Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The future of Amiga.org ...?  (Read 24127 times)

Description:

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
Re: The future of Amiga.org ...?
« Reply #14 from previous page: August 20, 2009, 03:15:34 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;520142
The problem is this: Everybody - except, as usual, Wayne - knows that this site isn't going to sell for 10,000 USD. It would be insane to pay that much, period.

He's not going to get what he's asking for - the question is how he's going to react. Having witnessed Wayne's reactions to similar problems in the past, I have my doubts if amiga.org will survive this.
Thanks for your vote of confidence, and the not so subtle insults.  Very helpful. I wondered when the trolls would show up.  My response wouldn't be nearly as helpful, albeit much shorter.

99% of the content of this site are forum postings. These postings are owned by their authors, not by Wayne - hence he can't sell them. He can only sell the domain and the existing infrastructure.
Absolutely, unequivocably wrong.  Period.  Not even a point of discussion.  the content posted on ANY site becomes the inherited property of the site, and it's covered in the TOS which has been posted in various versions since 2001.  Same with Moobunny, same with AW, same with MZ, same with *any* site.

When Microsoft bought out yahoo, did all the links go away?  When Google bought out YouTube, did all the videos disappear?  No.  The end-user still has the right to delete their videos (or in our case, each of your posts/contributions) but in absolute fact, the content is part of the site and inseparable as such.

Edit: if you want to consider it "selling the domain and getting free data" then that's fine, but whomever purchases the domain gets the whole ball of wax, not just the domain name.  Whether or not that makes you uneasy or not is completely irrelevant.

Without you, who spent quite some time to migrate the content from the old CMS to the new one, all that Wayne could sell would be a domain and an empty forum. You don't seem to care, but the timing of events...

1. Wayne complaining that he needs to upgrade the CMS, because "running a.org wouldn't be fun anymore if we don't"
2. Karlos investing lots of hours to migrate the content
3. Wayne trying to sell the whole shebang for an insane amount of money because "running a.org is no fun anymore"

makes me feel uneasy.
You're right about one thing.  We are *all* indebted to Karlos for saving the data from the last x years.  Absolutely.

1) Never complained about "it wouldn't be fun any more".  The upgrade was mandated by the hosting provider's abandonment of PHP 4.  The copy of Xoops that we had was damned near 10 years old, having been used to satisfy the diehard AmigaOS users.  Period.

2) No Argument, and you should thank your sweet bippy that Karlos was here to save the data to begin with.  I could have just as easily done a full, clean reboot without any data.

3) Stop making shit up buckhead.  

- I no longer have any personal interest in anything Amiga
- I want out, and want to make sure that whomever takes over is serious about it
- I have a 15 year vested interest in this site, it's content, and it's copyrights.

For *that* purpose, and *that* purpose alone, there is a price tag associated with it.

The fact that you crawled out from under your rock long enough to come in here and absently attack me for it speaks volumes for what's wrong with this community as a whole, though I do like to believe that 99% of the community is better than this.

Any further insults or attacks will be met in kind.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 03:25:30 PM by Wayne »
//* Signature Free *//

• Winning!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 03:30:41 PM »
Quote from: ffastback;520147
Are you trying to say Amiga.org is worth 10,000 USD because you think English Amiga Board, Amigans.net, and Amigaworld.net are not worth anything in the Amiga universe?  Maybe you did not mean it that way, can you clarify?
I'm not suggesting anything of the kind, but thanks for twisting my words.

None of the mentioned domain names are AMIGA.ORG, which is what I said.   None of them has been around 15 years, and none of them have anywhere near the amount of historical data this site does.

If the owners of those sites choose to take the same path I have, then more power to them and I wish them luck.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

• Winning!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 03:32:10 PM »
Just to be clear, this thread just made moobunny.  While I have a great amount of respect for 90% of the posters over there,  I don't expect it to be civil or troll-free for too much longer.
//* Signature Free *//

• Winning!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 03:40:16 PM »
That's a good point though.  If, like the trolls, everyone is so caught up on the $10,000 USD figure, why don't you guys get together, figure it out, and make me a REASONABLE offer?

At this point, I may bow out of the thread, because I'm just not into the whole troll fighting defensive thing.  

You guys go back and read my first few posts and you'll understand both what, and why I'd like to accomplish this.  Don't read between the lines.  Don't imagine what you think I meant.  Read what I said and let me know what you guys really think.  

