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;591625
I would be interested in a NeoGeo emulator (one probably exists, I am just lazy.)  Some damn good games on that gear.

there's one at os4depot.net if you've got OS4.1...haven't tried it myself yet but generally HunoPPC ports are great quality
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 07:38:45 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;591661
http://acp.atari.org

One of these babies plus AROS 68k would be very sexy!

The Coldfire project, drool!

Atari users are lucky! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 08:00:05 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;591254
Also there were a few titles that were on other systems, but paled in comparison to the 3DO version, I.E. Road Rash and Po'ED.
I still think Need for Speed on my 3DO is one of my favorite racing games...

Great system..

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 05:05:26 AM »
This emulator is pretty heavy though, I doubt OS4.x hardware is up to the task. Higher end Macs (ie. Morphos) might just manage (although it wouldnt be great for a lot of stuff). Only AROS really has the hardware grunt for FreeDO (Win port requires roughly a 2ghz athlon xp if I recall correctly, with an athlon64 the minimum target for a good experience from most games, both of which are significantly more powerful than any available desktop ppc systems)).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 06:03:06 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;591711
The Coldfire project, drool!

Atari users are lucky! :)

No kidding.

They got their free OS clone way before we did, which opened a possibilities.

Atari even used it before they stopped making computers.

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 06:29:28 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;591851
This emulator is pretty heavy though, I doubt OS4.x hardware is up to the task. Higher end Macs (ie. Morphos) might just manage (although it wouldnt be great for a lot of stuff). Only AROS really has the hardware grunt for FreeDO (Win port requires roughly a 2ghz athlon xp if I recall correctly, with an athlon64 the minimum target for a good experience from most games, both of which are significantly more powerful than any available desktop ppc systems)).

I wonder how the heck they ever imagined they'd get this running on the original XBOX? That was their original plan back in the day.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 10:10:15 AM »
Quote from: Xanxi;591243
68k please :) :) :)

The 3D0 had a 12MHz ARM CPU, you'd need a 25MHz 68030 to get the same native performance, so you would need a rather hefty machine indeed to get a cycle accurate emulated CPU experience. And that's before the chipset. I suspect this will be for PowerPC Amigas only.

Offline DaNi

• Show only replies by DaNi
    • http://morphos.blog.com.es/
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 10:40:52 AM »
This source uses a cpu intensive usage, is slowly on high clock g4 cpu
EFIKA 5K2 PowerPC G2 400Mhz, MorphOS 2.7, 128MB 266MHz DDR RAM, FSB 133MHz, 500GB HDD, Radeon 9200 PRO 128MB, USB HUB x8.

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 11:06:03 AM »
It's not impossible Im confusing this for Yabause actually (sega saturn emulator), but Im pretty sure FreeDO had similar requirements. I'll have to have a look when I get some time, would like to play Another World again anyway after this thread :-)

Offline DaNi

• Show only replies by DaNi
    • http://morphos.blog.com.es/
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 11:35:32 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;591883
It's not impossible Im confusing this for Yabause actually (sega saturn emulator), but Im pretty sure FreeDO had similar requirements. I'll have to have a look when I get some time, would like to play Another World again anyway after this thread :-)

You can play Another World and Flashack, this engines was ported to os4 and morphos.

Well you only see this on windows version:

Factorization made by 3DO community, represented by commands [tPORt] - SUPER!

Recommended requirements: 2xCPU - 2GHz

Minimum requirements: CPU - 2 GHz

Audio - OpenAL, setting emulation speed through the speed of sound

Video - OpenGL, supported by extrapolation, full-screen mode, the increase in domestic permit consoles twice

CD-ROM - Driver not required

Office - any, supports plug-ins.

Supported images: ISO, CDI, NRG, BIN, IMG ...

Extras: supports screenshots and save anywhere.
EFIKA 5K2 PowerPC G2 400Mhz, MorphOS 2.7, 128MB 266MHz DDR RAM, FSB 133MHz, 500GB HDD, Radeon 9200 PRO 128MB, USB HUB x8.

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #29 from previous page: November 15, 2010, 01:46:58 PM »
Quote from: DaNi;591900
You can play Another World and Flashack, this engines was ported to os4 and morphos.

Sure, Im aware of RAW and Reminiscence (I ported both to AROS), but the 3do version of Another World is enhanced over the other versions.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/3do/out-of-this-world/screenshots/gameShotId,161648/