Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which to choose? 'Red pill or Blue pill'  (Read 4293 times)

Description:

Offline gizz72Topic starter

• Show only replies by gizz72
Re: Which to choose? 'Red pill or Blue pill'
« Reply #59 from previous page: May 24, 2004, 01:26:15 AM »
@everyone
I understand your feelings. Actually I envy all you have clubs members and all. The fact is contrary here. There are no more clubs here. I only know just 1 friend who still uses an expanded A500. Heck, we struggle how alone we are but satisfied by our love for it. That's reason I joined amiga.org to meet ppl, like you guys, who still love and cherished the Amiga and what the future possibilities these new HW/SW could do. I'm still glad we're still together despite some differences. Money is no object. It's the unity. Guys, our Amiga has EVOLVED! It matured!
I hope this thread would not become a debate. It's only a 'choice' I want to make. Actually, If I could afford all I buy them all. Being with no club here is like lonely. Alone. It's hard! You guys are lucky ppl :-). The only thing that keeps me going is my love with Amiga. Nothing more. Please let's just share a unity and friendship and bring back those happy days when we first bought it and share knowledge with it.
Thanks again for your comments. I'll remember this thread as an inspiring one. Good day to all.  :-D  :-D  :-D
Good day to all Amigans!
Please Check My FaceBook page
or my Resource Blog @ G.A.R.P.

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB \'030 w/ 32MB + DataF

Offline Acill

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2004, 02:35:16 AM »

gizz72 wrote:
@everyone
I understand your feelings. Actually I envy all you have clubs members and all. The fact is contrary here. There are no more clubs here. I only know just 1 friend who still uses an expanded A500. Heck, we struggle how alone we are but satisfied by our love for it. That's reason I joined amiga.org to meet ppl, like you guys, who still love and cherished the Amiga and what the future possibilities these new HW/SW could do. I'm still glad we're still together despite some differences. Money is no object. It's the unity. Guys, our Amiga has EVOLVED! It matured!
I hope this thread would not become a debate. It's only a 'choice' I want to make. Actually, If I could afford all I buy them all. Being with no club here is like lonely. Alone. It's hard! You guys are lucky ppl :-). The only thing that keeps me going is my love with Amiga. Nothing more. Please let's just share a unity and friendship and bring back those happy days when we first bought it and share knowledge with it.
Thanks again for your comments. I'll remember this thread as an inspiring one. Good day to all.  :-D  :-D  :-D

Well said. I honstly thing the Amiga would have become what the Pegasos is today had it not been for the way things ended up. Its a natural choice. The team behind the Pegasos is the very same team that was doing just that before it all came crashing down dont forget. The A1 is nice too, both systems have the potential to be great machines. I think it would be best for them bothe to thrive. It creates a way for one to become better then the other, only to have the other improve to overcome.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline JKD

• Show only replies by JKD
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2004, 08:49:37 AM »
I think you already got some reasonable advice on this thread. I will just highlight why I made my choice (forgive the slight historical paraphrasing..)

For the longest time I wanted a next gen. Amiga...I certainly had the best Classic there ever was. (Towered A4k CSPPC 233MHz/060 @ 66 and a full rack of 7 zorro cards etc.).

I pre-paid CS-NG...guess that didn't work out viz a viz P5 bankruptcy...shit happens and it was only 140EU or thereabouts. Incidentally years later I was contacted by a certain Mr Buck and a survey of people who got 'ripped off' by Phase5. I never persued it ..since it was money long gone and I knew the risks involved...rather I felt pretty bad for MR Wolf Dietrich - 140 seemned paltry compared to betting the farm and losing!

I waited and waited, all of a sudden bPlan is on the horizon....woohoo. Wait some more....all of a sudden there's a NG Amiga platform (Escena) and in parallel there's prototype version of the machine that eventually becaome the Pegasos.

Wait some more...woohoo, looks like Peg 1 specs are finalized..the A1 is in trouble but soon to be rescued by MAI/Eyetech (but no-one is sure what is going on OS wise..I guess we all assume H&P are working on it...)

At this point I still fully intend to buy both an A1 and a Pegasos...on the face of it they are both equally compelling! (and in addition run my monster A4k tower...)

Fast forward some more...

Peg 1 development seems to have hit a stumbling block (later stated as Articia S problems) and it seems someone wasn't altogether truthful about development of an OS for the Amiga One....naughty. Right here I have the first serious doubts in my mind about the short term availability of OS4.
At the same time I am using MOS beta's 0.4 and above on my classic hardware.

I order my Peg 1 in Nov of 2002, delivery is still massively delayed ... due to development of April 2. I get my Peg I in April of 2003...AOS4 is still under development...public version shown are a very rough around the edges at the same time I;m using MOS1.3 and then 1.4 ......

I'm completely sold on the Peg/MOS solution but even at this point I still intended to buy an A1...even if OS4 final release still looks to be some time away.

Quick fast forward to Oct/Nov 2003...erk, financial pressures of new house and everything kill me. Have to sell the Peg! Decide I'm no longer interested in A1 either (too much money...OS4 still nebulous and weak in public demonstrations.) Very depressing time for me!

OK...back to the future (erm, present)...I get really pissed off about the lbs of Amiga junk sitting useless in my spare room. I run $1000s of the stuff through eBay to clear debts, hopefully to realize enough money for a Peg2. You gotta realize I've had some of this stuff over 10 years, man and boy! What a heartwrenching process....anyway:

I order Peg2 in April....it's with me but 4 weeks later (production is still unfortunately in small (ish)batches) and suddenly everything seems like fun again! The speed of MOS1.4 (.2) has to be seen to be believed...meanwhile OS4 goes pre-release developer 'gold' beta....seems like I made the right choice back in 2002!

Given the choice over again today (as I was in fact given my second chance at a new machine by selling off all the stuff I loved so dearly for years) then I still make the same choice - Pegasos and MorphOS.

To make a choice, requirs you to know what you want out of a machine and it's software....for me, this is purely a hobby...sometimes fun...sometimes work but always a hobby. As a hobby there's no Return On Investment to worry about...just many hours of enjoyment with the machine/OS and participation in a great community (Pegasos always and Amiga most of the time.)

Steve  :-D

Offline smithy

• Show only replies by smithy
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2004, 09:10:02 AM »
What bothers me is that we, the community, have always been Amiga. Not some company. And now we get divided by some silly legal {bleep} between two companies. Well, I for one still say "We are amiga!". I hope I'm not the only one.

What a fantastic post, crown!  At last someone is talking some sense!

I think there are many of us on both sides that are happy to accept that the other side exists.  However, there is a group on both sides who aren't, and are very vocal about it.  I think singlehandedly these people (we all know who they are) have caused a lot of resentment on both sides which only further the divide.

When I see posts like "it's not amiga because it's not called amiga", and other stupid arguments based on religion it makes me very annoyed and I feel myself getting drawn into flaming.  It is these loud fanatics that are spoiling things by drawing other people in.  They give the impression that supporters of each platform foam at the mouth as much as they do, which isn't the case at all.  

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2004, 10:52:00 AM »
If you take the blue pill, then you will wake up next to a beautiful blonde beliving whatever you want to belive.
If you choose the red pill, then we'll go to this cool rave party that we have every sunday night.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.