Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Genuine originals or fake originals???  (Read 7445 times)

Description:

Offline orb85750Topic starter

• Show only replies by orb85750
Genuine originals or fake originals???
« on: April 01, 2011, 10:28:07 PM »
This seller on eBay offers a variety of Amiga and C64 stuff.  Take a close look at the rare C64 disks that he sells.  He seems to have an endless supply of some rare titles.  No original disk sleeves??  You be the judge: Genuine or Fake?

http://shop.ebay.com/basicwayne/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
Re: Genuine originals or fake originals???
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:36:07 PM »
I don't think they're fake nor do I think they're that rare. I mean, Little Computer People and M.U.L.E. are well-known games, and the C64 was pretty successful.
Unless you meant the fake part is calling it rare...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:39:10 PM by Speelgoedmannetje »
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 10:56:17 PM »
Quote from: Speelgoedmannetje;626679
I don't think they're fake nor do I think they're that rare. I mean, Little Computer People and M.U.L.E. are well-known games, and the C64 was pretty successful.
Unless you meant the fake part is calling it rare...

Not super-rare, I agree.  Where would one get dozens of these disks without their original sleeves, instructions, etc?   (He's sold a ton of them over the last year or so.)

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 11:44:17 PM »
I voted genuine at first, because I figured why would someone go out of their way to supply licensed JiffyDOS chips and then chinse out on the floppies? But then looking at the label on Wizard of Wor... looks like that could have easily been printed out on one of those Avery address labels. Seems to have that matte finish. Selling multiple copies of the same stuff is kinda strange, but who knows. This guy may just be a hoarder like 90% of us. Keep in mind too, MOST people back in the day did not keep their boxes. Lucky to find original manuals anymore either. Seems they too often get separated from their disks. Life happens and then some dudes girlfriend or mother comes across 'em and they end up getting tossed.

BTW: M.U.L.E. looks authentic as its label has that actiplaque shit going on. You know... where it looks like a greasy fat fingered clumsy thumbed bastard handled it way too many times.   :laughing:

Offline shaf

• Show only replies by shaf
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 12:08:59 AM »
The CSG and MOS Chips appear Authentic. I don't know about the JiffyDOS ROMs. Any Disk CBM released directly never had Manufacturer Labels  (At least in Canada) the 1581 Utility/Demo disk appears to be a fake.
The C64 Diag. Cartridge is useless without the wiring harness, all loop-back tests will fail.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:17:36 AM by shaf »

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 12:13:03 AM »
Probably a mixture of both, some genuine some fake you get the same stuff on the UK eBay all the time especially "home made" cartridges... :)

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 12:15:24 AM »
Quote from: save2600;626691
I voted genuine at first, because I figured why would someone go out of their way to supply licensed JiffyDOS chips and then chinse out on the floppies? But then looking at the label on Wizard of Wor... looks like that could have easily been printed out on one of those Avery address labels. Seems to have that matte finish. Selling multiple copies of the same stuff is kinda strange, but who knows. This guy may just be a hoarder like 90% of us. Keep in mind too, MOST people back in the day did not keep their boxes. Lucky to find original manuals anymore either. Seems they too often get separated from their disks. Life happens and then some dudes girlfriend or mother comes across 'em and they end up getting tossed.

BTW: M.U.L.E. looks authentic as its label has that actiplaque shit going on. You know... where it looks like a greasy fat fingered clumsy thumbed bastard handled it way too many times.   :laughing:

Actiplaque -- I think I know what you mean!  But wouldn't a scanned/reprinted copy of such a soiled label look the same?  What I don't really understand is all the white sleeves (all these Commodore disks came with Commodore-branded sleeves), but maybe he put those there on purpose so that he could continue to use the same auction image over and over without the buyer expecting always to get the original sleeve with the disk.  Suppose that would make good sense for a seller on eBay.

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 02:33:10 AM »
Wow, I took a closer look at the Wizard of Wor disk.  I'll bet my life that it's a fake.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 03:51:40 AM »
Quote from: Franko;626705
Probably a mixture of both, some genuine some fake you get the same stuff on the UK eBay all the time especially "home made" cartridges... :)

Bingo! If they can fake SID chips, disks are a cinch and cartridges only slightly harder. At least those last two probably work.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Franko

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 04:01:40 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;627110
Bingo! If they can fake SID chips, disks are a cinch and cartridges only slightly harder. At least those last two probably work.

You can buy all the stuff you need to easily make C64 cartridges from ebay, it's usually the guys selling the fake cartridges who'll sell the stuff to make your own cartridges... :)

PS: I should know, I bought the bits'n'bobs to give it a try and it work perfectly... ;)

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 04:12:58 AM »
Quote from: Franko;627112
You can buy all the stuff you need to easily make C64 cartridges from ebay, it's usually the guys selling the fake cartridges who'll sell the stuff to make your own cartridges... :)

PS: I should know, I bought the bits'n'bobs to give it a try and it work perfectly... ;)

Agree. I wanted the C64 Ms Pacman Rom.  Originals sell for $100s.  A copy of the original Cart $20.  Playing the game(that's what it all about).. Priceless.!
The exitation of the primate orbitofrontal cortex and amygdala producing tangent epiphytic recollections,,(sigh) doubly so.

Offline Franko

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 04:18:47 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;627114
Agree. I wanted the C64 Ms Pacman Rom.  Originals sell for $100s.  A copy of the original Cart $20.  Playing the game(that's what it all about).. Priceless.!
The exitation of the primate orbitofrontal cortex and amygdala producing tangent epiphytic recollections,,(sigh) doubly so.

You can get cream off the doctor for that you know, it ain't fatal (well unless it kills you and that can be bad sometimes)... :)

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 04:24:18 AM »
Quote from: Franko;627116
You can get cream off the doctor for that you know, it ain't fatal (well unless it kills you and that can be bad sometimes)... :)

AKA Associated Memories....  I have the cream already but I use it for something else...

Offline T3000

• Show only replies by T3000
    • http://www.rcfreas.com
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 04:41:32 AM »
The 1581 Demo/ Utility 3.5" disk is a forgery. The original CBM floppy casing is dark blue. The label in the photo is very poorly reproduced and the floppy cover has a Memorex logo.
Maverick V5 copy utility 3 disk set is also a copy as the original 5.25 discs did not have a notch and, if I remember correctly, white plastic.
The Little Computer People appears to be authentic. Poor photograph. Hard to tell.
If I could get to my C=64 stuff and would be able to verify.

Based on other items poorly reproduced lables, I'd say this guy is....  ARRGH! A PIRATE!

Offline Franko

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 04:49:45 AM »
Quote from: T3000;627119
The 1581 Demo/ Utility 3.5" disk is a forgery. The original CBM floppy casing is dark blue. The label in the photo is very poorly reproduced and the floppy cover has a Memorex logo.
Maverick V5 copy utility 3 disk set is also a copy as the original 5.25 discs did not have a notch and, if I remember correctly, white plastic.
The Little Computer People appears to be authentic. Poor photograph. Hard to tell.
If I could get to my C=64 stuff and would be able to verify.

Based on other items poorly reproduced lables, I'd say this guy is....  ARRGH! A PIRATE!

Put some cream on it, it works for Gertsy... :D