Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sorry to ask that again, but...  (Read 1974 times)

Description:

Offline hbarcellosTopic starter

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
Re: Sorry to ask that again, but...
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 12:47:48 AM »
Didn't knew that. Actually some time ago, when I was playing with FreeBSD on my x86 box I found that only NVIDIA had 3d acceleration support. And I remember reading somewhere that Nvidia had better support to free operating systems. Now, you're telling me something different...
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline Hans_

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 12:50:19 AM »

hbarcellos wrote:

Wouldn't it be perfect to buy a MacMini and a fresh copy of OS4? I KNOW THIS IS A BAD, REALLY BAD QUESTION!

There is no official Mac Mini port so the only way to run Amiga OS 4.x on the Mac is to use the stolen Moana code that's floating around. This is, of course, illegal. Added to that, it only works on a few particular models/revisions of the Mac Mini, and, it is buggy (or so I'm told, I've never seen it).

If you want Amiga OS 4.x, just buy a SAM 440ep, and Amiga OS 4.1. That is available now, and officially supported.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 01:04:13 AM »
If you want Amiga OS 4.x, just buy a SAM 440ep, and Amiga OS 4.1. That is available now, and officially supported.

1) Just buy Sam440p
2) Just buy hardisk, power supply and other peripherals
3) Just find a case that fits
4) Put everything together
5) If you're not a case modder, just look to something that looks like a regular geek modded pc, maybe with UV LED fans all around.

With all respect to Sam440p, which I'm sure it is a great product, I don't want to buy it. I don't know exactly why I don't, but I don't.

}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 02:57:42 AM »
@hbarcellos
I remember reading somewhere that Nvidia had better support to free operating systems. Now, you're telling me something different...

Nvidia drivers are closed source and proprietary. AMD provides documentation for anyone who asks (at least for the slightly older chipsets).

So for anyone actually developing the drivers Nvidia is out of the question.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 03:02:03 AM »

hbarcellos wrote:
Didn't knew that. Actually some time ago, when I was playing with FreeBSD on my x86 box I found that only NVIDIA had 3d acceleration support. And I remember reading somewhere that Nvidia had better support to free operating systems. Now, you're telling me something different...

Not at all, NVidia wrote the drivers for FreeBSD/Linux themselves. Those drivers are not open-source.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline terminator4

• Show only replies by terminator4
    • http://none
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 03:12:13 AM »
How much money has MOS made from its sales?  Has it paid any of its developers?  How serious of a company are they?  Did they reach any agreement with Apple?  Those would be the questions of a business man, not just an technology professional.  

Offline Hans_

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 03:14:02 AM »

hbarcellos wrote:

1) Just buy Sam440p
2) Just buy hardisk, power supply and other peripherals
3) Just find a case that fits

Or, just buy a complete package, such as can be found here or here.

5) If you're not a case modder, just look to something that looks like a regular geek modded pc, maybe with UV LED fans all around.

SAM 440ep is a mini-ITX board, so any Mini-ITX case will work; they are available. These cases can be bought easily here in New Zealand, so it shouldn't be hard to get a hold of.

With all respect to Sam440p, which I'm sure it is a great product, I don't want to buy it. I don't know exactly why I don't, but I don't.

Well, it's your call. Complaining about there being no port for the Mac Mini won't get you an Amiga OS 4.1 machine. The SAM 440ep is what's available. Hopefully the SAM 440ep-flex will be available be Christmas too, but there's no guarantee. As an OS 4.1 user myself, I think that it's a great system (although I have an A1-XE G4, not a SAM).

Hans

Offline Piru

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 03:25:30 AM »
@terminator4
Did they reach any agreement with Apple?

Any business man asking that doesn't deserve to be in the tech business.

That's as absurd as a company selling linux would need to reach an agreement with say Dell or Lenovo.

For the last time, no-one needs any permission from Apple to write, install, or run any software on a Mac.

Also, I'd be interested to know why would any business man give a damn how much MorphOS has made from the sales, or if the MorphOS developers have been paid and how much. It would matter if the company was traded, but otherwise that's just load of bollocks.

And finally: Anyone with a clue can figure out that no-one can make a living with this. That wasn't the case 10 years ago, 5 years ago, and it certainly isn't the case now either. There are other motivations involved than money.

