Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: eBay sucks!  (Read 7162 times)

Description:

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: You have to wonder...
« Reply #74 from previous page: September 06, 2007, 10:18:08 PM »
My hangup with ebay is how people present it:

"xyz product - FOR SALE!" - open the message

cgi.ebay.com.blah/blah/#asp?/crap*

Look, ebay isn't a "sale" unless you've stuck a BUY IT NOW on it.

C'mon people, it's simple logic.  FS: for SALE.  FA: ...

Wait, no, that'll get me in trouble with the mods.

Let's try: if you're auctioning it say so.  Wherever and for whatever it is.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline BGary335

« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2007, 10:42:30 PM »
@orange

Most fools are content with the knowledge that people know their fools. Apparently you feel compelled to prove it. I'm not here to argue. I'm here for discussion. If you've got some personal beef, PM me and we'll discuss it that way.

@B00Tdisk

I agree. Be up front in your presentation of an item. Make it crystal clear whether its for sale or auction.

PC Dude Computer Support-For help with all your PC issues!

Offline gdankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by gdanko
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2007, 06:40:10 AM »

B00tDisk wrote:
My hangup with ebay is how people present it:

"xyz product - FOR SALE!" - open the message

cgi.ebay.com.blah/blah/#asp?/crap*

Look, ebay isn't a "sale" unless you've stuck a BUY IT NOW on it.

C'mon people, it's simple logic.  FS: for SALE.  FA: ...

Wait, no, that'll get me in trouble with the mods.

Let's try: if you're auctioning it say so.  Wherever and for whatever it is.

Exactly.. I get irritated when I click a For Sale link and see a dad gum eBay URL! Have some consideration for people who don't care to deal with eBay!

Offline BGary335

« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2007, 06:00:58 PM »
I just saw a set of Amiga A10 speakers sell for $173.50 on Ebay. Are you kidding me? For a set of speakers? You can almost buy an entire Amiga computer for that! I find it very hard to believe that those speakers are worth that kind of money. How on earth would you justify spending that on a pair of speakers?  :-o

Offline BGary335

« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2007, 06:08:05 PM »
Here's another good one from Ebay: I saw an auction where the seller said he would throw his A2500 in the dumpster if it didn't sell for at least $105. Apparently he had tried selling it once before and it didn't fetch the bounty he was looking for. So then I guess the genius figured someone would buy it if he threatened to toss it. That proves that its all about the money and not about the love of the Amiga.  :roll:

Offline BGary335

« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2007, 07:51:27 PM »
Yet another good one from Ebay-there's an A1200 tower going for nearly US$700! Insane!  :roll:

Offline Damion

« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2007, 08:38:23 PM »

BGary335 wrote:
I just saw a set of Amiga A10 speakers sell for $173.50 on Ebay. Are you kidding me? For a set of speakers? You can almost buy an entire Amiga computer for that! I find it very hard to believe that those speakers are worth that kind of money. How on earth would you justify spending that on a pair of speakers?  :-o

Yes, it is absolutely ridiculous for a set of speakers. You could easily buy a pretty nice set of bookshelf speakers that would annihilate those little pieces of crap.

BUT... they are somewhat rare, in fact I haven't noticed a set on ebay before. So you have 10 guys who all collect vintage commodore/amiga hardware, don't have these speakers, but have money, competing for a mint boxed set. It's like guys who collect comics, cards, coins, vehicles, etc... they'll never even use them, just put it away to "have" or pull out and admire from time to time. I know a guy who does the same thing with cars... he has a special, secured garage to store all the Mercedes he drives 100 miles a year.

Actually, I was expecting those speakers to sell for more.

For myself, though I try not to hoard or spend ridiculous amounts for this stuff, a few months ago I spent $25 for a new/sealed Bard's Tale for the Amiga... seemed like a good idea at the time, but definitely not easy to justify out loud, LOL. It's something I have fun with, I just try not to get too carried away. (The sad thing is I actually have little time these days to enjoy my hobbies.)

It's all a matter of perspective... most people would consider spending ANYTHING on amiga related things is a complete waste, even $10.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2007, 09:00:54 PM »
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I have a set of those speakers boxed (Amiga A10).. I'm going to ebay that tonight and hope I get that much.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline BGary335

« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2007, 09:09:43 PM »
Yeah I suppose the sky is the limit if people with lots of money are involved. That's why I try not to get too excited about anything I bid on on Ebay, because I know that there's a good chance that someone is going to jump in at the end and make a ridiculous bid. I had the A1200 system I was bidding on earlier this week taken right out from under me with less than 2 hours to go. Now I'm bidding on something else, and I expect a similar turn of events, as time is close to running out on it. What really steams me is that early some guy who SELLS Amiga stuff made a bid on it. Why? he thinks he can sell it for more? Let someone who wants to use it have it! But such seems to be the way of Ebay. That's why I often ask around here, because I have a better chance of getting what I need at a better price than if I have to compete with a hundred other people on Ebay.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2007, 09:39:37 PM »
i know what you mean.. I buy stuff on ebay but usually you know what a item will go for on ebay.  sometimes people pay rediculous prices for stuff but if thats what they want to do, let 'em.. its their money, they can afford it (or not..depends on if you're the guy that flaked out on my A4000 toaster auction)
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline BGary335

« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2007, 11:10:10 PM »
Well as I predicted someone came in with a late bid on the item I was hoping to win. I'm back in the lead again, but I'm not so sure its going to stay that way.

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2007, 12:41:31 AM »
@BGary335

Here is proof you can find deals on the bay!  If this will not motivate you to keep hunting nothing will!  Remember deals can be had!  At a thrift, ebay, Craigslist, etc.  It just may take you a few years but it will happen!

A few years ago I was strolling eBay for newly listed Amiga stuff and I saw a DKB 3128 Zorro III memory card for $25 Buy it now!!  Guess what I did next? LOL

Also you might want to join the "Dark side" and start snipping bids.  It's the only way unless you are filthy rich and want to throw away loads of ca$h!
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline BGary335

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2007, 12:53:07 AM »
What is meant by snipping bids? I've seen the term used a few times but I have yet to figure out exactly what it means!

Offline Damion

« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2007, 01:34:15 AM »
Sniping is entering your bid like 10 seconds before the auction closes... in fact, TJ himself sniped something out from under me several years ago (I think it was a NIB 1571 for like $20)... and ever since then, I also place "snipe bids" on certain things... LMAO

Matter of fact TJ, thanks to you I STILL don't own a nice '71... :lol: j/k

Anyhow, it can be a good tool to get something you want for less money. Other times, 10 other people have the same idea as you and it doesn't work as well. :^)

Offline BGary335

« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2007, 01:35:57 AM »
I see. Well it's something to keep in mind anyway.

On another note, I finally managed to win a hard drive for my A500!! Of course, it set me back $150, but that's still fairly reasonable.

Offline doctorq

• Show only replies by doctorq
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2007, 08:14:59 AM »

On another note, I finally managed to win a hard drive for my A500!! Of course, it set me back $150, but that's still fairly reasonable.

LOL. The same person that well over a week ago stated that paying more than 100 USD for an A500 harddrive is ridicilous, now thinks that 150 USD is fairly reasonable. Isn't that ironic?

I guess that makes you a well off prick now. And you are certainly not a true Amiga fan anymore.