Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: RetroGeek/DoomMaster selling stolen goods  (Read 6837 times)

Description:

Offline downsjTopic starter

• Show only replies by downsj
RetroGeek/DoomMaster selling stolen goods
« on: March 03, 2007, 02:27:19 AM »
Hi all,

After doing some searching on the forums, I'm sure it comes as no surprise to any of you, but I'm here to tell you that RetroGeek/DoomMaster/etc, aka George Campbell of Beaverton, Oregon, is selling stolen items on eBay.

Specifically, items that he stole from me.

Yes, I did a stupid thing and let him convince me to leave the items with him on a promisary note for $200.  My bad.  He's actually quite personable in person, and portrays himself as an active and respectable member of the Amiga community and successful eBay merchant... and without doing any research, someone like me who just wanted to get his Amiga stuff out of his garage would know no better.

At any rate, he got a large amount of Amiga items from me over three months ago and never paid me for them.  Two boards have been sold on eBay already (here and here), and another item is in his current auctions (here).

Let this be a warning to all, and for those who already dislike the guy... You're right.  He's a liar and a thief.  Based on my communications with him, I'm not the only one he's ripped off recently, either.

If anyone would like more information, feel free to PM or email me.

Offline TjLaZer

Re: RetroGeek/DoomMaster selling stolen goods
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 03:08:55 AM »
So was he to pay you for the items after he sold them or something?  Well since he has sold them why not ask him, or visit him (assuming you live close to him)?  I have dealt with him on a couple of occasions and he has comed through for me.  I have heard others have had the opposite experience.  I will email him and get his take on this and let you know.
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 03:15:13 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Mate. You're not the first and you probably won't be the last. =(
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 03:15:44 AM »
Actually, he was supposed to have paid me for them within a couple of weeks.  He's since sold at least some of the items on eBay, and has yet to pay me.

Believe me, I have been in communication with him, and it's my belief that he has no intention of ever paying me.

Offline hotchalupa

• Show only replies by hotchalupa
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 03:16:04 AM »
I'm new to the community and this sort of thing scares me... The sad part is that I was referred to one of his auctions last week by someone local to me (and I'm sure that if you're reading this you'll probably figure out I'm talking about you...I mean no offense in my omission), but was warned by someone else about him (RetroGeek) and decided not to bid in the auction... Boy am I glad.

Has anyone filed a formal complain again this guy?  Either legal or even contact eBay to see what venues there might be?

I know he does not represent the entire Amiga community, but in all honesty this sort of thing makes the experience for new comers like myself be more "en guarde" and less enjoyable (like it should be).

I hope you can find some sort of resolution, and this type of behavior needs to be punishable or they will continue.

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 03:21:11 AM »

hotchalupa wrote:
Has anyone filed a formal complain again this guy?  Either legal or even contact eBay to see what venues there might be?

I'm planning on contacting the Beaverton police on Monday.

Offline stopthegop

• Show only replies by stopthegop
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 03:22:24 AM »
His reputation is very, very well documented
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 03:24:55 AM »

downsj wrote:

I'm planning on contacting the Beaverton police on Monday.

*laughs*

Maybe you will be the last, then.  :lol:

I hope that's true. He's a stain on the community.  :madashell:

NOTE - I'm laughing at him, not you. I really hope you get the guy. He's ripped off a lot of people.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 03:26:39 AM »

stopthegop wrote:
His reputation is very, very well documented

If anyone else has been ripped off by him recently and is willing to speak with the police about it, please email or PM me.

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 03:27:24 AM »
Yup, he's ripe for post-natal abortion. He's scammed a lot of people and generally is an idiot.

Good luck with the Beaverton police!

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 03:29:22 AM »
He told me he gets "donations" of old computers from people and he then resells the stuff he does not want.  Sounds like he thought you "donated" that stuff to him.  Or he is in denial about it and thinks of it as a donation!  Don't know what your dialog has been with him but if this is true, this is not cool.  He needs to pay you the $200 if that is what you guys agreed on.  I have met George and he seems like a descent guy.  Like I said I have conducted business with him atleast 4 times and it was all positive!  I am just going off my experience.

Offline hotchalupa

• Show only replies by hotchalupa
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 03:29:44 AM »
Perhaps this is everyone's cue to come forward and formally complain.  Simply posting on a message forum to warn others is nobel but it does not resolve the issue.  The problem is that people with bad ethics go both ways (buyers and sellers alike), so half the people probably don't even care those items are stolen.. He will continue ripping the honest people off, and serving the ones that are just like him.

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 03:32:08 AM »
@hotchalupa

I bet you are the proud new owner of a Commodore 2002 RGB monitor, aren't you?  :banana:

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 03:33:19 AM »

TjLaZer wrote:
He told me he gets "donations" of old computers from people and he then resells the stuff he does not want.  Sounds like he thought you "donated" that stuff to him.  Or he is in denial about it and thinks of it as a donation!  Don't know what your dialog has been with him but if this is true, this is not cool.  He needs to pay you the $200 if that is what you guys agreed on.  I have met George and he seems like descent guy.  Like I said I have conducted business with him atleast 4 times and it was all positive!  I am just going off my experience.

Kind of difficult to interpret signing a note for $200 and making a verbal promise to pay as being a donation.

You certainly got a response from him quickly... He's been ignoring my emails today.

Offline d0pefish

• Show only replies by d0pefish
    • http://lavaburn.com
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 03:34:18 AM »
Some of these are corkers. Enjoy, or not...

http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=retrogeek001&sourceid=Mozilla-search&Dirn=Received%20by&Many=ON

Nuff said, the guy's a complete {bleep} who needs locking up. Sorry to hear you've become one of his victims. :cry: