Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Screenshots  (Read 4291 times)

Description:

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
Re: New Screenshots
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 18, 2003, 10:40:05 AM »

4pLaY wrote:
There is currently nobody working on a tcp/ip stack! there has been attempts of porting AmiTCP (dead since last year) and then someone tried porting lwip (dead since i cant remember) on a more positive note Martin Blom has started porting AHI so sound should be comming our way.

I thought Roadshow was planned for Aros? If so, it won't be available untill AOS4 is out. If Roadshow is anticipated, that would explain why everyone's holding off on TCP/IP.
this space for rent

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2003, 11:54:53 AM »

bloodline wrote:

Jaruzel wrote:
Oddly enough I was wandering around the AROS site yesterday....

Is AROS really worth using ? Or is it still only at 'curiousity' level ?

I'm particularly interested in the Native Version...

-Jar.

Hmm, good question... I find it useful, as I can boot a machine up at work (takes about 20seconds) and then play games. Then I can reboot and go back in the stinky WinNT4 (which is locked so than nothing can be installed, though this is not too dificult to get around  :-D ).

But most of you will probably find it a curiousity, at least until we get a TCP/IP stack for Internet/networking.

I think it's quite pretty to look at too. so I often just leave it running on my machine when people come around, and get a few bemused looks from them (many of whome had an Amiga many years ago).

Correct me if im wrong, but, the new TCP/IP stack done for AmigaO4 i think was done by Olaf Barthel and was done by porting the original BSD sources...

If you'r looking for easily portable stack source, maybe that would be a good place to start?

If it compiles for AmigaOS4, there could be a good change of it compiling under AROS without modification, but you'd prolly know more about that then me :).
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2003, 01:29:38 PM »

Rodney wrote:

bloodline wrote:

Jaruzel wrote:
Oddly enough I was wandering around the AROS site yesterday....

Is AROS really worth using ? Or is it still only at 'curiousity' level ?

I'm particularly interested in the Native Version...

-Jar.

Hmm, good question... I find it useful, as I can boot a machine up at work (takes about 20seconds) and then play games. Then I can reboot and go back in the stinky WinNT4 (which is locked so than nothing can be installed, though this is not too dificult to get around  :-D ).

But most of you will probably find it a curiousity, at least until we get a TCP/IP stack for Internet/networking.

I think it's quite pretty to look at too. so I often just leave it running on my machine when people come around, and get a few bemused looks from them (many of whome had an Amiga many years ago).

Correct me if im wrong, but, the new TCP/IP stack done for AmigaO4 i think was done by Olaf Barthel and was done by porting the original BSD sources...

If you'r looking for easily portable stack source, maybe that would be a good place to start?

If it compiles for AmigaOS4, there could be a good change of it compiling under AROS without modification, but you'd prolly know more about that then me :).

I believe that AmiTCP has now been chosen as the basis... I'm not sure as I don't get involved with such matters regarding TCP/IP.
 But work has begun of finanly getting it to work.

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2003, 01:31:48 PM »
cant ya rip FBSD's TCP/IP  stack? or what

Offline num10ck

• Show only replies by num10ck
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2003, 06:14:16 PM »
from my experience with AROS the new screenshots are frustrating.  I've burned 2 CDs with different nightly builds, and it won't complete boot.  in one it froze to CLI, in another it froze on black screen.  I've downloaded 4 different nightly build floppy images, and they keep untaring on workbench screen over and over...

the only version i was able to boot was the latest snapshot floppy which is WAY TOO OLD for the amount of progress you've made.   so my question:
When can I expect a new (tested and solid) snapshot?