Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sorry to ask that again, but...  (Read 1973 times)

Description:

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
Re: Sorry to ask that again, but...
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 02, 2008, 03:04:41 PM »
takemehomegrandma,
And what was their explanation?

The documentation for the Mac motherboards is impossible to onbtain.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 03:07:22 PM »

jorkany wrote:
takemehomegrandma,
And what was their explanation?

OK.

However, the MorphOS team is obviously doing it, and they are not the first...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »

Because Apple cannot impose a license like that. No-one can.

Not in the general case, but Nintendo did successfully sue Tengen over unlicensed software. Apple, however, doesn't require licenses (iPhone/iPod Touch excluded, if you want to use iTunes for distribution), as we all know.

It's a damned, good thing I don't have to contact Intel or Freescale for permission every time I fire up a compiler. Like most of us though, I build my own systems. Perhaps Microsoft should be paying me for the right to run Windows on my hardware. Alas, system integrators pay Microsoft. It doesn't work the other way around.

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 04:06:03 PM »

And that's not stopped anyone else from reverse engineering the bits that needed it.

Offline Tron2k2

• Show only replies by Tron2k2
    • http://www.pbronline.us
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 09:11:56 PM »
The questions have been raised here and other places about the state of MOS development, as in, who owns it?  Are the developers getting paid?  It has also been said that wouldn't matter to a potential partner.

You bet your bottom dollar it does!  If I'm a company wanting to run MorphOS on my set top box (just an example!) and spend millions of dollars on product rollout, etc.-then I want to know FOR SURE that the company who makes it is stable, that they have the right to use/sell the IP they're selling me, that the devs won't bail from lack of payment or after the first product release finds all the bugs that the testers didn't.  A real, in house QA department is also good for warming the {bleep}les of potential vendor's hearts :-)

Never underestimate the ability of a potential partner to show up at your office (yes, an actual office somewhere that isn't someone's basement!) and see a legitimate 9 to 5 style effort being made at producing, maintaining and updating code.  Especially when said potential partner is going to bet his company's, and probably his own, future on the product you are selling him.

Maybe us hobbyist types are the guinea pigs, if you will, the test bed for MorphOS in genesi's eyes. (For us, it doesn't matter if it's coded in a basement as a hobby, we eat that stuff up!)  If it succeeds well and makes a buck or two in this small arena, we will be the ones helping them make sure it's mature enough to pitch to the bigger, outside world.  

Just my two cents.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 02:53:15 AM »

Trev wrote:

And that's not stopped anyone else from reverse engineering the bits that needed it.

We know that the Moana project by ACube was a port to Mac-Mini so the no documentation thing doesn't hold. Hyperion Entertainment decided that it didn't make business sense to do the port, so they're not going to do it. I'm a little surprised that they see no point in taking the Moana project and finishing it off, but it's their decision. If someone else wanted to do the port, and showed Hyperion a suitable business plan, I'd expect them to consider it.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 03:43:39 AM »
Absolutely correct, with a hardware link they make money on both the software and hardware.  If they were to port it to Mac Mini they wouldn't make any money off that hardware.  I don't understand why Hyperion are so reticent to just say this...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 05:56:14 AM »
@Tron2k2

The days of world domination are long over. The only way to keep such thing sustainable is to keep it a hobby. Paying the developers fully would burn millions per year, and these millions just aren't there.

Just my 0 eurocents.