Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hi-End audiophilia, myths, misinterpretations and...  (Read 8803 times)

Description:

Offline Hell LabsTopic starter

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
Re: Hi-End audiophilia, myths, misinterpretations and...
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 12:56:20 AM »
Quote from: save2600;544325
Not talking about hard rock or heavy metal concerts Hell Labs. Real concerts... orchestras comprised of human beings playing real acoustic instruments.
It can be both.:)

I don't actually think much good came out after grunge died, and that was a bit iffy. The only most of the talented musicians (apart from well, orchestras but w/e) that have come up in the past decade are all from scandinavian countries, germany, france or eastern europe, and as you can imagine they all have exactly bugger all mainstream attention (playing metal or house will do that too you :angry:).

Bringing it round to topic, have you noticed nobody actually records in stereo any more? I can put a steppenwolf album on from the 60s,listen to each channel sperately and they are completely different. I can listen to nirvana, and hear the guitar move across from left to right (messes with you if you use headphones). With modern music you might as well just save the trouble and chuck your left speaker under a train for all the difference it makes.

Thats if you're daft enough to listern to whatevers popular nowadays (I forget). after that whole late 90s-early 2000s girlband/boyband era I actually superglued my radio tuning dial to the classic rock station. I don't regret this.
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 01:07:23 AM »
Yes, recording techniques are in the shitter today. While even George Martin would argue that separating instruments like that is kind of a "no-no", it does make for a more compelling sound. Recording with minimal mic'ing (a microphone should be abbreviated MIC, not MIKE, as unfortunately some hi-end journalists mistakingly do), say two to four, enables a much more realistic sound stage image to be recorded and played back. This over-engineered Pro-Tools computer file crap that's been plaguing modern recordings for the last 15 or so years is for the frickin' birds! Music industry needs to wake up, but they're never going to. They're literally killing themselves slowly but surely and that's okay kind of. Not much music coming out today worth marketing or purchasing  ;)

I can count on one hand how many "popular" new bands since the mid 90's into the 2000's I'd care to listen to:

Jamie Cullum
Amy Winehouse (she may be whatever, but the music and talent around her is rather good)
Gnarls Barkely
Black Joe Lewis
Dave Matthews (a song or three and that's it though)

...really straining to think of anyone else as new in my record collection. I'll have to edit the post if I come up with anymore. lol

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 01:11:46 AM »
Quote from: save2600;544327
*awesome audio stuff*

...Jesus. That is NICE.

Call me an idiot, but if I was gonna drop big money on a sound system?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsSFcHX4F8k

lasonic trc-931, the gen 1 with the square corners from the 80s. I tell you, that ipod dock version is NOTHING compared to this. I've had dreams about it. I want to listen to grandmaster flash and the furious five with it.

But I know If I get one I'd have finished my entire life. After that, I'd just be waiting to die. I don't even care there were better ones back then.

I'm actually saving up for one now, but other stuff gets in the way. I'm also kinda scard to get it shipped across the atlantic.
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline save2600

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 01:19:24 AM »
LOL! I totally grew up with some really nice 'ghetto blasters' in my day. That thing looks like a modern rip-off of one though. Don't know much about it, but it looks too thin and cheap compared to the ones we had. Our stuff was usually grey, NEVER black and they had analogue VU meters, NOT LED's. Too many red flags for that thing to be taken seriously - even though we're just talking boom boxes. lol  If that's all that exists now though, I guess it's kinda cool for what it is. Wouldn't pay more than $150-$200 for it though (Assuming it's worth that much to begin with)... what's your definition of "big money"?

And yeah... if you're that tickled over a boom-box, ever read any Jules Verne? I hear 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea is a real good read... lmao

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 01:20:43 AM »
Quote from: save2600;544333
Yes, recording techniques are in the shitter today. While even George Martin would argue that separating instruments like that is kind of a "no-no", it does make for a more compelling sound. Recording with minimal mic'ing (a microphone should be abbreviated MIC, not MIKE, as unfortunately some hi-end journalists mistakingly do), say two to four, enables a much more realistic sound stage image to be recorded and played back. This over-engineered Pro-Tools computer file crap that's been plaguing modern recordings for the last 15 or so years is for the frickin' birds! Music industry needs to wake up, but they're never going to. They're literally killing themselves slowly but surely and that's okay kind of. Not much music coming out today worth marketing or purchasing  ;)

Yet ironically It was the atari ST and amiga that started the modern method of music production...

I'll get my coat.:roflmao:

I wouldn't worry about the music industry either, they're so slow to adapt to the modern world you might as well start your own record label. Its easy now too, any mug with a laptop and some mics can crank out audio cds. A mate of mine actually does this, he's got a cd label machine-type-thing (don't know what to call it), a high end colour printer, and he bulk buys cd-rs. The attitude of his is roughly "if it gets on the internet, good for them. It's not like I can take it back down again."

