Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple's iPad 2 is the 'Holy Grail' of computing  (Read 17218 times)

Description:

Offline dentunes

• Show only replies by dentunes
Re: Apple's iPad 2 is the 'Holy Grail' of computing
« Reply #89 from previous page: March 22, 2011, 12:57:14 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;623496
Exploding batteries is.
No other product has had an issue with exploding batteries other than Apple?

Apple isn't perfect but that is a load of crap.

Sony
http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Sony-Goes-to-Bed-With-IBM-2.jpg/

HP
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1649552/hp-expands-exploding-battery-recall

HTC
http://www.neowin.net/news/htc-touch-pro-battery-explodes-the-trend-continues

I think you get the point.
Amiga, Amiga, Where for art thou Amiga?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2011, 01:24:09 PM »
"Cult" doesn't begin to explain it.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2011, 01:26:08 PM »
Quote from: dentunes;623721
No other product has had an issue with exploding batteries other than Apple?

Apple isn't perfect but that is a load of crap.

Sony
http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Sony-Goes-to-Bed-With-IBM-2.jpg/

HP
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1649552/hp-expands-exploding-battery-recall

HTC
http://www.neowin.net/news/htc-touch-pro-battery-explodes-the-trend-continues

I think you get the point.

Shame Apple won't replace my exploded battery nor will they repair the damage it caused to my MBP.

Unlike the companies above.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2011, 01:44:26 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;623725
Shame Apple won't replace my exploded battery nor will they repair the damage it caused to my MBP.

Really?

Apple sent me a replacement battery and a letter stating that due to concerns regarding the battery they had issued me a replacement... Also included was a prepaid courier sticker to send the old battery back (I just took it to the apple store, as the Regent street one was on the way to work)... This was a few years ago (for my 1st gen MBP)... I never even knew about the issues they alluded to...

All I can think is your registered address was wrong :(

Everyone has issues with various companies, I think I've been lucky not to have issues with Apple yet (I've also not had any issues with HP, though I have far less HP equipment).

Offline nicholas

« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2011, 02:09:16 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;623730
Really?

Apple sent me a replacement battery and a letter stating that due to concerns regarding the battery they had issued me a replacement... Also included was a prepaid courier sticker to send the old battery back (I just took it to the apple store, as the Regent street one was on the way to work)... This was a few years ago (for my 1st gen MBP)... I never even knew about the issues they alluded to...

All I can think is your registered address was wrong :(

Everyone has issues with various companies, I think I've been lucky not to have issues with Apple yet (I've also not had any issues with HP, though I have far less HP equipment).

Bought two identical 17" MBP's on the same day in March 2008 from the Regent Street store, both have had the motherboard replaced more than once in the first six months, one had its dvd replaced twice,both had exploding batteries last year.

They definitely have my correct address too.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2011, 02:22:39 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;623735
Bought two identical 17" MBP's on the same day in March 2008 from the Regent Street store, both have had the motherboard replaced more than once in the first six months, one had its dvd replaced twice,both had exploding batteries last year.

They definitely have my correct address too.
I would definately have issues with Apple if I had suffered the same... But I have bought a 12" PowerBook G4 (in use with my father), gen1 15" MBP (currently used by my younger brother), 2 gen2 15" MBPs (for live music), 1 late 2008 15" MBP (new style, currently my main computer), plus one 13" MB for girlfriend... All generations of iPhone (plus a couple of iPod nanos, and a 69gig iPod classic)... I have them still in use without issues (except the MB, the girl friend kept it when we broke up)... As I said, I think I've just been lucky, I've been pretty lucky with Amiga kit too thinking about it...

Offline dentunes

« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2011, 02:46:46 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;623725

I guess if you had AppleCare we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I bought an HP laptop and it had a new screen, DVD drive, Hard Drive and power supply in the first 9 months. When warranty fixed it I sold it immediately! Maybe they thought after two batteries, at least two motherboards and two DVD drives, MAYBE, you had an impact on the breakdowns. Not saying you did though you could see how they may think that. I had a first generation MBP and the DVD drive went on it. I sold it like that and the purchaser didn't mind.

Things break and go wrong. That is why there is warranty. Laptops get abused. They are not desktops that sit in one spot. They won't last as long as a desktop. That isn't limited to Apple either.

There is currently a guy who purchased a MacBook through my store almost 2 years ago who is attempting to get the laptop replaced free as his motherboard died. The repairers found insects inside the laptop along with Request for refund documentation on his hard drive for various different companies.

Where was I going with this..... oh I don't know. Go the Zune!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:47:56 PM by dentunes »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2011, 07:32:50 PM »
Quote from: dentunes;623753
I guess if you had AppleCare we wouldn't be having this discussion.

:roflmao:  Seriously, do know know what you just said?

I don't know what tinpot corporatist state you live in but selling products with known defects is against the law in this country.  It is also a requirement to provide a 2yr warranty on electrical goods.

I bought an HP laptop and it had a new screen, DVD drive, Hard Drive and power supply in the first 9 months. When warranty fixed it I sold it immediately!
So I should have sold my MBP's "immediately" after having them repaired then?

Maybe they thought after two batteries, at least two motherboards and two DVD drives, MAYBE, you had an impact on the breakdowns.
For such a loyal cultist you don't seem to be aware of the fact that Apple KNOWINGLY sold MBP's with defective Nvidia 8600M GPU's.  Hence the several motherboard replacements I had.

Replacing them isn't Lord Steve being a wonderful altruistic messiah, it's THE LAW making him replace them.

Not saying you did though you could see how they may think that. I had a first generation MBP and the DVD drive went on it. I sold it like that and the purchaser didn't mind.

