Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I have disbelief in Eyetech, Hyperion and Amiga Inc...  (Read 3541 times)

Description:

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
Re: I have disbelief in Eyetech, Hyperion and Amiga Inc...
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2003, 06:02:23 PM »
My absolute, worst moments were November 2000, and November 2001.

No computer to be seen, AND not particularly an Amiga, either. (elate/intent/Taos/Qnx, I didn't know what it all even meant, no need to explain, it's kind of gone now.)

I was especially crushed, because I started bragging to people that it was FINALLY, going to appear out of the darkness.

Now I'm using a w98se, 2.26 GHz 533MHz FSB, with 1 Gig Ram and a Ti4600 card, and guess what, I'm ready to throw it into the Pacific Ocean. I cannot stand it! It takes 92 seconds to boot up, and it's using a RAID card with two 7200 RPM HD in striped mode!!!!

Why's it take so long to boot up, I really don't know/don't care, it's all ms CRAP!!! ain't it?

You know what gets me, after about 5 or 6 days on 24/7, the computer SLOWS TO A CRAWL. Really. It responds slower than my A2000.

You may wonder how it goes so long without a re-boot, well, I only use IE, Outlook express and Notepad, that's how. Oh, and I'm running RC5 in the background, hence the 24/7. IE sometimes crashes it. Notpad is pathetic for a 53,248 byte program. Memacs does WAY more, and is just about the same size.

AmigaOne! Awaiting A1 with the HIGHEST of expectations!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2003, 06:37:44 PM »
@Atheist

I won't suggest any Windows machine is all that elegant.  But they finally got something acceptable in Windows 2000, and then, if you have the drivers, in Windows XP.

I use win2000 at home and work, and I can live with it.   I shudder everytime I think about using a 95/98/or ME box...the multitasking/reliability on those machines is bad.

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2003, 06:50:08 PM »
> Now I'm using a w98se, 2.26 GHz 533MHz FSB, with 1 Gig Ram and a Ti4600 card, and guess what, I'm ready to throw it into the Pacific Ocean. I cannot stand it! It takes 92 seconds to boot up, and it's using a RAID card with two 7200 RPM HD in striped mode!!!!

Windows98se isn't that reliable. I know it.. I'm using it! :-(

By the way, have you tried
Amiga Forever 5.1

Offline Spidey

• Show only replies by Spidey
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2003, 06:57:44 PM »
Wow Helgis75,

Honest, this is a shock! I mean it!
I just read something from you in some other thread and thought by my self "Hey, Helgis75! Nice!"
And now I'm reading this!

OK, I didn't choose the AmigaOne. I made my decision months ago. But for you, to think this way at this moment? Just wait a moment longer.
I am (hopefully) certain OS4 will come in a few months now (I'm guessing May-June).

In the end you'll have to follow your own instincts ofcourse.

Spidey

Offline Darth_X

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2003, 06:59:56 PM »
We had a wave of the Norwalk virus. Very nasty! So I understand how crazy things are with the Pneumonia virus there.

Everything is fine here, its spring break, and the weather is very nice. :-D

Offline filson

• Show only replies by filson
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2003, 07:05:57 PM »
@Hegis75
Don't go for XP. They got some wierd licencing going on starting from XP and Win2k  SP3.
Using those two gives MS the right to practially access your machine at any time they feel like it.
Oh, and resently some nice german guys cracked the windows update thingy. It turns out that MS gets your entire registry database ever time you connect. And XP/Win2k SP3 has this "check for updates every week" set as default. Bet CIA don't have as exact info about the world as MS does. :-D
My name is Filson. I solve problems.

Offline JetRacer

• Show only replies by JetRacer
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2003, 07:07:25 PM »
Atheist: I almost though I was the only one with a nicely specced x86 on the side :-)

Turn off the virtual memory. You find it in settings/system/advanced/advanced/virtual mem. Or something like that. There are no drawbacks unless you use Photoshop which refuse to start without VM.

To avoid crashes stop using IE. Dunno if it's networking related or browser related but my setup has been rock stable and the only difference between me and the rest of the world
is that I don't have my x86 connected to the internet. The only time it has ever crashed is when I tried to play some weird old 16-bit games with screenmodes not supported by my Matrox Parhelia512 graphics board (kaboom!).