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 01:26:43 AM »
Quote from: save2600;544338
LOL! I totally grew up with some really nice 'ghetto blasters' in my day. That thing looks like a modern rip-off of one though. Don't know much about it, but it looks too thin and cheap compared to the ones we had. Our stuff was usually grey, NEVER black and they had analogue VU meters, NOT LED's. Too many red flags for that thing to be taken seriously - even though we're just talking boom boxes. lol  If that's all that exists now though, I guess it's kinda cool for what it is. Wouldn't pay more than $150-$200 for it though (Assuming it's worth that much to begin with)... what's your definition of "big money"?

And yeah... if you're that tickled over a boom-box, ever read any Jules Verne? I hear 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea is a real good read... lmao

Actually, that IS an 80s boombox. Quite a popular one too, they go for about $200 in okay condition. They actually brought it back twice, once in the 90s with rounded corners, and a terrible iPod dock that breaks constantly and everything on it is just stickers. the TRC-975 is a higher end version.

TRC-931:

TRC-975:

Little children have teddy bears. I have these buggers. Or would, if I could buy one easily enough. The only one on ebay is over $100 shipping, and broken.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:30:15 AM by Hell Labs »

Offline save2600

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 01:43:46 AM »
@m4rk1z:

Yes, I've recorded music to both a hi-fi VHS deck and a "Dolby Labs" VHS machine before. We both know which one is better, BUT... you're right. Even without control of the recording levels, a VHS tape is the closest thing possible to reel-to-reel sound as we can get. Very similar, if not exactly the same ips recording too. Just sold a Yamaha Hi-Fi VHS machine that allowed you to control recording levels in fact. Without the use of ANY Dolby noise reduction or compression - this is truly hi-fi at its best. Too bad the mechanisms are so damn noisy though  :mad:

Because of that, I still prefer recording on my Nakamichi made Kyocera decks.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 06:14:42 PM »
Hum, not everyone listens to that loud music they call 'pop-music' nowadays
But considering audiophiles, the most influential factor in music is the acoustics. I guess those audiophiles also rebuild their rooms to create an optimal acoustic space?
I personally am quite an audiophile, but I know where to stop (and to start :D)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline m4rk1z

• Show only replies by m4rk1z
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 04:39:45 AM »
I just wanted to comment on some things here (not too much b/c it's 5am in my country so i go to sleep soon)...

YES i also have monster cabels (i got them just to compare with others, i got two 75cm)
i would say everybody must buy cabels for specific music for himself so YES they make BIG difference, i also have AKG headphones (but have not used them for more than 20 year)... i had a AIWA walkman (better than sonys) in the '80s it is good like listen music in cars but that's all then!

So metallica, the singer (Hetfield) can NOT sing - i was watching them live!
Also in the DVD with SF orchestra Kirk Hammet just shows how he can NOT play or imitate Hendrix hahahahahaha so HELL_boyLAB is maybe right, thunder can be better :laughing: Metallica dissapointed me so much i left the concert, but i had luck b/c the intro group Cult was very good indeed! I know what i m talking about b/c i was playing guitar...

I also was at PINK FLOYD concerts they CAN PLAY very well and have such sound setups that i heard the first time in my life sound traveling from front to right and them in the back of me then to the left and BACK to the front !!!
That was a very impressive concert! I m sure i m not the only persons that had that great live experience...

@save2600 nice
Magneplanars or ELEKTROSTATICS (i think this ones, right?) Interesting stuff is when you buy some you have a break in period for them to settle down properly (playing non stop some music for a few days).
hehehehe i like the sound of them but not my thing really, i wanted to upload an quick cellphone of my livingroom hehehe it is silimar to yours but imageshack just sux (did not uploaded the picture???) try tomorrow again...   ok here it is...
Sorry, there is stuff lying everywhere you know i have two little kids and a life too!
;p
...and there was adjusting sound level with panasonic nv HD700 (i also have some pro vhs, can't remember the right now) but
my Nakamichi deck was just a little bit better than my vcr-s and vcr are not so practical for listening music at all...

I also have magneplanars but small ones just for watching HD movies on my DLP Infocus until i get a GOOD 5.1 amp so i can use my hifi again only for vinyls (so hard to get good LP's these days)...
So keep in mind when listening i move the speakers left and right about 1,5 m from the corners and the wall and put them on spikes (btw they are not so heavy ;p) i have a good big carpet and curtains in the room what's also important for good music!

@speelgod
audiophiles always rebuild their rooms to create an optimal acoustic space IF THEY CAN - you are right, my friend build his house with the idea of creating a big living room b/c the bass needs to travel about 6-7m for optimal quality, my friend made the living room with a sub bass system (what i personaly do not like) so his bass is coming from the room above thru a channel into the room it looks like someones fire place with his hi and middle speakers hanging from the ceiling (i m not living in a house) ;p

btw Save2600
GREAT turntable you have !
cya
i go to sleep now....       zzzzz....

p.s. sorry for my bad english...
;p
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:54:49 PM by m4rk1z »
Ex-progamer & very proud owner of:
A500, A2000/60, M1538, CD32, C64C/G/2x1541 II, 2x1581, 2xAR7/8, C128, C128D, 2x1084S, 8xC2N, SNES, 3xCOINUP, XBOX1/360

Offline save2600

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 04:51:31 PM »
Quote from: Speelgoedmannetje;544486
I guess those audiophiles also rebuild their rooms to create an optimal acoustic space?

Yeah, I have a couple of portable acoustic traps I set out when listening, but I really do need to dampen the corners and a couple of walls. I haven't gotten around to doing just that yet. It's funny, because the couple of serious audiophile friends I have, when they're over - they like the liveliness of my room as-is. One has admitted that he over dampened his room and he did. Just sounds dead to me, but then again - he's using conventional box speakers - to which I *am* an audio snob about. Only a few boxes have ever left a good impression on me and two that quickly come to mind are Thiel and B&W. I don't even care for the boomy/bassy sound that comes out of Wilson's more expensive stuff, although they come REAL close and I haven't spent too much time with 'em.

@m4rk1z: what speakers are you using in the room that's pictured?

Offline m4rk1z

• Show only replies by m4rk1z
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 07:54:35 PM »
hehehe i had the b&w cdm1 and also dynaudio system but first had to less
bass and second was to linear...  both was EXCELLENT choice btw imho!
I love the softer sound, speakers like yours that have crystal crisp but soft high frequency
and fenomenal middles, i would not care to much about the bass but i had no 10k to spend
on them ;p (we tested some but i can not recall what they was...)

The latest speakers a got (and stick with them) was the one on the pic

http://44bx.com/tannoy/Cabinets2.html

the one with "15 driver and i also modified them a little
:laughing:

i m into hard rock Purple, Dire st., P.floyd, Zeppelins, I.Malmasten, Clapton etc etc... just a few...   so i stayed with the Ardens - works perfect till today!

I also never had enough money to buy some decent mono blocks from my friend hes making them maybe you heard of him?
http://www.karan-acoustics.com/kas180.php
i was very close once buying just one, but children came ;p
Can you imagine how good was the cdm1 on Milans K's 270 monos?

:laughing:

he also modded many good cd players to sound indeed very good!
;p
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:14:55 PM by m4rk1z »
Ex-progamer & very proud owner of:
A500, A2000/60, M1538, CD32, C64C/G/2x1541 II, 2x1581, 2xAR7/8, C128, C128D, 2x1084S, 8xC2N, SNES, 3xCOINUP, XBOX1/360

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 10:50:31 PM »
MY stereo is this:

http://uk.shopping.com/xPO-Bush-3810B

It's a pretty good stereo. I bought the alba brand one from argos about, ten years ago now, cost a hundred quid. I just wish it had a graphic equalizer. Actually, I wish it was a 80s or early 90s model like my old one,as they tended to have a lot more features and looked a lot cooler.

How come you can't buy this kind of unit any more? Slap an iPod dock on it, job done, go home. They were already getting phased out when I got this, so sad.

Offline Tension

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 11:50:20 PM »
Oh dear it's Bush.

2 x 5 Watt RMS.

Holy shit.  Speechless.

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 02:45:50 PM »
Quote from: Tension;545602
Oh dear it's Bush.

2 x 5 Watt RMS.

Holy shit.  Speechless.
:cool:

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 03:20:51 PM »
i have seen studies that show that even though people can only distiguish x number of colors or audio samples,  with training or repetition they can tell the difference between x and z even though z should be out of their capabilities.
i have very good hearing, i take care of my ears with ear plugs (i worked in a pressroom for 13yrs) and i dont listen to loud music, but i really dont care about audio quality. i have an aureal vortex2 sound card in my pc from 1998 that i have had in every pc ive put together in the last 10 years because it gets the job done.
monitors on the other hand are a totally different thing. i use crts. my hdtv is crt because i specifically went out looking for one after comparing all the crts lcds dlps and plasmas. i perfer crt. i havent found an lcd i like because the color is wrong and the purity is terrible.
of course i spent over a decade matching color on a printing press.
looong story short, i think there are tiny differences between audio systems and there are people who care enough to pay for what they want. i could have gotten a crappy lcd for cheaper (and lighter)
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 02, 2010, 09:20:56 PM »
I had two of these (for people who don't know what they are: They're amplifiers from the late sixties, and they're really good):

One of the stupidest things I've ever done in my life is selling them :rant: