Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaONE Review Running OS4 Video  (Read 3987 times)

Description:

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
Re: AmigaONE Review Running OS4 Video
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 17, 2003, 04:32:45 AM »
Wow thanks to the webmaster for those mpg's on OS4, it is also the first time I've seen OS 4 in action.

It will be a long time, probably, before an OS 4 show is in Tennessee, but maybe someday :-)

I cannot wait till the complete systems are on sale!
Or rather I should say, I can wait, now, because it so soon...you could tell when I couldn't wait cause I was cranky and had a tendency to shout.

This community always amazes me...still strong after so many years, and now two hardware/os platforms are just about ready for launch!

Looking like a great 2003/2004 for Amigadom.

You know what, I'm even going to do an AmigaGuide format of our books, not for sale...will give them away, but just as a nod to the community.

peace,
MarkTime
Delfania

Offline JurassicCamper

• Show only replies by JurassicCamper
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2003, 08:47:46 AM »
@ editor, nice :-D

Stable as a rock here @ 933Mhz even with unstable debian installed.
Note cables are now much tidier and are zip tied in place, now my radeon8500 is now working.
Cables are round sheilded and grounded dataline 80 cables!

A1200T PPC 330Mhz in a Custom Modified Fractal Design R3 Case

Offline RedWarrior

• Show only replies by RedWarrior
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2003, 02:00:54 PM »
Is it just me, or is the AmigaOne EXACTLY THE SAME as a PC? Sans software (like there is any) everything about  that video made me think it was just an expensive PC with an old mac processor....

The bios font was identical to any PC from about 1982 onwards... what has happened to our Amigan identity? No custom chips, no custom case, not even a custom bios...  If I paint "Amiga" on my PC, is there a difference any more?

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2003, 03:37:23 PM »
@RedWarrior,

Well you'll have to wait just a few more months, but when OS4 comes out, that is the difference.
or if you have a peg II, MorphOS 1.4

I think you have hit on many points about what made the Amiga experience unique in the past, but the process of rebuilding the Amiga platform must come in stages.

The PPC choice does ensure that the Amiga market is in a unique position.  Not sure why you called it an 'old mac processor' since Amiga's never
were sold with a processor that hadn't also been used first in a Mac (the 68k line), unless you count the quikpak 060's, Mac's never used an 060.

But as for custom chips, well, Amiga simply doesn't have the resources to build a custom chip thats going to outdo the latest from ATI or nVidia, but
when you use MorphOS...and as you can see from the Video, OS4....you know you are using an Amiga, and one of the fastest Amiga's ever sold.

MarkTime
Delfania

Offline Eric_Z

• Show only replies by Eric_Z
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2003, 03:58:04 PM »
@RedWarrior

OK so what's your REALISTIC suggestions for the involved companies
on how to change things so that in your own subjective view,
 the "Amiga spirit" is preserved?  It's allways easy to complain,
but actually  finding real world alternatives is usually a bit more difficult.

That being said, I myselfe was not all that satisfied with the
hardware part of the new Amiga untill the A1-light was presented.
As in my world a "real Amiga" has got integrated graphics of some sort,
and the fact that there are people who are talking about selling
them in keyboard cases does not exactly make things any worse
(in my book anyway :-) ).

Offline Eric_Z

• Show only replies by Eric_Z
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2003, 03:58:05 PM »
Double post

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2003, 05:44:39 PM »
Cool vid, look forward to seeing more :-)

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2003, 12:41:33 AM »
The bios font was identical to any PC from about 1982 onwards...

If you insist, I can add the possibility to load another :-) It's below 1 k so it would still fit in the ROM.  But using the font of the graphics card is the more natural thing to do.

... Come to think of it, Topaz-80 anyone :-)
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2003, 12:43:49 AM »
I an a fan of Lucidia, personally.  Or Intergalactic Highway.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline DarkHawke

• Show only replies by DarkHawke
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2003, 10:58:14 AM »
@MarkTime:
Interesting responce.  So if we admit that it's unrealistic to have a traditional, custom chip based Amiga computer these days, why would you say we're still chaining the Amiga OS to the PPC?  Isn't that similarly unrealistic?  If it makes a hell of a lot of sense to leverage the video and sound card market established by the PC, why affirmatively hamper your hardware by insisting on what's become a niche CPU that's underpowered and overpriced in comparison to more mainstream choices?  I mean if one's irrational hatred of the Wintel market is just THAT extreme, why not an AMD Athlon?  It'd still be inexpensive and powerful, and coupled with an efficient OS like the Amiga OS, you'd have a scorchingly fast PC!  

If the OS is truly the difference, why worry about the hardware at all?  Of course there should be a "reference platform" spec for the OS (BTW, no different than any other OS out there), and for the die-hards who simply can't bring themselves to buying a computer that doesn't have the official Amiga seal of approval, perhaps authorizing Amiga-branded hardware solutions that conform to that reference platform.  But beyond that, let the entire hardware solution be a commodity, not just the bits and pieces that make it up.  Let the OS go free and challenge the status quo on equal footing.  It'll be cheaper for all and bring a lot of Amiga ex-patriates back into the fold for not a lot ot money.  And that, I think, is the key to EVER expanding the Amiga OS userbase beyond the narrow confines of today.
\\"For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these: \\\'It might have been!\\\'\\"
     -- John Greenleaf Whittier

Amiga.  Wish the world could have known.