Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: newb questions, hit the hardware or not?  (Read 33469 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: newb questions, hit the hardware or not?
« on: July 15, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;768987
It's not when your target is AGA+68020/30 and possibly A1200+trapdoor fastmem. Why do we have to take higher end systems in account, and make sacrifices on the low end, while the software could work perfectly fine on low end?

This is Amiga we're talking about, not some high end computer where making use of the OS for everything might make sense. For low end (68020/30) using the OS is fine. Well behaved software is nice, after all, and killing the OS (except for WHDLoad and demos) isn't a good thing, same for not using the OS's screen open functions. But blitting has to be fast on low end machines, or the software is going to run like crap.

Why does everything have to be adapted for high end machines and custom expansion boards? Want to run Amiga software? Use an Amiga.

With the blitter, yes, but the blitter is too slow.

It's also the only way to get good performance on low end machines. It's old fashioned because the hardware is old, and many Amiga users use this hardware.

It's not like we can't detect the machine we are running on and use a different codepath for each architecture. Best of both worlds. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

Re: newb questions, hit the hardware or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 12:22:15 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;768994
would it not be better to have standard libraries for that with versions for the different target platforms? When I worked on building up Aros Vision I did a lot of search (in both web and aminet) and found a lot of libraries that are dedicated to offer fast graphics hiding what platform you use (partly supporting ECS,AGA and RTG). SamuraiCrow knows one of those (and the owner has permitted to make changes on it). If adapted it would make life a lot easier. The 68k codebase is huge and we should make use of it as far as possible. We should have a set of portable libraries covering all important areas like graphics, sound and so on so that developer do not have to care about implementations/optimizations for a certain core (and it would be possible to port it to AROS/MorphOS/AmigaOS too).

There are many. Not sure about publicly released ones but I know of several that are in various states of finish.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini