Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org  (Read 28757 times)

Description:

Offline ffastback

• Show only replies by ffastback
Re: But ask yourselves: WHY?
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2014, 02:21:23 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;766494
I mean, it wasn't like Amiga.org was in need of "saving", there was no need for pity or charity, it wasn't like the site would have closed down without their intervention or anything like that. So why?

Who says it was pity or charity?  Maybe DiscreetFX was happy to sell to fund some other project, or re-start an old one like Oil Change the movie.  ;)

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2014, 02:28:36 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;766478
Its a valid concern when one camp buys amiga.org that the site will be censored heavily because they have a vested financial interest in doing so. Already shown now that posts counter to their agenda will be edited, deleted or heavily censored.

I would have the same concern if MorphOS developers or AROS developers bought amiga.org. Hope this forum stays worth visiting, but it looks bad already...

Seriously there's no 'vested financial interest' in supporting all Amiga flavours is there? The vested interest is in providing a community portal for all Amiga users without prejudice and without someone blatantly repeating over and over again why their chosen flavour is better than another users.
Enjoy what you like and respect that others do the same. Sounds simple right.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 02:31:18 AM by klx300r »
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2014, 02:41:36 AM »
Quote from: ffastback;766538
Who says it was pity or charity?  Maybe DiscreetFX was happy to sell to fund some other project, or re-start an old one like Oil Change the movie.  ;)

the question was not why sell it but why to buy it.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2014, 02:41:50 AM »

I really wanted to see that movie with my girlfriend!
Good thing "Blinker Fluid 2" came out! She's normal now!
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline TrevorDick

• Amiga Enthusiast
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by TrevorDick
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2014, 02:47:22 AM »

Why did we acquire Amiga.org? Was it pity or charity?

No to both questions. Bill was a willing seller and we were a willing buyer. We acquired all the Amiga.org brand and trademarks which were originally approved by Commodore in 1994 and pre-dates everything which came after Commodore's demise. That in itself was well worth the purchase price. However, speaking personally as an Amiga enthusiast, I just happy to help keep Amiga.org afloat together with the generous donations gratefully received to help with the running costs. Don't forget to keep feeding the kitty! ;-)

TrevorD
Supporting all Amiga flavours

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2014, 02:49:04 AM »
Quote from: TrevorDick;766534
I have been following this thread with some interest. We are reviewing  the TOS moderation policy, that is currently in place, with the  Moderator team. Expect some announcements in the not too distant future.

In  the meantime as a small piece of humour and light relief here are some "moderation rules" that is guaranteed to earn your a ban on any  community forum:

Rule 1: Argue! This is absolutely  the most important rule of posting in any online forum and many of the other  rules are based upon it. Be sure to start an argument whenever the  opportunity presents itself. In fact, even if the pportunity doesn't  present itself, argue anyway. After all, people don't come to message boards  to share ideas, have polite discussions, or learn new things; they're there  strictly for the non-stop arguments so be sure not to disappoint. Also, be  sure not to back up your arguments with any facts.

Rule 2: Flame other  posters. This rule goes hand in hand with rule 1. You're already starting an  argument, so why not insult someone while you're at it? Don't just disagree  with the previous poster's post; make it personal! If member John293 creates  a topic about why he feels the war in Iraq was unnecessary, you should  respond with "No John, the war was right and you're stupid for thinking  otherwise." Better yet, throw in an insult that has nothing to do with the  topic of discussion and make sure it's an insult about their appearance or  something in their personal life you couldn't possibly know anything about.  Take the previous example about user John293's anti-war post. An even better  response would be "No john, the war was right and you're ugly."

Rule  3: Never, under any circumstances,use proper spelling and grammar. Doing so  will only confirm that you are a nerd. Instead you should shorten three  letter words such as you and are and express them as single letters like U  and R. Be sure to substitute as many letters in a word as you can with  numbers. Spell these words wrong as well. For example, instead of typing "I  Like to eat," you should type "i L31k 2 34t." Also remember to never ever  begin a sentence with a capital letter. This will only make your sentences  easier to understand and in turn easier for whomever you're currently  arguing with to pick apart and respond to your posts.

Rule 4: Lie.  Fabricate stories about girlfriends or boyfriends (or Amiga hardware) you don't have,  experiences you've never had, and sports you don't play. After all, who's  going to check? This can be especially useful in arguments. Should someone  attempt to call you on an argument which has no factual basis (none of your  arguments should anyway), simply lie and tell them you graduated from an Ivy  League college at the top of your class which landed you a 6-figure job and  are therefore not only much smarter but also a more successful person in  general than whoever it is you're currently locked in battle  with.

Rule 5: When arguing, be sure to point out every minor spelling  and/or grammatical mistake in your opponent's previous post. This will  distract the other users reading your argumentative and insulting posts  (yes, you have an audience and everyone is interested in your petty fight)  from the fact that your posts have no actual substance or point to them.  Should your opponent's post contain no errors, call him or her a nerd for  taking the time to write out such a perfect posts. If your opponent points  out the errors in your own post (and there should be plenty of them), tell  him or her that you weren't really paying attention when you wrote it and  imply that he or she has no life for scrutinizing over it.

