Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anybody using (or want) SCSI?  (Read 6128 times)

Description:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: Anybody using (or want) SCSI?
« on: October 12, 2014, 09:43:07 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;774889
I have stacks of Amiga SCSI drives that I'd like to read/write on my MorphOS machine, but no old LSI SCSI cards that are listed on the compatibility list.

I do have quite a few different Adaptec UW 160 and 320 cards, so I'm thinking of writing a driver for them.

I've already found a good example Promise SATA driver, so I think I can handle writing the MorphOS side and I've tested that Linux on my Powermac can use my PC Adaptec cards, so I don't see why MorphOS couldn't use them. Booting from SCSI isn't really a concern for me, I'd rather use SATA from my main drives.

I'm probably going to base the driver off of NetBSD though, I like how their drivers are written.

Is this interesting to anyone else or just to me? Either way I'm doing it for the fun/learning experience, but I'm just curious.

BTW, I don't have a Promise card to test with that driver from Aminet. Does it work?

I also have stacks of old SCSI hdd's and a few SCSI ZIP & JAZ removable drives (both internal and external), and would like to be able to use some of them on my G4 PowerMac if I had an SCSI host adapter card that worked with MorphOS.

Most people will probably say that it is a waste of your time, but if you think you can do it in a reasonable length of time and you can benefit from the driver yourself, I say go for it.  There will be a few people like me who will also appreciate your efforts.:)
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)