Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Public release of MorphOS 3.2  (Read 29220 times)

Description:

Offline gaula92

• Show all replies
Re: Public release of MorphOS 3.2
« on: June 05, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »
I believe they should have taken advantage of cheap ARM boards (Raspberry Pi, Pandaboard, Beagleboard) and jump in.
PowerPC is a dead end, it's been said hundreds of times before, but paying for a propietary OS on legacy hardware isn't very attractive anymore. I sold the Mac Mini G4 machines I was reserving for future MOS usage and I'm into GNU/Linux + wayland and FPGA Amigas.

Offline gaula92

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 02:31:02 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;736890
I think they should add an App Store, make MOS cheaper (~24.99 euros), and get a share (30%?) of app sales. That would boost everything: sales, new software for MOS, interest and etc...

They would still be running on stupid Apple legacy hardware. That's nonsense to begin with.

Just imagine MOS being released on the Raspberry Pi. That's a HUGE opportunity to get a good piece of OS market share! Look at Risc OS: no one knew about it years ago (outside the retro-computing scene, and even then it was a very exotic OS) and now it has became very popular thanks to the Pi.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:33:08 PM by gaula92 »

Offline gaula92

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 02:50:47 PM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;736893
Would you rather have *available for cheap* Apple legacy hardware or a overpriced one-off motherboard thats also a deadend and expensive to replace?

Well, I would prefer an good-priced board  that's not a deadend and cheap to replace, like the Raspberry Pi. What we have now, overpriced deadend hardware (OS4) or legacy Apple crapware (MOS) is not desirable at all.
I wouldn't touch an OS4 board with a 10mts pole, if you're talking about that.

But it's Amiga we're talking about. Rational decisions that are good for both final users and developers aren't very common in Amiga-land.

It has the best user community I have ever seen, tough :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:53:29 PM by gaula92 »

Offline gaula92

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 03:28:55 PM »
Hey Crumb! Another spanish amigan :D

Unless you plan to run your OS hosted like AROS I would prefer avoiding ARM hardware as the interesting bits like 3D&Video acceleration are usually closed source and the support is achieved through the use of binary objects supplied by manufacturer.

Well, I can program the accelerated DispmanX interface on the Raspberry Pi without any binary blobs. It's enough for an accelerated desktop compositor, as you can see in the Wayland for Raspberry Pi project.

About Raspberry Pi: even wondered why there's no proper Android port? the cpu is very weak without GPU assistance.

That's not true at all. The Rpi foundation has expressed many times that they're not wasting resources on a proper Android port with full hardware integration because running this OS is not among the Rpi project goals. And I understand it perfectly. I ran Android on the Pandaboard_ES for a while (with both accelerated video and audio APIs) and I came to the conclusion that it's nonsense to have it as a development/experimentation/desktop OS.
Rpi's CPU may not be very fast, but there's no Android platform running the graphical layer on the CPU: it's naturally bounded to GPUs.

This is the future of Amiga OS, the only possible future it has in the long term. Behold, for you will remember my words: AROS on an open hardware platform. It's already booting on the Pi.
When this OS4/MOS absurdity ends, open source Amiga OS will rule, as it's naturally destined to be.

http://www.imagecheese.net/images/img2013031.jpg
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:41:06 PM by gaula92 »