Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: dosbox for amiga 68k?  (Read 28102 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show all replies
Re: dosbox for amiga 68k?
« on: December 04, 2012, 05:14:55 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;717478
Indeed not very useful. On my old 667 mhz Pentium 3, DosBox already doesn't work well. On 680x0 it will be completely unusable. DosBox is simply too heavy, regardless of how well it's optimized.

I'd love to be proved wrong, of course ;)

Hey what if we have a PPC Amiga running at 700 Mhz, can it then run DOSBox fine?

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 06:58:06 PM »
Anyone know by any chance the list of ALL DOS PC games that will run on ScummVMAGA?

Completely thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 07:00:52 PM by AmigaClassicRule »

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 07:19:13 PM »
Quote from: Seiya;718587
you can see many dosbox games on Retro Trailer on signature link

Erm you don't by any chance have that order in English?

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 09:00:21 PM »
Quote from: utri007;718598
How about ScummVM home page?

Are the compatibility listing in the original ScummVM homepage which is directed to the mainstream OS such as Windows, Mac is accurate enough for ScummVMAGA?

Thanks.

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;718616
do you mean this link?

The different version of ScummVM support different games, there was not point in me adding support for 'The 7th Guest' to the A600 version for example ;)

The version the supports the most games is ScummVM RTG 060.

BTW, you do known this is a thread about my new port (DosBox 68k AGA) and not my existing ports of ScummVM don't you?

* shuffles feet, look at the floor * Sooowwwyy :o:o

By the way back to the DOS AGA, if you manage with whatever skill you have to get DOSBOx working on AGA Amiga 1200 with 20 fps or even 15 fps I will donate money to you till the end of my life!!

You would have managed to bring HORDE OF NEW games to the Amiga 1200/4000 giving these system new life with a whole new meaning :D :D

I mean already the Mac 68k Emulator gave a new COLLECTION of apps and games into the Amiga 1200 that with AmiMSX and the other emulators out there, with your now new ScummVM AGA plus the already NICE LIBRARY of software and game collections originally designed for the Amiga making the Amiga A VERY fun system indeed!!!

Hey in the future see if you can get C64AGA out here and since there is a C64 cable from AmigaKit that allows you to hook real 1541 Disk Drive into the Amiga system and read foppy disk you can just master and perfect almost the original C64 computer emulation and then the emulation requires the REAL Disk Drive hooked into the Amiga...OMG you would have turned Amiga INTO A REAL PURE C64 with complete feel as I will be using the real disk drive to load games instead of emulated disk drive!!

Soooowwwwwy I went again off top :( I am just over excited at your super skill in programming. I am just saying you could ACTUALLY succeed in getting DosBox to work then you can easily do C64AGA as well. Then all I have to do is put a stick on my Amiga 1200 case: MSX Sticker, Console stickers, C= 64 sticker and DOS sticker...hehehhehe

I am getting all giddy.. :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:18:35 PM by AmigaClassicRule »

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 06:19:11 AM »
Quote from: Cosmos;718654
Here a video of an Apollo 040 running PCTask with Tomb Raider 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou4LhtKoDLs

:)

Your PCTask video impressed me. However I have couple of questions about it to clerify things for me.

1) Did you USE any real x86 hardware or is this purely running from Workbench Amiga 68k a software emulation of x86 PC?

2) It seems the speed of DOS cursor is smooth at 040 but the game play framerate is bad, would the framerate increase to an enjoyable level if we simply have a 060 CPU instead of a 040 CPU?

3) Can I run any 3D game that was designed for DOS or any DOS games using PCTask on AGA and run smoothly with a 20 fps or even 15 fps?

4) Is it like DOSBox? Can it run any DOS game or application or heck even install Windows 95/98 on PCTask on a real partition on the Amiga??

5) Can I run everything through AGA into my Commodore 1084S monitor with PCTask?

6) Can I still register for it and where can I buy it??
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 06:21:48 AM by AmigaClassicRule »

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 06:45:12 AM »
Quote from: Cosmos;718673
1/ only software emulation

2/ Classic machines are full of bootlenecks : for exemple, AGA slowdown a fast 060

3/ 15 or 20 fps ? Hum, you are a dreamer !

4/ Windows 3.1 is working AFIR, but Windows 95/98 not

5/ yes

6/ PCTask is now free

:)

1) COOL!
2) OK but can I at least run any 2D game if not 3D game at a good enjoyable speed with a 060 or this will never happen?
3) What if we upgraded to RTG or video card can then we run PCTask at a 15 or 20 fps? IS there away with AGA it can run at least at a decent speed to enjoy?
4) Thanks
5) SWEET
6) Where can I get the free version? In Aminet it is a demo only.

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 07:04:19 PM »
Anyone?

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 10:15:56 PM »
Wait....is that video running on GFX card Amiga or AGA?

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 07:07:34 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;718983
Mmmmm Tentacles...

It looks beautiful, but winuae is misleading. It may run on winuae at 30 fps, even in aga mode but if you take it on a real A1200 it will run on 1 fps. You know what I mean? :-)

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 09:07:38 PM »
Quote from: okejokej;719014
Well, he didn't say it runs 30 fps (don't see anything saying that on the shot aswell).

WinUAE can run with pretty real speed as long as it's set up properly.. :d If it's set to run "fastest possible" then oh well :p

I pray with all my heart that DOSBoxAGA ACTUALLY becomes a reality!! By bringing DOSBox into classic Amiga NovaCoder would have given it a new VERY LONG life span indeed :):)

Playing PC games through AGA is SWEEETER than ever!!

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 01:40:07 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;719105
Yep it will take a lot of work to make it fast enough to be worth releasing.

Thank you NovaCoder, thank u for all your port efforts!

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 03:44:56 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;725766
arise grandson...

Sorry for the crappy audio recording, it actually sounds just fine.

* jaws drop * What would it's speed be like on a real A1200?? If the speed is actually the same as the speed in WinUAE from youtube...can you release it now? You have actually done what majority consider not possible!!! I would LOVE TO PLAY ULTIMA 7 on my A1200! I would love to play DOS games on my A1200!!! 20 GB HD is no longer sufficient for me!!

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 05:13:56 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;725769
No sorry guys, lots of work to do to make it quicker before I'll release it.

Matt is also working on a dynamic 68k core, that should also help the speed up when it's ready to be plugged in.

* wipes droll * I can hardly wait. I am wondering NovaCoder....I know I am dreaming....oh God I know I am dreaming. But is it possible..just curious out of the blues curious can I install Windows 98 Me on this? Because if it can do Windows 98 Me on a 20 fps or even 16 fps I can finally have a single MMORPG game on my A1200..but..but if it cannot do that..and just be able to run DOS games on it..I am ok with that. I am happy with that. I have no objection with that :D :D :D :sealed:

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 01:27:29 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;736522
As some people know, one of my projects was to bring the current version of DosBox over to AGA 68k (nothing like a challenge and I managed ok with my ScummVM ports)
Unfortunately I discovered without some specialized ASM skills (which I lack) it would never be much use on real hardware because it's so friggen demanding
I did spend a few months working with Matt Hey trying to get an ASM 68k softcore working but we never quite got there unfortunately, read all about it in the links section below.
Rather than simply throw away the months of work that I spent porting and optimizing this emulator, I thought I'd upload it so people can see what could have been (using WinUAE).

I've included the full source code so maybe someone will do something good with it.
It is compiled for 060 but seems to run ok if you set WinUAE to 030 + FPU.

Oh well, can't win them all...........  

[youtube]FuXmfMuFJrc[/youtube]

Any idea how much RAM I need to run DOSBox?