Things break and go wrong. That is why there is warranty.
Really? I could have sworn you just claimed I should have to pay for "Apple Care" extedened warranty crap to solve the problems with the broken hardware they knowingly sold to me.

Laptops get abused. They are not desktops that sit in one spot. They won't last as long as a desktop.
Wrong.  One of these MBP's has done nothing but "sit in one spot" for three years being used as a desktop by a disabled woman who uses it for nothing but web surfing.

That isn't limited to Apple either.

There is currently a guy who purchased a MacBook through my store almost 2 years ago who is attempting to get the laptop replaced free as his motherboard died. The repairers found insects inside the laptop along with Request for refund documentation on his hard drive for various different companies.

Where was I going with this..... oh I don't know. Go the Zune!
Apple WILL replace the battery AND fix the damage to the MBP whether they like it or not, as the hardware was defective to start with.  Batteries aren't supposed to explode.

Just one of the benefits in living in a country that doesn't allow it's citizens to be completely raped by corporations.

I don't know, perhaps I haven't been "holding it right?"........

Offline dentunes

« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2011, 05:48:57 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;623859
:roflmao:  Seriously, do know know what you just said?

I don't know what tinpot corporatist state you live in but selling products with known defects is against the law in this country.  It is also a requirement to provide a 2yr warranty on electrical goods.

So I should have sold my MBP's "immediately" after having them repaired then?

For such a loyal cultist you don't seem to be aware of the fact that Apple KNOWINGLY sold MBP's with defective Nvidia 8600M GPU's.  Hence the several motherboard replacements I had.

Replacing them isn't Lord Steve being a wonderful altruistic messiah, it's THE LAW making him replace them.

Really? I could have sworn you just claimed I should have to pay for "Apple Care" extedened warranty crap to solve the problems with the broken hardware they knowingly sold to me.

Wrong.  One of these MBP's has done nothing but "sit in one spot" for three years being used as a desktop by a disabled woman who uses it for nothing but web surfing.

Apple WILL replace the battery AND fix the damage to the MBP whether they like it or not, as the hardware was defective to start with.  Batteries aren't supposed to explode.

Just one of the benefits in living in a country that doesn't allow it's citizens to be completely raped by corporations.

I don't know, perhaps I haven't been "holding it right?"........
I live in Australia. We obviously have different laws. Then again, your laptop is 3 years old now. Even with 2 years warranty, it would be out now. You choose what you wish to do. If I have products which have had a fault, I sell them and replace them. Everyone does what they choose to do. When a car begins breaking down it is cheaper to replace sometimes than to constantly fix it.

I am responding from being in retail for over 10 years and managing a retail store. You guys think we are "raping" you. I guess you don't work in retail otherwise you would see the other side. I am not saying either is right. There is always two sides to each story.

If the problem is known problem, hound them until you get results. Most customers are the most vocal when they have a problem. It would be nice if complements came back as loud when things went right, which in most cases is 99% of the time.

PLease don't call me a cultist. You have absolutely no idea what I am. Save the abuse for Apple. That is who you have your beef with. I didn't once call you anything. This is simply a conversation.

PS: The "holding it right" joke is dead. Let it go. It simply isn't funny anymore. I have an iPhone 4 and the issue is simply totally blown out of proportion. On top of that, nothing comes close to the "raping" Vodafone is currently doing to customers in Australia. It makes 'Attennagate' seem trivial.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:17:14 AM by dentunes »

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2011, 06:59:57 AM »
@Dentunes. I wouldn't worry too much with that attack. He does that quite a lot. Some people are jerks :)

P.S. it would be really cool if nicholas would stop saying cult, cultist and rape in normal everyday conversation. It's creepy :(
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:55:11 AM by Kesa »
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2011, 08:44:40 AM »
Bit grumpy today... Here is what happened:

My girl friend entered a competition to win and iPad 1... She didn't win... Boo :(.
She did get second place, the prize a 16GB iPhone4... Yay :)
The company said that they were having problems getting an iPhone4...  Boo :(
The company have sent her £530 cash alternative... Yay! :)

I said "Cool, you can get the the iPad you wanted now, with the money", actually an iPad2 since that is released today... She says "not sure I want iPad now... I want shoes"... Boo :(

Stoopid women ;)

Offline ognix

• Show only replies by ognix
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2011, 10:21:28 PM »
Not for resurrecting this thread but...
this is a great achivement in personal computing!  :D
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150103890372668&comments
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2011, 10:30:10 PM »
Not to give the thread another raspberry, but given a choice between the iPad and a pair of shoes, I'd take the shoes too (and I'm not a woman stupid or otherwise).

And the slavish devotion to Apple is cult-like. That's the really creepy part - Night of the Living Dead Apple Fanatics.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2011, 10:50:31 PM »
Yup the iPad sux, Apple sux, Microsoft sux, "they who shall no be mentioned here" sux in fact now that I think about it, everthing sux, including this post...:D

Frig, gonna have start looking for something that doesn't suck just so I can begin to hate it and say that sux too... what a crap thing to have to do, this sux... :(

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2011, 12:05:09 AM »
Quote from: Franko;624678
Yup the iPad sux, Apple sux, Microsoft sux, "they who shall no be mentioned here" sux in fact now that I think about it, everthing sux, including this post...:D

Frig, gonna have start looking for something that doesn't suck just so I can begin to hate it and say that sux too... what a crap thing to have to do, this sux... :(

That post sux.:(
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2011, 12:08:45 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;624703
That post sux.:(

Yup... and so does this one... :(

Still I've found something new to complain about in that new AmigaOS.net thread so I'm happy now that I can complain that some of the things said there sux too... :D