Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IndivisionECS will have dual video output!  (Read 19812 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: IndivisionECS will have dual video output!
« on: August 26, 2009, 04:57:49 AM »
That's rather impressive :D

Dual head ECS. Who would have thought it? Well, Jens did, obviously, but who else?

When I first got the BVision, I didn't set up the 56kHz audio hack and could still use AGA screens alongside the RTG output. It was actually quite handy for things like fullscreen spectrum emulators :)
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 11:47:17 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;520957
But since Paula never received an upgrade no software was ever written to take advantage of better audio, so any upgrade to Paula would be a waste of time.

Oh, I dunno. I quite like the idea of a replacement that is register compatible with Paula but extends it with a few extra features. It would be cool if the incoming sample data was internally upsampled to 16/24-bits 44/48kHz, with optional interpolation per channel. In addition you could have a pan register for each channel. Digital output would be very nice too.

Even if all you had to start with was a global "mixer" tool that could bang these new registers directly to globally set the interpolation/panning of each channel it would be better than nothing.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 01:16:53 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;520961
yeah it's a nice idea, and the old longing for such a thing is strong... But honestly, a cheap Audio DSP chip off the shelf would be soooooooooo much better it is scary!

Sure, but such a DSP could be part of the output bus of said design. I'm just talking about a legacy paula interface.

I didn't say anything about not having dedicated RAM and a full blown DSP on the other side of it (for AHI drivers perhaps).
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 11:08:42 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;521059
I don't think so... it looks like the Amiga thinks it displays a 640*512 (or 640*256 it doesn't matter) with 4 bitplanes, i.e. 16 colours... but the first two bitplanes display on one monitor and the other two display on the other monitor... giving two 8 colour screens... it is a bit like the old DualPlayfield effect that I used to love using to get faster blitting back in the day... but with each playfield on a different monitor. One of the few advantages of using blitplane graphics over chunky ones...

You sure that isn't a pair of 4-colour screens?  ;)
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 09:46:42 PM »
@Jens

Somewhat off-topic, have you ever thought of designing an accelerator card? Almost every A1200 accelerator card I've used has had memory access times a lot lower than is the theoretical peak for the CPU on the card. It would be rather nice to have something comparable to the CT60 :) Then see about an A600 version LOL!
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 04:10:09 PM »
@bloodline

I think I'd prefer something like the Boxer rather than a PCI card with custom chipset on them, if that's what you are getting at :)
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 03:38:06 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;522183
Oh no! nothing like that!!! I was referring to the very early CloneA concept, I've never been  fan of the chipset on a PCI card... since I prefer to do as much in software a possible. :)

Ok, I just googled "CloneA". Is this what you meant by the "big one" you've been waiting for?

:roflmao:
int p; // A