Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Son of Transputer powers new AmigaOne X1000  (Read 4484 times)

Description:

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show all replies
Re: Son of Transputer powers new AmigaOne X1000
« on: June 21, 2010, 11:07:05 PM »
These seem to be as busy as ever: the AmigaOS looks terrific, and ports of FireFox and OpenOffice are close to bearing fruit.

I haven't been paying much attention, but was that a mistake, or is someone really working on OpenOffice.org and (without a bit of compiler magic) a JRE?

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:45:23 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;566261
Java on desktop machines. Can anybody explain the point?

What's a desktop machine? Seriously. ;-) Unless you're spending serious money, your average "desktop" is about as powerful as your average "server." The difference is in the software, yeah? There are some innovative products out there, e.g. http://www.seamicro.com/, but most modern data centers expand horizontally using off the shelf servers built with rebranded commodity components. Google's a great example, despite their nifty containerized data center design.

EDIT: Re: Java, I run local copies of ColdFusion/JRun. That's about it.

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »
Oh no. Please, please, please do not let "Amiga" become the Harley Davidson of the computing world.

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 11:10:19 PM »
Quote from: AmigaEd;566311
Why not? It seems to me that the HD business model (while not likely to happen) would be a good thing for the Amiga. I'd be happy to buy some less costly clones of equal or better quality. Plus there would be an explosion of OEM and after market "chrome plated" accessories. Who wouldn't want to hear the "Clickity-clack" of a nice chromed floppy drive?

The biggest downside that I can see would be the blow dealt to those of us who enjoy broadcasting our propaganda anytime anything threatens the obscurity of the Amiga platform and community. (As if that's even possible...)

"Business model" and "Amiga" are rarely used in the same sentence. ;-) I was mainly thinking about 300 pound women in thong underwear with snake-skull-knife tramp stamps. *shudder*