Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Usefull tools that we don't have  (Read 2775 times)

Description:

Offline aggro_mix

• Show only replies by aggro_mix
Re: Usefull tools that we don't have
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 05:55:23 PM »
I started on a twitter client as well, this far I only have the part that sends new tweets ready and working. Not too exciting....

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 08:23:41 PM »
Quote from: quarkx;525428
I think he said USEFUL tools not "tools for the useless"

Good one Glen!

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 09:11:07 PM »
I wish there were some app or way to do good screencast recordings. For more and better tutorials via You Tube (oh no, did I say U.T.)

Ohhh, EDIT:

http://amigaweb.net/index.php?function=view_news&id=1172

Will have to try...

EDIT - Dang , specs are way too high for 68k:

http://uk.aminet.net/util/wb/ScreenRecorder.readme

There must be some clever way to do this efficiently.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:22:48 PM by TheGoose »
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 11:12:19 PM »
Ooooh, I want a Pandora client.  And to make it REALLY cool have it run w/o the need for a sound card ;)
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 11:19:23 PM »
Some way to order MP3s and transfer them easily to/from an iPhone...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline illy5603

• Show only replies by illy5603
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 11:22:02 PM »
I don't use any modern tools on my A1200 with WB 3.1, as a matter of fact I rarely even web browse with it. To me the classic Amiga's are retro systems. I do what I did in 1992 on them. Call BBS's, run a BBS, play some games, that's about it. I use modern computers for modern things.

As for twitter, I REALLY want to know when everyone on the planet is "sitting on their porch" or "grabbing lunch" please...

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 12:55:52 AM »
Took the words right out of my mouth, Quark. *snort*
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline PanterHZ

• Show only replies by PanterHZ
    • http://www.rhz1.com
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 01:21:54 AM »
Quote from: utri007;525420

2. Super bootdisk that would be some kind of mini wb and nice set of tools and of course dc-rom drivers

Funny thing you should mention that because  I'm currently working on a such type of disk now :)

It is mainly meant for my own personal use, but I might be willing to make it available for others if there are interest for it. I can of course not spread the entire thing since it contains copyrighted files, but I could make some sort of install script which copies files from the users original workbench disks and then creates the actual boot disk.

The disk I have created contains a cut down version of Workbench 3.1 where the most obscure and not so often used commands in C: are left out. Furthermore, stuff like arexx, commodities, localisation and datatypes (with the exception of Text and AmigaGuide) are considered luxury and are left out as well. In the Prefs drawer, only ScreenMode is included.

But the disk does contain the following:
HDToolBox
FileMaster3 (file manager)
JanoEditor (text editor)
SysInfo
HDInstTools
Fat95
SFS (Smart File System)
CD ROM support
Compact Flash card support (by using CF to PCMCIA adapter)
LhA 1.38
IDEfix

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 02:35:23 AM »
Quote from: danwood;525436
I find Twitter extremely useful. It's replaced newspapers for me.

LOL.  That's some deep reading you must have been doing!  (I'm sure you must be joking.)

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 03:35:22 AM »
Quote from: orb85750;525613
LOL.  That's some deep reading you must have been doing!  (I'm sure you must be joking.)

Quote from: illy5603
As for twitter, I REALLY want to know when everyone on the planet is "sitting on their porch" or "grabbing lunch" please...

It seems a lot of people still don't really "get" twitter.  I don't follow people who talk about their lunch etc.  I follow news services such as CNN, New York Times, the BBC, various journalists and technologists whose work I enjoy (Leo Laporte, Robert Schoble, Chris Pirillo, Dvorak, Veronica Belmont etc.).  

Mainly I scan my feeds for a headline which will usually be something short and concise

"Breaking News: Microsoft Goes Bankrupt, read more here http://link"

I am not digesting my entire news in 140 characters, I scour it for interesting headlines from sources/journalists whose work I enjoy, then go on to read the full articles they link to.

I also use it similar to newspaper classifieds some weeks, for instance last week I would not have known that a hotel I stayed in was going for half price that night, I'd have probably booked a more expensive venue, but as one of my friends had posted that Radisson Hotel were doing rooms for £32 that night, I booked there and saved half my money.  I also found out about a job I applied for this week on Twitter as well.  The information comes from people I trust and have something in common with, so seems much more reliable.

I also treat it as a sort of public IM/IRC, conversations two and fro with followers can lead to some very interesting conversations.  Plus the topic search is brilliant, and trending, just go to twitter.com and search amiga or amigaos, you find a fair few amiga related videos and articles some weeks.

Reminds me of the early days of the web before it became overrun with bloatware. Surfing was an apt metaphor. Web pages were light weight and easy to scan, and following links was often fruitful.

Its a bit ignorant to put something down just because you don't understand it, or can't be bothered to give it the time to learn what a useful tool it could be.

As an interesting article I read on PC World's business site says:

"In my opinion, the most commonly heard complaints about Twitter stem from a misunderstanding of it. Chief among these complaints is the utterly bunk assertion that it's just a whole bunch of people heralding the trivial events of their daily lives into the void. (i.e., "I'm going to the bathroom now!" or "Eating a yummy ham sandwich!") Frankly, if that's how you're using Twitter, you're doing it wrong, and you should stop without subjecting your friends to a full week of that rubbish, let alone a full month."

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/164107/twitter_quitters_just_dont_get_it.html

But my main point is, a twitter client as least pushes the AmigaOS one step in the right direction of being a "modern OS" rather than another "omg the amiga hasn't even got a twitter app!?".

The article also highlights the much improved experience of using an app rather than the website

"3. Use a Client App
Twitter's Web site is terrible. Even if it weren't constantly over capacity, its interface is static and unhelpful. But a decent client app will put all of Twitter's coolest features at your fingertips, as well as helpful third-party features like URL-shortening and photo support. I've tried most of the leading clients for Windows, Mac, and Linux, and my personal favorite across all three platforms is TweetDeck. Used in conjunction with a good client app like TweetDeck, Twitter becomes an active massively multi-user conversation to rival any other social medium. The more people you follow, the more enlightening that conversation can be."
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:46:06 AM by danwood »

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 04:46:00 AM »
What is the point of newspapers in 2009?  I've go CNN on my iPhone, several international news feeds on tv, internet radio, by the time a news even appears in a newspaper I've had heated discussions about it at work, written six blog entries about it, probably tweeted, etc.  By the time the newspaper arrives it's old news.

Quote from: orb85750;525613
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline kolla

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 05:14:48 AM »
So it's kinda like what USENET was 15-20 years ago, only a heck lot more resource demanding and limited. Yay for progress.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline kolla

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 05:32:54 AM »
Quote from: persia;525619
What is the point of newspapers in 2009?  I've go CNN on my iPhone, several international news feeds on tv, internet radio, by the time a news even appears in a newspaper I've had heated discussions about it at work, written six blog entries about it, probably tweeted, etc.  By the time the newspaper arrives it's old news.

Well, newspaper articles are stored in libraries and archives etc. Your blog entries and tweets are likely to vanish within short time. Good riddance I'd say.

What's sad is that blogging morons are seriously competing out professional journalists, even in the press. I wonder where it will end, what will "the truth" be in 50 years?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline utri007Topic starter

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 08:07:29 AM »
That would be nice, I'm interested :D You should allso put latest fastfilesystem to that disk.

SysInfo is nice, but I can't harldy imagine that it would be usefull.

How do you plan to make cd-rom support?
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline illy5603

• Show only replies by illy5603
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 08:36:10 AM »
Quote from: danwood;525617
I am not digesting my entire news in 140 characters, I scour it for interesting headlines from sources/journalists whose work I enjoy, then go on to read the full articles they link to.

You can do that with an RSS reader too. I understand what twitter is and how it can be used, but I still think it is lame. I am just not interested in self important crap, blogs included. Don't really care for the news either.

Back on topic a bit, I still think trying to use a classic Amiga as a "modern" computer is all a bit silly. I feel that way about linux too, too much trouble to get simple stuff done on it. I look at my A1200 as my "classic car". It was powerful for it's time, it is beautiful and still fun to hotrod but the modern stuff will still blow it away. Just like a modern 6 cylinder rental Chevy Camaro will run the 1/4 mile faster than a 1969 big block Camaro. Progress man... Drive the new Camaro every day, and take the big block out on weekends.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:41:58 AM by illy5603 »

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 12, 2009, 01:54:04 PM »
Quote from: illy5603;525631
You can do that with an RSS reader too. I understand what twitter is and how it can be used, but I still think it is lame. I am just not interested in self important crap, blogs included. Don't really care for the news either.

Back on topic a bit, I still think trying to use a classic Amiga as a "modern" computer is all a bit silly. I feel that way about linux too, too much trouble to get simple stuff done on it. I look at my A1200 as my "classic car". It was powerful for it's time, it is beautiful and still fun to hotrod but the modern stuff will still blow it away. Just like a modern 6 cylinder rental Chevy Camaro will run the 1/4 mile faster than a 1969 big block Camaro. Progress man... Drive the new Camaro every day, and take the big block out on weekends.

You could do some parts of the features of Twitter with an RSS reader but it would be a lot more work and no where near as flexible, and just a one way conversation.

I agree that trying to use an A1200 as a "modern computer" is too much like hard work for me.  But I use an AmigaOne with OS 4.1 which can do most of the things I do day to day (Twitter excluded, still need to jump on the PC or Mac for that), I do also use Windows 7 and Snow Leopard on machines next to my AmigaOne, but the A1 makes a good secondary machine.