Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Public release of MorphOS 3.2  (Read 28808 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
Re: Public release of MorphOS 3.2
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 04, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
I have an iBook G3 and a Titanium G4.  What's the MorphOS support position for these?  I'd been holding on to the G4 for a future MorphOS release, and I'm thinking I just need to jettison the G3.

Offline pVC

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2013, 05:26:26 PM »
Quote from: billt;736530
Again with the left or right clicking on a Mac. Does MOS follow the ctrl-click for right-click tradition? or is there something different in MOS?

There are many ways to achieve RMB on MorphOS.

Easiest is of course to use any standard USB mouse and that's what sane people do instead of using touchpad ;)

But then other options:

- You can use ramiga+ralt keyboard combination as on any Amiga (rapple+key next to it on PB for example)

- You have configurable options for trackpad. RMB can be achieved with two fingers click or holding two fingers and pressing the one and only button

- You can use ShiftClick commodity provided with the OS. With it you can configure qualifier key which you should hold while pressing the button. Selectable qualifier keys are: left shift, right shift, control, left command, right command, left alt and right alt.

There might be other options too, but these are by default at least :)

Quote from: mykrowyre;736525
AAhhhh that's just embarassing.  I didn't know you could just right click and choose burn.

You could also browse to SYS:Applications/Jalapeno and start the burning software yourself.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:55:40 PM by pVC »
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline zyleseaTopic starter

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 10:25:44 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;736776
I have an iBook G3 and a Titanium G4.  What's the MorphOS support position for these?  I'd been holding on to the G4 for a future MorphOS release, and I'm thinking I just need to jettison the G3.

I think there's rather litle hope for support of these older computers. The cost/benefit ratio supportimg these is probably not a good one. ibooks G4 and Al-Powerbooks are plentiful and cheaply available.
Some Ti-Powerbooks have still atrractive enough specs though.

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2013, 10:55:42 PM »
If I were them, I would stop supporting new hardware immediately.
How many different Amiga models we had back then?
I would focus on making the OS run 100% perfect, supporting all hardware features of few great machines like: Mini G4 1.42 (A1200?), PowerMac G5 model XXX (A4000?) and PowerBook 1.67 (A1200m?): Wireless, Bluetooth and etc...

If you compare the most expensive Powerbook 1.67 17 Hires from eBay with the x1000, for example, that decision makes even more sense...

so, IMHO, adding support for new hardware is a waste of precious time from a small group.
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline zyleseaTopic starter

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2013, 11:04:14 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;736812
If I were them, I would stop supporting new hardware immediately.

My point as well. Polishing MorphOS further and prepare the huge step (i.e. ISA switch) should be #1 now.

PS: your sig seems to be outdated - I guess 3D on your sytems should run now.

Offline hbarcellos

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2013, 02:00:37 PM »
Signature updated.
BTW, what's ISA switch? Where can I gather more information about it?
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline gaula92

• Show only replies by gaula92
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »
I believe they should have taken advantage of cheap ARM boards (Raspberry Pi, Pandaboard, Beagleboard) and jump in.
PowerPC is a dead end, it's been said hundreds of times before, but paying for a propietary OS on legacy hardware isn't very attractive anymore. I sold the Mac Mini G4 machines I was reserving for future MOS usage and I'm into GNU/Linux + wayland and FPGA Amigas.

Offline hbarcellos

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2013, 02:23:39 PM »
I think they should add an App Store, make MOS cheaper (~24.99 euros), and get a share (30%?) of app sales. That would boost everything: sales, new software for MOS, interest and etc...

Offline gaula92

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2013, 02:31:02 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;736890
I think they should add an App Store, make MOS cheaper (~24.99 euros), and get a share (30%?) of app sales. That would boost everything: sales, new software for MOS, interest and etc...

They would still be running on stupid Apple legacy hardware. That's nonsense to begin with.

Just imagine MOS being released on the Raspberry Pi. That's a HUGE opportunity to get a good piece of OS market share! Look at Risc OS: no one knew about it years ago (outside the retro-computing scene, and even then it was a very exotic OS) and now it has became very popular thanks to the Pi.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:33:08 PM by gaula92 »

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2013, 02:33:35 PM »
Quote from: gaula92;736892
They would still be running on stupid Apple legacy hardware. That's nonsense to begin with.