Trolls and naysayers need not apply, because one way or another, a solution will be found.
//* Signature Free *//

• Winning!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 03:45:02 PM »
Quote from: ffastback;520155
I asked you a question.  I did not twist your words.  I even said that maybe you did not mean it like it came off and simply asked if you could clarify the statement.  Thats it, pretty simple and basic.  Thanks for clarifying.
Apologies, and the reason I may bow out of this thread for a bit.  After a few attacks, both here and soon other sites and PM, I'm feeling a little bit defensive and -- as usual, with apologies -- it shows.

I feel like a newly engaged woman who, upon presenting her new engagement ring to her closest friends, gets belittled and told how ugly and worthless the ring is...  :)

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

• Winning!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 04:03:10 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;520159
:lol:

Then why bother posting!?

:roflmao:  Valid point!  :)
//* Signature Free *//

• Winning!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 04:28:30 PM »
Quote from: demusse;520166
so you want to buy a jag with the 10k ? :)
Nope.  Jaguars as beautiful, but maintenance nightmares (according to pretty much everyone I've asked).  I'm getting used to the Mazda, though it's not my favorite vehicle of choice.  Like everyone else I guess, I'd either invest it, or use it to pay off a couple of credit cards and cancel out that debt.

Wayne
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 04:30:39 PM by Wayne »
//* Signature Free *//

• Winning!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 04:45:47 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;520165
Not trying to be helpful towards Wayne is not the same as not trying to be helpful at all.
Saying "Good luck but I have reservations" is not the same as coming into my house and insulting me either.   A point easily overlooked.
//* Signature Free *//

• Winning!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 06:46:23 PM »
Based on multiple requests, and agreeing that this thread is outliving it's useful purpose, I'm locking it.

I've stated my case, the reasons, the hows, and the why.  Short of that, if you'd like to discuss it, please feel free to do so to me directly via Private Message (PM).

Whether or not the site sells to a new owner is not really the deal here guys.  My biggest interest is in being able to move on, while assuring that the new captain will keep the ship upright and true.  Whether or not you feel I'm asking too much, or I'm wrong for doing so is truly irrelevant to the situation.

It is what it is.  I've ALWAYS had a price set on the site, and it's currently 1/2 of what it used to be before the community was splintered.  I would challenge any of you to point out where I've ever pretended to be anything more than a capitalist.

As for hosting, between the ads and the donations, the site's hosting is, and will continue to be paid for by you, the community with my heartfelt gratitude for the votes of confidence.  Hopefully this thread hasn't damaged your opinion of me so much that said trend will stop.  The site has ALWAYS been covered by it's members.  Nothing about that should hopefully ever change.

For the record, The site will not change for the foreseeable future.  We, or more meaningfully, I am not going anywhere or changing.  NEVER have I intended to suggest this site will be discontinued.  

Admittedly, I've bitten off a bit of troll bait enough to respond rashly to a few, but again, being told that your life's work is worthless is not a pill easily swallowed.

In truth, I'm trying to get my life back in order and on track.  This site has seen me through multiple jobs (including self-employment), a painful divorce and loss of a good friend, being screwed by BBRV, and more drama than I can recall.  

This site to me, is a reminder of younger, more impetuous times.  As such, I just feel like it's time to put it behind me.  At the same time however, I don't feel in any way that 15 years of work is worthless, so forgive me if I've nipped a bit at the less-than-helpful trolls on this one.

I look forward to your replies via PM or even e-mail.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

• Winning!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 10:26:31 PM »
Hi guys,

Over the past three days, I have been very overwhelmed with the support shown by our members regarding the potential sale of Amiga.org... I am literally humbled to know that there are some of you who will go to great lengths to preserve this great site for the future. It proves to me what an incredible community this always has been.

That being said, I'm very happy to informally announce I have received an offer from a person I trust with the future of this site. He, his partners, and I have come to a tentative agreement regarding the sale and subsequent transfer of Amiga.org.

Once we iron out all the particulars and a contract is signed, there will be a 3-month transition period to follow during which time absolutely nothing about the site itself should change.  

All of our current moderators will remain (should they choose to do so), only my successor will need to be chosen by the new owners, and I've made my recommendation to the purchaser as to who I personally think would be the best person for the job.

As I promised when this drama began, absolutely nothing about this site will change in the foreseeable future, save for one staff change. Both I, and the potential owners are in complete agreement on that core ideal.

Amiga.org has always, and will always exist to support the Amiga community as best as we possibly can and I will make absolutely sure that you are all kept in the loop as to any changes, as soon as they occur.

Even though I'm not going anywhere right now, I am honored by your remarkable support, and will always be grateful to each of you for the chance to provide Amiga.org to the community for all these years.
//* Signature Free *//