The general performance of XP just suck! I mean the Parhelia is probably the hottest 2D hardware out there and XP still suffers from bad timing and sluggishness. Redhat isn't much better either.
*Zap! Zap!* Ha! Take that! *Kabooom!* Hey, that\'s not fair!

Offline Helgis75Topic starter

• Show only replies by Helgis75
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2003, 07:10:58 PM »
Well, i just hope my wait is worth it. I don't know. I had a little argue with Ben Herman. Haven't heard much from Fleecy at the moment, and Eyetech isn't answering my mails...

You know, i wish i could believe these people responsible for the Amigas' future, but then again...i don't believe it before i see it...Delays after delays, i'm so sick of it...even that the delays were for good reasons...April is the last change! If not, then i get pissed off..and then i have no choice but to leave the Amiga...

The fate is in your hands, Mr Amiga...
Helgis - AMIGA DEFINITELY makes it all possible!!!

Offline Darth_X

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2003, 07:35:40 PM »
Well, i just hope my wait is worth it. I don't know. I had a little argue with Ben Herman. Haven't heard much from Fleecy at the moment, and Eyetech isn't answering my mails...

How have things gone for you checking out the Pegasos?

Offline Red_Melons

• Show only replies by Red_Melons
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2003, 08:14:44 PM »
@ Agafaster:

"talk to Eyetech, Hyperion themselves for what to believe in, not what some dope (me included) says on some web page. (better yet, get a copy of Total Amiga !)"

Eyetech advert in the latest Total Amiga: "Earlybird systems are now shipping"

Alan Redhouse in the latest Total Amiga: "volume shipments of A1XE/G4-800's are starting in earnest at the time of writing ... However, as we individually test each board before shipping  ... some of you may still not have received your system by the time this issue hits the mailbox. Don't worry, your A1 will arrive soon."

The time of writing was about three weeks ago, and as far as I am aware no A1-XE's have been delivered :(

Offline Coder

• Show only replies by Coder
    • http://www.amiga.nl
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2003, 09:19:47 PM »
Hi,

I think the problem right now is that we need OS4 to be out. It's nice to see the hardware being out there but what also counts is the OS. And since no one can tell us when it is there we can only wait. I really understand the frustration some people have.

Coder
Check it out - I found the ass-end!

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2003, 09:29:58 PM »
And i could not believe it was you posting this i too am a bit fed up with the wait i ordered my amigaone earlybird motherboared bundle in november. i not worried about waiting i have 2 pc,s that i can use until it turns up and a 133 laptop .if i were you build yourself a pc and avoid xp and get windows 2000 .
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2003, 09:37:19 PM »
when eytech say they test each board before sending it out this will take a while because if i am right the burn in test of each board should take 24 hours ? :-D
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline Siggy

• Show only replies by Siggy
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2003, 12:54:35 AM »
My current system is a celery 400mhz PC, which only works 90% of the time, and the power supply is dying.

The knockaround 'clunker' I have as a hobby computer is an Athlon 400, bodged together from leftover parts from here and there.
And it does a pretty fine job (all things considered).

I use Linux t - running UAE JIT on it and it has a pretty decent speed (even through X).
Hell I've run AmiWm  running Galeon (browser), UAE, and Win98 (in VM ware) on 3 sliding screens for $h!ts and Giggles..

I'm thinking of putting Amithlon on there as well - though I have to look into it a bit more.

cheers.

Siggy
The TV business is uglier than most things.
 It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the Journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs,

Offline Ponos2D

• Show only replies by Ponos2D
    • http://www.inet.hr/~dponos
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2003, 02:37:49 AM »
Another one bites the dust!

I'm surpeised Helgis75!

I'm 5 years thinking about am I going the
right way, and there were lots of fights
in my brain to go or not to go WierdowsPC way!
I'm still on Amiga1200PPC/PCI and I love it!

WOOOOOHOOOO! Am I crazy or what :-D

Offline poweramiga2002

• Show only replies by poweramiga2002
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 22, 2003, 04:27:35 AM »
I actualy went out and bought an imac was too slow conpared to my A1200 ppc/grex/voodoo but at least i could get around on the net then i bought a new ibook thatt was way faster than the imac so browsing was fun again then ibrowse 2.3 came about now the 1200 kills the ibook on the net so stuff the other comps the amiga still does it better i actualy tried a pc it only lasted 1 month here i got so angry with it crashing and locking up i literaly smased it to peices never again will i own a pc