Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just what the HELL is Bill doing ?  (Read 3509 times)

Description:

Offline xaccrocheurTopic starter

• Show only replies by xaccrocheur
Just what the HELL is Bill doing ?
« on: March 17, 2003, 02:28:11 PM »
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2002/dec02/12-18pocketpc.asp

I'm really confused by this article.

Quotes such as "I recently took my son to a children's concert and was quietly playing some of the games from the pack on my Pocket PC Phone Edition. " Made me feel bad.

Not so much for realizing that Bill is a poor father  8-)  :-P  but more for reading this *blatant flattering lowtech advert* towards erm.. What should I say here... Plain reality, The enemy ?  :-?  :-?

Others like " The cool thing is that with a Pocket PC and an Amiga Anywhere Game Pak, you have a device that is better than Gameboy and an excellent organizer" Made me YELL ! This is STUPID ! False at best !

I mean, did I miss something  ? I though Amiga just wanted to logically enter the mobile market, partnering with the right guys, Sharp, Symbian and such, but this is...

Did you use a Microsoft product recently ? Let alone the moble crap they pathetically try to push with no succes, the actual MSN/MSIE/WinXXX is really containing the WORSE visions of what computing should really be.

I have tons of *hands on*, work stories proving, demonstrating this.

Maybe I'm a bit... Well no, I'm plain furious.  :evil:

pX

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: Just what the HELL is Bill doing ?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2003, 02:34:53 PM »
Hmm, I read "Bill" and "www.microsoft.com/..." and thought you spoke of Bill Gates. But then it was Bill McEwan ...
:-P

(PS. Confusing when he speaks about Amigas "rich history in video and film work" in the context of the DE stuff, isn't it?)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline duesi

• Show only replies by duesi
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2003, 03:17:36 PM »
I don't know why they make Cards for PocketPC
I talked to some PocketPC owners...

The most of them say that it's crap...because it crashes sometimes like a normal Windows PC...
(Blue Screen)

Where are the ctrl+alt+del keys on a Mobile Phone
or PocketPC ? :-)
A4000D CS060/MKII with SCSI, CV64/4MB, 128MB Fast, ACARD AEC-7720U SCSI-IDE,80GB Samsung HDD, Yamaha CDRW, XSurf2, OS3.9BB2
A500,1MB Chip Kick1.3/3.1,GVP A500+ 540MB HDD and 8MB Fast,GVP DSS 8Bit Sampler

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2003, 03:57:00 PM »
I don't think this is much of a surprise.  Bill Mc... comes from Gateway, for goodness sake.  He was much more of a company man than Collas; hence his final position at Amiga when it was owned by Gateway.

What does surprise me, though, is the beating that Bill Buck takes for all the opposite reasons.  For all of his sins-- real and imagined-- he has stuck with this platform for a number of years.  He pretty clearly believes in an alternative computing answer as opposed to some path toward integration into the microsoft mainstream.

Speaking strictly for myself, I think that the motivation behind alternative OS's is twofold:

1. Yesterday I had to load office xp on my daughter's computer only a couple months after she purchased it.  The reason for loading, of course, is that she loaded some fax software that came with a modem and windows had a fatal problem with it.  Anyway, I enjoyed the priviledge of spending a Sunday night reloading the OS and the software AND having to answer the question TWICE:  "How many computers do you have this program loaded on, sir?"  That, in my mind, is the number one reason for  an alternative OS.

2.  Secondly, the incredible challenge of fixing the registry in the event that its sensibilities have been offended is indicative of a design flaw so arrogant, deep and basic that I find it impossible to forgive.

Anyway, after that long tirade, I just want to take my hat off to Bill Buck for sticking with an alternative OS based on what most of us agree was a very fine product in AmigaOS.  (MorphOS is a salute and a continuation of the ideals of that product -- as is OS4, by the way.)

If anyone thinks that Buck has mad a ton of money-- or any money yet-- on this product, the thought must come from madness.  I am very greatful to him for supporting this site and ann.  I am looking for the same support from AInc.

I would like to criticize him for making the product difficult to buy in this last round of selling (I think I tried a dozen times to buy on Pegasos USA without success), but he seems to have sold all the product that he could make.  So I won't level that objection.

Anyway, I do agree with the first post in this thread.  I wish that all of us who attend productions of any kind with our kids would leave electronic gadgets at home; and I wish that Bill M... had some more engaging idea of what is interesting about alternative computing.  I think Buck deserves credit for a focus.

RLFrost  

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2003, 04:40:27 PM »
Anyway, after that long tirade, I just want to take my hat off to Bill Buck for sticking with an alternative OS based on what most of us agree was a very fine product in AmigaOS. (MorphOS is a salute and a continuation of the ideals of that product -- as is OS4, by the way.)

But what is the DE then?

If anyone thinks that Buck has mad a ton of money-- or any money yet-- on this product, the thought must come from madness. I am very greatful to him for supporting this site and ann. I am looking for the same support from AInc.

Hmm, I have a feeling that they (AInc) are more into "backstabbing" the old longtime community sites rather than supporting them ...

Offline MikeB

• Show only replies by MikeB
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2003, 05:28:09 PM »
Well i agree with everyones comments, but surely any Amiga exposure is a good thing.  Who cares what they are talking about as long as we get an AmigaONE machine and OS4, and in addition attract new Amiga users.

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2003, 05:33:48 PM »
> Hmm, I have a feeling that they (AInc) are more into "backstabbing" the old longtime community
> sites rather than supporting them ...

And I have a feeling you can't back that up at all. For the record, AInc DID support Amiga.org for quite a while.

I must say I don't get some people's animosity towards McEwen. I guess hardworking people trying to keep their company alive just aren't fashionable this year. Perhaps if he started making public statements about the Pegasos not working as promised, that Ralph Schmidt didn't graduate from high-school, and that people supporting Genesi are morons, you would like him. Or maybe if he spoke very patronizingly to the general manager of Epic before challenging him to a duel testing PocketPC hardware versus a Palm. Or something like that.

Kay

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2003, 05:45:27 PM »
and people call wayne a sellout for letting Genesi advertise on this site   :-D  I wonder what you would say if Microsoft wanted to advertise on this site?.... 'buy Windows CE/IPaq combo and get DE for free!!!" (or some such nonsense)\

I agree, I dunno why some people dislike BBRV, has he acted perfectly?, no. Is he the 'BEST" man for the job?, maybe not(in some peoples opinons).

does he try HIS BEST at what he's doing?, I would say "DEFINITLY". He's done an excellent job on (from what I can tell) a fairly modest budget, bringing a custom motherboard and a next-generation AmigaOS replacement/compatible OS to the table and offers it at a decent price.

I think he's trying his best to get his product to the table and for all his faults he gets the job done, wich 'in the end' matters more then all the pretty 'sweet' talk that you can shake a stick at.

I say give credit where credit is due and stop bieng hipocritical.

Offline filson

• Show only replies by filson
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2003, 05:46:24 PM »
Yay! Kay is in da house.
Now all you ranters, go sit in a corner. :-)
My name is Filson. I solve problems.

Offline MikeB

• Show only replies by MikeB
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2003, 05:50:25 PM »
not me!

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2003, 06:05:06 PM »
@Kay

I'm sorry, I don't have the least bit of animosity toward Bill M... as a person-- or as an executive, for that matter.  I just happen to disagree with his approach to computing.  Please disagree with any of the substance of my comment that you wish-- even call me a jerk or a moron if need be-- but don't put words in my mouth.  What I did say was that Bill Buck deserves some credit for his unwavering support of a desktop AmigaOS-like (if you wish) alternative.  I did NOT say that I have the least personal animous toward Bill Mc...

If he were to call me a moron or a saint it wouldn't change my opinion of the furious pursuit of games a whit.  I suspect that personally Bill Mc... is a perfectly nice man with whom I disagree.

RLFrost

Offline JetRacer

• Show only replies by JetRacer
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2003, 06:09:58 PM »
I have to agree with Kay and mips_proc.

Then there's always the deeper political issue too; why microsoft did it in the first place. Answer: to get "we support small developers" poster boys to fight off lawsuits and well deserved critisism. I don't blame Bill Mc for doing it, any publisity is.. ..well, almost.
*Zap! Zap!* Ha! Take that! *Kabooom!* Hey, that\'s not fair!

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2003, 06:11:35 PM »
@ Kay

Hello. Nice to see you back here. :-)

Kay wrote:
> Hmm, I have a feeling that they (AInc) are more into "backstabbing" the old longtime community
> sites rather than supporting them ...

And I have a feeling you can't back that up at all.

It's a feeling I have since recently.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1577
You might want to search for some other threads as well from aound that time.

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2003, 06:27:27 PM »
@rlfrost:

I wasn't having a go at you, or your statement.

@everyone:
I'm just a bit annoyed by the general tendency some people around here have towards cutting different people very different amounts of slack. If McEwen has to take heat for statements like: "I recently took my son to a children's concert and was quietly playing some of the games from the pack on my Pocket PC Phone Edition.", I wonder how people would react if he said something like "MorphOS will run on the AmigaOne, license or no license. One of you smart gals or guys will take care of that".

Don't worry guys, I'll run right over to AmigaWorld with the other blind wankers now.

Kay

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2003, 06:28:32 PM »
And I whish that some people would not be so eager to buy every single thing without critical reflection, just because it's sold by certain people. More critical thinking is needed. More debate. More discussion. Not less. Not one voice only, all others censored. But of course everybody is free to buy whatever he or she wants. And perhaps some people really *wants* that "one truth only, everything else is censored" thing, and is happy about that? Then fine. But I still get a repulsive feeling about that, and I would like to make a stance against it.

BTW, it's not products I am speaking about.