Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Usefull tools that we don't have  (Read 2776 times)

Description:

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
Re: Usefull tools that we don't have
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 12, 2009, 01:54:04 PM »
Quote from: illy5603;525631
You can do that with an RSS reader too. I understand what twitter is and how it can be used, but I still think it is lame. I am just not interested in self important crap, blogs included. Don't really care for the news either.

Back on topic a bit, I still think trying to use a classic Amiga as a "modern" computer is all a bit silly. I feel that way about linux too, too much trouble to get simple stuff done on it. I look at my A1200 as my "classic car". It was powerful for it's time, it is beautiful and still fun to hotrod but the modern stuff will still blow it away. Just like a modern 6 cylinder rental Chevy Camaro will run the 1/4 mile faster than a 1969 big block Camaro. Progress man... Drive the new Camaro every day, and take the big block out on weekends.

You could do some parts of the features of Twitter with an RSS reader but it would be a lot more work and no where near as flexible, and just a one way conversation.

I agree that trying to use an A1200 as a "modern computer" is too much like hard work for me.  But I use an AmigaOne with OS 4.1 which can do most of the things I do day to day (Twitter excluded, still need to jump on the PC or Mac for that), I do also use Windows 7 and Snow Leopard on machines next to my AmigaOne, but the A1 makes a good secondary machine.

Offline danwood

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 01:58:12 PM »
Quote from: persia;525619
What is the point of newspapers in 2009?  I've go CNN on my iPhone, several international news feeds on tv, internet radio, by the time a news even appears in a newspaper I've had heated discussions about it at work, written six blog entries about it, probably tweeted, etc.  By the time the newspaper arrives it's old news.

Indeed, I found out about Michael Jackson's death on Twitter a good 30-40 mins before any TV news had picked up on it.

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
@danwood

That's probably the fault of the news channels you watch.

I was watching BBC News channel and they stated MJ was rushed to hospital after falling ill.  This was within an hour or so of it happening.  I know because I later checked the "official" reports as to when the medics were called.

So unless Jacko's doc twittered that he collapsed I doubt very much how you coul learn a full 30-40 mins before everyone else?

Note I am only talking about him being rushed to hospital.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2009, 03:10:31 PM »
Probably because Twitter notifications showed up on his mobile phone?

Quote from: ajlwalker;525670
@danwood

That's probably the fault of the news channels you watch.

I was watching BBC News channel and they stated MJ was rushed to hospital after falling ill.  This was within an hour or so of it happening.  I know because I later checked the "official" reports as to when the medics were called.

So unless Jacko's doc twittered that he collapsed I doubt very much how you coul learn a full 30-40 mins before everyone else?

Note I am only talking about him being rushed to hospital.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2009, 03:20:23 PM »
Probably, but that is not what he is saying.

If he said I got it on my mobile phone 30-40 mins before I could on TV because I was out and about, then yes, I woul agree.  However, he inferred twitter was ahead of TV, I remain to be convincec.

Anyway, it was silly of me to say what I said as it is off topic.  I agree a twitter client would be good for AmigaOS along with a whole host of other missing apps.

Offline ikepgh

• Show only replies by ikepgh
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2009, 06:06:58 PM »
I'm pretty far along with a client I have been working on...I could use some help, so I started a project on sourceforge.   I haven't uploaded any files yet since I need to install subversion on my new machine, but you can see a screenshot at the link below.

http://www.ezcyberspace.com/programs/twitter.jpg

https://sourceforge.net/projects/amitwitter/

PM me if you are interested (gcc/MUI).

IKE
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 06:13:20 PM by ikepgh »

Offline danwood

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2009, 06:33:32 PM »
Quote from: ikepgh;525693
I'm pretty far along with a client I have been working on...I could use some help, so I started a project on sourceforge.   I haven't uploaded any files yet since I need to install subversion on my new machine, but you can see a screenshot at the link below.

http://www.ezcyberspace.com/programs/twitter.jpg

https://sourceforge.net/projects/amitwitter/

PM me if you are interested (gcc/MUI).

IKE

Nice work buddy!  Looking promising so far, can it also show other people's tweets or just send from you at the moment?  To make a client useful it needs to show tweets from your subscribers really, this is a great start though, the first Amiga twitter app, I might be able to spend time on my Amiga without the Macbook near me with Tweetdeck open soon :D

If you need a beta-tester I'd love to try it out.

Offline ikepgh

• Show only replies by ikepgh
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2009, 01:28:47 PM »
It currently sends tweets and it pulls your subscribers down with a refresh (set at 60 seconds).  It displays these to stdout currently, cause I haven't come up with a solution for displaying these in a GUI.  I'm currently looking at a few .mcc's...but wish we had an .xml .mcc.

IKE