Would you rather have *available for cheap* Apple legacy hardware or a overpriced one-off motherboard thats also a deadend and expensive to replace?
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline gaula92

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2013, 02:50:47 PM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;736893
Would you rather have *available for cheap* Apple legacy hardware or a overpriced one-off motherboard thats also a deadend and expensive to replace?

Well, I would prefer an good-priced board  that's not a deadend and cheap to replace, like the Raspberry Pi. What we have now, overpriced deadend hardware (OS4) or legacy Apple crapware (MOS) is not desirable at all.
I wouldn't touch an OS4 board with a 10mts pole, if you're talking about that.

But it's Amiga we're talking about. Rational decisions that are good for both final users and developers aren't very common in Amiga-land.

It has the best user community I have ever seen, tough :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:53:29 PM by gaula92 »

Offline hbarcellos

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »
Quote from: gaula92;736894
Well, I would prefer an good-priced board  that's not a deadend and cheap to replace, like the Raspberry Pi. What we have now, overpriced deadend hardware (OS4) or legacy Apple crapware (MOS) is not desirable at all.

But it's Amiga we're talking about. Rational decisions that are good for both final users and developers aren't very common in Amiga-land.

Gaula, most of your arguments are strongly subjective. I'll respond in some hours (in a meeting now! :) )

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »

I'm not too concerned with a new mobo setup.  I'm content with my G5 and hopefully soon a PowerBook :-)

Baby steps first...I'm sure the MorphOS Dev Team knows which direction to head.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2013, 03:03:57 PM »
@gaula92

Are you joking about mos on raspberry pi? These motherboards are good for some experiments but for a daily use like main computer i dont see the point.
a1200 060

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »
Well, I would prefer an good-priced board  that's not a deadend and cheap to replace, like the Raspberry Pi.

Unless you plan to run your OS hosted like AROS I would prefer avoiding ARM hardware as the interesting bits like 3D&Video acceleration are usually closed source and the support is achieved through the use of binary objects supplied by manofacturer. I would prefer x86-64 hardware as it's more open, more powerful and even easier to replace than ARM hardware.

Since team's resources are tight I prefer having nice powerbooks, mac minis and G5 machines to wait the years we'll need to wait for a proper port. Losing 68k transparent compatibility won't be nice but I guess we'll have to stick to UAE based solutions (not so nice but better than nothing).

About Raspberry Pi: even wondered why there's no proper Android port? the cpu is very weak without GPU assistance.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline gaula92

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2013, 03:28:55 PM »
Hey Crumb! Another spanish amigan :D

Unless you plan to run your OS hosted like AROS I would prefer avoiding ARM hardware as the interesting bits like 3D&Video acceleration are usually closed source and the support is achieved through the use of binary objects supplied by manufacturer.

Well, I can program the accelerated DispmanX interface on the Raspberry Pi without any binary blobs. It's enough for an accelerated desktop compositor, as you can see in the Wayland for Raspberry Pi project.

About Raspberry Pi: even wondered why there's no proper Android port? the cpu is very weak without GPU assistance.

That's not true at all. The Rpi foundation has expressed many times that they're not wasting resources on a proper Android port with full hardware integration because running this OS is not among the Rpi project goals. And I understand it perfectly. I ran Android on the Pandaboard_ES for a while (with both accelerated video and audio APIs) and I came to the conclusion that it's nonsense to have it as a development/experimentation/desktop OS.
Rpi's CPU may not be very fast, but there's no Android platform running the graphical layer on the CPU: it's naturally bounded to GPUs.

This is the future of Amiga OS, the only possible future it has in the long term. Behold, for you will remember my words: AROS on an open hardware platform. It's already booting on the Pi.
When this OS4/MOS absurdity ends, open source Amiga OS will rule, as it's naturally destined to be.

http://www.imagecheese.net/images/img2013031.jpg
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:41:06 PM by gaula92 »