Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's the coolest thing I can do with a BPPC card?  (Read 3148 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
Re: What's the coolest thing I can do with a BPPC card?
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 17, 2010, 04:52:57 AM »
I was massively disappointed with my bppc card when it worked. I'd have prefered an '060 card as at least it wouldve benefitted everyday use. Being restricted to a handful of ppc software it's a very expensive proposition, and somewhat useless for something like os4.x or MOS (way too slow for "modern computing use... sure the OSes run ok, but modern software still needs more resources than this sort of retro gear can provide, stick with old 68k type software and youre fine, but in that case why use the ppc at all?). There was a handful of software that ppc was good for (heretic2/wipoeout2097/some emulators (c64/snes/megadrive/mame/mess/etc)/mp3 player/mp3 decoding/videos), but mostly the '040 got in the way. In short, the experience wasnt what I was hoping (although '060+ppc mightve been a better experience,.... bppc '040 left you wanting(Even with RTG (I had a grex a1200 and voodoo3)).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:17:49 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline dangermouse

• Show only replies by dangermouse
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 05:45:58 AM »
Personally I'd either get an RTG card and run OS 4.0 on your PPC or forget you've even got a PPC (unless you're into games..Wipeout 2097 etc).

I run OS 4.0 on a Cyberstorm 233MHz at 1920x1080 via a CVPPC and it's plenty fast for me. Icons are drawn fast...the only major slowdown is when dragging a busy window (i.e. OWB) but, other than that, I'm more than happy with the performance. That's with 128MB RAM which I consider a must have as I frequently get down to < 60MB free...the OS/software either leak like a bugger or it's got some sort of lazy garbage collection.

Did have a couple of AmigaOnes but got bored to death with OS 4.1 and, for me at least, it never felt like an Amiga...just another computer to get frustrated at over the weekend that had an OS that reminded me of the 68k Amigas. At least with a PPC classic you can use OS 4.x and still be on a real Amiga which, for me at least, is important.

To be honest, unless I'm booting 4.0 I forget I've even got a PPC unless I run SysSpeed or WhichAmiga which jolts my memory for me. They're fun to have and fun to own but, for all intents and purposes, I'm certain they only sell for the money they do because they're the bees knees for classic Amigas. Whether you actually use that functionality is entirely a different story and, if people took a real hard look at them and what they offer, the price would be nowhere near as high imo.

But that's just my opinion. I was hoping this thread would turn up some little gems and show my ignorance on the matter but, thus far, nothing seems to have appeared to change my mind.

As an aside it would be an interesting poll to see how many people with PPC accelerators use the PPC on a regular basis. I suspect more than a few would have used it once to maybe verify it was working or 'have a play' but forgot about it since and stuck with 68k.
A4000D CyberstormPPC 66/363 128MB Mediator 4000Di Radeon 9250 Deneb IndivisionAGA 16GB CF HDD
A4000D CyberstormPPC 50/233 128MB CybervisionPPC 16GB CF HDD
A1200 BPPC 50/240 128MB IndivisionAGA
A600 ACA030/25 A604 IndivisionECS 4GB CF HDD
A600
CD32/SX32Pro 030/50/128MB IndivisionAGA 16GB CF HDD
A500
A500+

Offline ferguson

• Show only replies by ferguson
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2010, 07:27:21 AM »
yeah, so many coolest posts.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2010, 11:31:39 AM »
Quote from: Franko;585177
We don't get Match of the Day here in Scotland...

Well you could if you got Sky .  Sky has all the versions of BBC1 and BBC2 and ITV
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2010, 11:32:54 AM »
Oh and is MOTD on BBC iplayer ?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2010, 12:54:56 PM »
Quote from: dangermouse;585225
To be honest, unless I'm booting 4.0 I forget I've even got a PPC unless I run SysSpeed or WhichAmiga which jolts my memory for me. They're fun to have and fun to own but, for all intents and purposes, I'm certain they only sell for the money they do because they're the bees knees for classic Amigas. Whether you actually use that functionality is entirely a different story and, if people took a real hard look at them and what they offer, the price would be nowhere near as high imo.

Just go back to 68K only datatypes, media players etc. You'll soon remember. Alternatively, if you already are using those, try their PPC counterparts.
int p; // A

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2010, 02:27:36 PM »
What's wrong with keeping the card?. If i had a bppc i wouldn't let it go.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline tone007Topic starter

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2010, 02:32:08 PM »
I've decided to not be a computer collector, so if I can't find a use for it I'd rather not have it.

This PPC datatypes thing for OS3.9 sounds interesting, especially if it could make web browsing quicker...
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever