Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hi-End audiophilia, myths, misinterpretations and...  (Read 8917 times)

Description:

Offline m4rk1z

• Show all replies
Re: Hi-End audiophilia, myths, misinterpretations and...
« on: February 23, 2010, 04:39:45 AM »
I just wanted to comment on some things here (not too much b/c it's 5am in my country so i go to sleep soon)...

YES i also have monster cabels (i got them just to compare with others, i got two 75cm)
i would say everybody must buy cabels for specific music for himself so YES they make BIG difference, i also have AKG headphones (but have not used them for more than 20 year)... i had a AIWA walkman (better than sonys) in the '80s it is good like listen music in cars but that's all then!

So metallica, the singer (Hetfield) can NOT sing - i was watching them live!
Also in the DVD with SF orchestra Kirk Hammet just shows how he can NOT play or imitate Hendrix hahahahahaha so HELL_boyLAB is maybe right, thunder can be better :laughing: Metallica dissapointed me so much i left the concert, but i had luck b/c the intro group Cult was very good indeed! I know what i m talking about b/c i was playing guitar...

I also was at PINK FLOYD concerts they CAN PLAY very well and have such sound setups that i heard the first time in my life sound traveling from front to right and them in the back of me then to the left and BACK to the front !!!
That was a very impressive concert! I m sure i m not the only persons that had that great live experience...

@save2600 nice
Magneplanars or ELEKTROSTATICS (i think this ones, right?) Interesting stuff is when you buy some you have a break in period for them to settle down properly (playing non stop some music for a few days).
hehehehe i like the sound of them but not my thing really, i wanted to upload an quick cellphone of my livingroom hehehe it is silimar to yours but imageshack just sux (did not uploaded the picture???) try tomorrow again...   ok here it is...
Sorry, there is stuff lying everywhere you know i have two little kids and a life too!
;p
...and there was adjusting sound level with panasonic nv HD700 (i also have some pro vhs, can't remember the right now) but
my Nakamichi deck was just a little bit better than my vcr-s and vcr are not so practical for listening music at all...

I also have magneplanars but small ones just for watching HD movies on my DLP Infocus until i get a GOOD 5.1 amp so i can use my hifi again only for vinyls (so hard to get good LP's these days)...
So keep in mind when listening i move the speakers left and right about 1,5 m from the corners and the wall and put them on spikes (btw they are not so heavy ;p) i have a good big carpet and curtains in the room what's also important for good music!

@speelgod
audiophiles always rebuild their rooms to create an optimal acoustic space IF THEY CAN - you are right, my friend build his house with the idea of creating a big living room b/c the bass needs to travel about 6-7m for optimal quality, my friend made the living room with a sub bass system (what i personaly do not like) so his bass is coming from the room above thru a channel into the room it looks like someones fire place with his hi and middle speakers hanging from the ceiling (i m not living in a house) ;p

btw Save2600
GREAT turntable you have !
cya
i go to sleep now....       zzzzz....

p.s. sorry for my bad english...
;p
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:54:49 PM by m4rk1z »
Ex-progamer & very proud owner of:
A500, A2000/60, M1538, CD32, C64C/G/2x1541 II, 2x1581, 2xAR7/8, C128, C128D, 2x1084S, 8xC2N, SNES, 3xCOINUP, XBOX1/360

Offline m4rk1z

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:54:35 PM »
hehehe i had the b&w cdm1 and also dynaudio system but first had to less
bass and second was to linear...  both was EXCELLENT choice btw imho!
I love the softer sound, speakers like yours that have crystal crisp but soft high frequency
and fenomenal middles, i would not care to much about the bass but i had no 10k to spend
on them ;p (we tested some but i can not recall what they was...)

The latest speakers a got (and stick with them) was the one on the pic

http://44bx.com/tannoy/Cabinets2.html

the one with "15 driver and i also modified them a little
:laughing:

i m into hard rock Purple, Dire st., P.floyd, Zeppelins, I.Malmasten, Clapton etc etc... just a few...   so i stayed with the Ardens - works perfect till today!

I also never had enough money to buy some decent mono blocks from my friend hes making them maybe you heard of him?
http://www.karan-acoustics.com/kas180.php
i was very close once buying just one, but children came ;p
Can you imagine how good was the cdm1 on Milans K's 270 monos?

he also modded many good cd players to sound indeed very good!
;p
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:14:55 PM by m4rk1z »
A500, A2000/60, M1538, CD32, C64C/G/2x1541 II, 2x1581, 2xAR7/8, C128, C128D, 2x1084S, 8xC2N, SNES, 3xCOINUP, XBOX1/360

Offline m4rk1z

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:32:53 AM »
Quote from: Thorham;545929
I had two of these (for people who don't know what they are: They're amplifiers from the late sixties, and they're really good):

One of the stupidest things I've ever done in my life is selling them :rant:

You still can build one by yourself, it is not hard to do, before i got myself a mcintosh i was buying all the parts needed for a assembling a quad!

Some friends of mine did it and the result is fantastic for that money
:)

@crt mons  I play racing games professionally on my xbox so i also have a crt, a silicon graphics '24 - that's the only way to do it right!
LCDs are indeed (today 2010) good for browsing the net :roflmao:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:37:01 AM by m4rk1z »

Offline m4rk1z

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 10:38:47 AM »
Quote from: KThunder;546087
racing games are definitely the best on crt, but professionally? Did you say professionally? Where do you play racing games professionally and how can I get in on that?!?

Yup that's right, it's WCG or world cyber games...

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:47:23 AM by m4rk1z »

Offline m4rk1z

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 12:42:47 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;546151
Of course LCDs look crap. They don't put gold plated fuses in the power supplies of the units or use monster cables to connect up the matrix.
LOL.
I always liked the way a Monster cable reverted to a 1mm copper track at the amp and a .50 mm copper wire at the driver cone.
But it's a religion for a lot of people and a money maker for a lot of companies.  Good luck to them if there are the people out there who buy them.

I rember once playing a trick on a Audio sales person trying to sell me a set of expensive speakers. (with cheap drivers) He compared them to another set of speakers via the old multi stage switch, when he was interupted by another staff member I switched them back.
"Hmm you're right" I said when he retured. "They sound heaps better don't they."
"The sure do" he agreed, "Nothing like that cheap japanese crap."
I walked out.