Offline terminator4

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 03:42:53 AM »
@Piru

As a user yes no one will care or knock at your house doors.  It may be laughable to you, but I'm thinking like a company not as a user.  If i'm selling an OS and targetting a manufacturer's hardware (surely you will say that it works on macmini), is there legal issues? (there must be, have you consulted a lawyer to confirm there isn't any???). What is Morphos legal status-does Genesi own it or is it like AROS?  Has Apple provided MorphOS development team with all the documentation?  With linux, even if you had grounds to sue, what company / who would you go after?  MorphOS - is it still supported by Genesi?  Does Genesi pay you or other developers or do you "develop for free" as with Linux?  
How about SAM440?  how do you know it's legal, and not a licensing issue? (last time i heard there was no information on this issue or has it changed??)
Those are some of my questions. :-)

Piru wrote:

That is just laughable excuse. You've bought the hardware, and as such you have right to run whatever software you want on it. What apple can do, however, is to try disable hacked versions of their own software (read: hosing unlocked iphones on firmware update for example). Clearly this does not apply to 3rd party OSes.

My Mac Mini is running Linux and MorphOS in addition to Mac OS X. I've yet to hear from Apple legal department.

Offline terminator4

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 04:06:04 AM »
@ Piru

How much money has MOS made from its sales?
- if MorphOS is not financially driven, and like Linux, then thats fine.  It would also make sense why no one cares about legality and why they are willing to go minimac.  That may be different from OS4 then.  Thats why i mentioned it and I know very little about Morphos hence i asked.  But i think selling your own hardware and software raises more funds for a company like Hyperion/Acube.  And that may be this other reason (assuming there's no legalities).

How serious of a company are they? Did they reach any agreement with Apple?
- If you're buying software for company, and you run an OS at a company, you'd want to know this...  cause companies can and do sue companies.  Also if i'm buying an OS for business use, knowing who i'm dealing with etc.

Anyway, why the hostility, are you like full time developer there or something?  No kidding, its impossible to generate income from Amiga since like 1994...
anyway crack open a beer - we are all amigans here! :cheers:

Edit: I guess you are developer on Morphos.  Apologies if comments/questions were out of context.

Offline Piru

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 06:10:24 AM »
@terminator4
is there legal issues?

There are none.
What is Morphos legal status

MorphOS legal status is just fine, as it has always been.
Has Apple provided MorphOS development team with all the documentation?

No. They haven't been asked for any, either. Nor have any NDAs been signed. No MorphOS source code breaches any Apple IP.
how do you know it's legal, and not a licensing issue?

Because Apple cannot impose a license like that. No-one can.

Offline Lorraine

• Show only replies by Lorraine
/
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 06:35:50 AM »
/

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 11:31:24 AM »

hbarcellos wrote:
Just found that on arstechnica:

"At the time of writing, Hyperion is still in the middle of a lawsuit brought by the company that contracted the development of the OS, Amiga Incorporated. The lawsuit hinges on the original OS4 development contract, signed in the wake of the dotcom crash of 2001, when Amiga Inc. had lost its funding and did not appear to be financially viable going forward. The deal specified that if Amiga Inc. were to declare bankruptcy, Hyperion Entertainment (which prior to the development of OS4 specialized primarily in porting games from Windows to the Mac, Amiga, and Linux) would gain full control of the rights to the OS.

Amiga Incorporated survived, but only through some sleight of hand that involved being purchased by a shell entity known as KMOS, which acquired Amiga's assets piecemeal and then changed its name to Amiga Incorporated (Washington) once the original Amiga Incorporated (Delaware) dissolved. Now that we're in the middle of the second dotcom boom, the new Amiga Inc. has additional funding sources and wants control of the OS back. Hyperion, on the other hand, maintains that the "escape clause" should be in effect."
[/size][/i]

So, looks like the Cell Phone Game Company is fighting to gain control over the Amiga OS again?
 That makes sense, but, why it prevents them to release other ports? It should prevent them to sell anything for any platform...
 Maybe they're holding other ports because those would generate real profits! :D
 :rtfm:

Ok, and what about that? The Cell Phone game development company want the rights over Amiga OS4? They want Hyperion to stop using the Amiga name?

And to MorphOS team, it really looks like that you guys have a superior product. Maybe the reason because AmigaOS caught more attention is (of course) because of the "Amiga" name?? :)
Why not try to set an agreement with this case-modding company :) http://www.commodoregaming.com, and maybe create a special PPC ITX computer (cpu + keyboard in one piece) powered with a renamed MorphOS to Commodore OS or something similar? I can BET the profits would be considerable. Something like a fun computer with a low entry price with DVI output along with 15khz outputs???

How difficult is that? Commodore guys would at least try to produce something barely related to a Business Plan...

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 02:26:39 PM »
Wouldn't it be perfect to buy a MacMini and a fresh copy of OS4?

The Hyperion core devs have explained many times why they are incapable of porting OS4 to the Mac.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »

jorkany wrote:
Wouldn't it be perfect to buy a MacMini and a fresh copy of OS4?

The Hyperion core devs have explained many times why they are incapable of porting OS4 to the Mac.

And what was their explanation?

:-?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 02, 2008, 03:04:41 PM »
takemehomegrandma,
And what was their explanation?

The documentation for the Mac motherboards is impossible to onbtain.