Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aeros  (Read 6848 times)

Description:

Offline vidarh

• Show all replies
Re: Aeros
« on: September 08, 2011, 10:18:02 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;657462
Sounds like Aeros is Linux entirely minus the desktop environment, with AROS taking its place, so I'm guessing "no." If you want both, it's easy to run AROS hosted on Linux.

It *is* AROS hosted, but running full screen and with some extra glue to let the AROS side of things start Linux applications overlaid on top of it so you don't need the Linux desktop.

For my part, it sounds very interesting. I already have my desktop manager configured to work as close to AROS/AmigaOS as I can. But I need some Linux apps that aren't ported yet (most importantly recent versions of Firefox and Chrome, as well as Thunderbird). If I could use AROS my desktop manager and still run my essential Linux apps and it works well, I'd be spending much more time in AROS.

Offline vidarh

• Show all replies
Re: Aeros
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:34:34 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;658426
So IMHO (but I could be wrong) there is little point in "choosing Linux distro"; you won't see much of it, AROS is what you will see and use (with the exception of any Linux app you might choose to run), and I guess it comes pre-configured as one single SW package? Probably any updates will be handled in the same way? (i.e. you don't upgrade the linux part yourself, nor the AROS part, but download new releases of the AEROS OS that might contain both. This product is about Amiga/AROS, not Linux, which is only an "enabler" ;))

For me at least, being able to install and update Linux packages using apt or yum would be very important. Without that, it'd mean it might be a lot of hassle to get a lot of tools I depend on installed on it. To the extent that without access to a good package manager, it couldn't possibly replace my current Linux setup on my laptop - I don't have weeks of free time to compile stuff that's not pre-installed from source.

Getting that right will make a big difference in how viable it is for regular use for a lot of people.