Rule 6: On  most forums there is a search feature. This feature is just there for show;  make sure never to use it. Instead, what you should do is make a new thread  about your topic. If it's already been posted numerous times before, great!  Now there's one more and every good poster knows you can never have enough  duplicate threads. If for some reason no one responds to your thread, don't  search for answers or information elsewhere. Simply make another thread  containing the exact same post you posted in your first thread. This time  around you're sure to get a response from someone and as an added bonus they  may complain about the duplicate threads...another chance to  argue!Rule

7: Never back down or give up on an argument. No matter how  clear it is that you're in the wrong and have lost, keep arguing and  flaming. When everyone realizes your argument has nothing to support it,  simply tell them that they just don't get it. If the other members politely  ask that you remain on topic and cease the arguing, insult them and drag  them into your argument. Don't ever stop until the board's administrator  closes the thread and issues you a warning and/or ban.

Rule 8: When  your username is banned from the forum (and if you've followed the previous  rules correctly it will be) register under an alternate username and  continue to troll about the forums. Mock the admin who banned your other  username while you're at it. When you're banned again, simply repeat the  process all over again.

One final rule, always disagree and argue with the Moderation policy and Moderators.

Footnote: If you follow this guide correctly you  should earn yourself the coveted "IP ban," the ultimate goal of all good  members of a message board, in no time!

TrevorD

may i guess that the opposite to the humorous rules is the correct and expected behavior?

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2014, 02:50:59 AM »
Quote from: TrevorDick;766542

No to both questions. Bill was a willing seller and we were a willing buyer. We acquired all the Amiga.org brand and trademarks which were originally approved by Commodore in 1994 and pre-dates everything which came after Commodore's demise. That in itself was well worth the purchase price. However, speaking personally as an Amiga enthusiast, I just happy to help keep Amiga.org afloat together with the generous donations gratefully received to help with the running costs. Don't forget to keep feeding the kitty! ;-)

TrevorD

Well Said! What took you so long? Us old Miggy Enthusiasts aren't getting any younger! :)
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2014, 03:35:44 AM »
Quote from: TrevorDick;766542

TrevorD
@Trevor
I was about to join up (due to your ownership)!
and discovered that the page page said to send money to Bill's company?
Page not fixed yet?

M

Offline TrevorDick

• Amiga Enthusiast
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2014, 03:40:00 AM »
@SACC-guy

I can confirm that one-off donations go to our PayPal account (I tested this myself by making a donation ;-)). We are in the process of checking/changing the other sign up links.

TrevorD

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2014, 03:46:17 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;766488
Maybe yes.
@kickstart
So sad to see you go...(self edited)

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2014, 03:54:08 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;766478
Its a valid concern when one camp buys amiga.org that the site will be censored heavily because they have a vested financial interest in doing so. Already shown now that posts counter to their agenda will be edited, deleted or heavily censored.

I would have the same concern if MorphOS developers or AROS developers bought amiga.org. Hope this forum stays worth visiting, but it looks bad already...
@haywire

who does own morphos site?

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2014, 05:43:50 AM »
Mentioning "feeding the kitty" is sort of poor form with these changes, imho.

I couldn't care less who owns the site as long as they don't change it from the spirited, well rounded place it is.

I also do know how business works.  The site is now a tax write-off for the new owners considering they do have some cross over factor.

I've got no problem with donations if people want to make them, and it does show the owners that the community supports them.  But when corporate interests get involved and associated costs of assets can be written off, I'd be hard pressed to give to what I essentially feel is someone's beer fund.

I don't see A-EON or AmigaKit asking for donations to keep their websites running, because that's a tax write-off.  I don't see A.org being anything different for the new owners, is all - even if nothing is changed.

I don't wish to sound like an unappreciative jerk here, but once corporations get involved, things do change.

Offline TrevorDick

• Amiga Enthusiast
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2014, 05:52:19 AM »
Tax write off. I'm not sure what that really means in this case? Amiga.org bills have to be paid whoever owns the website.

TrevorD

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2014, 06:45:11 AM »
Quote from: TrevorDick;766555
Tax write off. I'm not sure what that really means in this case? Amiga.org bills have to be paid whoever owns the website.

TrevorD

I don't understand that statement either.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2014, 07:33:38 AM »
It's a company asset, no different in how I can write my internet, hosting expenses off on the company I operate.  Perhaps your tax laws are far different than mine, though - and admittedly it all depends which form of business you operate.

I can write down such expenses at tax time and basically come out even on them.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #119 from previous page: June 14, 2014, 08:35:37 AM »
Quote from: TrevorDick;766555

TrevorD

Here in Germany you can reduce profit (and thus taxes) when you buy something company-related (f.e. a new computer, software, something for the office, new machines), the only question is if you can do it immediately the full sum or parts of the sum in a couple of years). I assume that it is the same where you live and I also assume that a-eon is a company.