Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: dosbox for amiga 68k?  (Read 27994 times)

Description:

Offline okejokej

• Show all replies
Re: dosbox for amiga 68k?
« on: December 04, 2012, 04:35:04 PM »
Well, since dosbox is basically a 386 emulator, I don't think anything would be really usable (comfortably) on it.

I believe dosbox primarily exists to run old dos games, and most of those would be just unplayable even on a 100MHz 060 with lots of RAM..
It's also written to be easily portable and that usually means sacrificing some performance.

I doubt it can outrun good old PC-Task unless it had a well written JIT. Which on 68k Amiga has to be written from a scratch, lots and lots of asm coding :D

On my old 400MHz ARM Symbian Nokia dosbox can't really handle anything and it even has JIT for arm in it.

So.. yeah.. what's the point? Of course if the author wishes so.. it's his time after all ;) And there's always the experience that comes with it.

Offline okejokej

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 05:58:27 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;717480
Hey what if we have a PPC Amiga running at 700 Mhz, can it then run DOSBox fine?

As JJ mentioned earlier, there are DosBox ports for Amiga-related PPC systems so test yourself or ask someone to do so :p (although it has no JIT afaik).

Offline okejokej

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 10:31:02 PM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;717501
I always love proving people wrong ;)
I like being wrong in such cases :D So I'm counting on you.

Seriously though, the plan is to optimize it for an Amiga 060 with (hopefully) a custom 68k 060 assembly core. If I can get to run as fast as my old 386sx then I'll be happy with it.
I understand you're planning to write a x86 JIT core?

As to the comments about it being pointless, those guys are missing the point ;)
Did I? I wrote that there's experience coming with it (undoubtly valuable for developing your skills).

I just meant that usability of such solution isn't really a good point. It just can't beat PC-Task when it comes to performance :p It's not about your skill, but about the program itself.

If there's any other point then I indeed must've missed it ;)

Offline okejokej

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:56:13 AM »
Quote from: djos;718800
So aside from my awesome KCS Power PC (NEC v30 powered) XT PC board, did anyone else make an internal PC board for Amiga's?

Umm there were some bridgeboards, but aside from KCS the other most common, and for A500, would be Vortex ATonce (I suppose..?).

Compared to KCS hmm.. ATOnce has a 286 instead of 8086 but also worse graphics emulation capabilities, AFAIR. I think installing it was also a bit more complicated as I THINK you also had to bridge it to somewhere. BUT it was mounted over CPU so maybe it's possible to have both KCS and ATOnce.. at once x). And I think Vortex had no RAM of it's own. (there was a "Plus" version with memory on board)

Sorry for offtopic.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:59:43 AM by okejokej »

Offline okejokej

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 11:08:02 AM »
Well, he didn't say it runs 30 fps (don't see anything saying that on the shot aswell).

WinUAE can run with pretty real speed as long as it's set up properly.. :d If it's set to run "fastest possible" then oh well :p