Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: viruses, and amiga.org visitors  (Read 3825 times)

Description:

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
Re: viruses, and amiga.org visitors
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 28, 2003, 09:38:14 PM »
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline Madgun68

• Show only replies by Madgun68
    • http://home.comcast.net/~madgun1968
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2003, 09:46:06 PM »
Won't matter, once your on sobig's list, you'll get tons of virus email clogging up your hard drive. I'm not in danger of getting infected since I run Linux, but I still have to go delete the crap until I found the email source and firewalled them off.
At least on a non-windows machine they pose a 0% threat risk other than running you out of harddrive space.

If I do wind up on some "list", I'll find a way to filter those messages to the trashcan.

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2003, 09:51:36 PM »
by dammy on 2003/8/28 18:59:24

by bhoggett on 2003/8/28 12:18:09

Quote:

Same here, and it's obvious that my address is being spoofed to send the virus to other people too.

Seems that I'm getting them from 213.22.229.113 and 213.22.229.163 so who ever it is, has sent email to squid so they must read Moo as well. Alot of us who post on moo are having emails spoofed by sobig.

[Edit: I also added 213.22.229.163 and I'm virus email free so far;]

Both IPs from a Portugal server (TVCABO-Portugal Cable Modem Network).

ABUSE REPORTS MUST BE SEND TO ABUSE@TVCABO.PT

Ciao

Offline JaXanim

• Show only replies by JaXanim
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com/waveguide/home.html
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2003, 11:06:53 PM »
I'm running thoroughbred Amiga stuff, yet YAM received two bounced mails with SoBigF attached. It seems these were picked up and spoofed via my website which has my email addy embedded.

Nobody's safe!

Cheers,

JaX
Be inspired! It\\\'s back!

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2003, 11:19:54 PM »
@JaXanim

Nobody's safe!

I'm afraid so. Running Linux or AmigaOS just means your machine doesn't get infected, but you'll still get bombarded with the mails.

If you are firewalling them off, make sure they get deleted from your ISP rather than just ignored, otherwise your mailbox may get clogged with them and start rejecting genuine mail.

(I pity those poor buggers who got hit on mail accounts that have quotas on them...)

As for being subject to virus arracks, this will always happen on popular systems, just like piracy. The Amiga had its fair share of both in its heyday, and now they mostly attack Windows users. As Linux becomes more popular, so the virus threats and piracy grow.
Bill Hoggett

Offline mikeymikeTopic starter

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2003, 11:38:30 PM »
This is what needs to happen - people need to be educated, in the same way kids are educated 'not to talk to strangers', etc.

And possibly viruses need to become far more catastrophic so that people are more likely to take notice, when every last one of their cherished files go bye-bye*.  Actually, that's strange, isn't it?  Viruses USED TO be far more system-wrecking than they are now...

* - it would be also good from the point of view of me getting more business repairing peoples' systems :-)

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2003, 11:58:26 PM »

mikeymike wrote:
@ Doobrey
You'd rather it find something? :-)
Blimey, 45 minutes... presumably that's an 'all files' scan rather than the usual suspects type scan?

Yup, a full file scan on the PC(spit spit). Forget how many hours it takes for the Amiga to do one!
I am glad when it finds nothing, but I can`t help but feel let down, sort of like the ending of a crap movie.
 The only time I ever got a virus on the PC was when my sister bought some work home on a floppy, then she had the fun job of telling her work that they had a virus on their systems.. and she was the systems admin at the time ! :-o
On schedule, and suing

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2003, 12:09:12 AM »

Actually, that's strange, isn't it?  Viruses USED TO be far more system-wrecking than they are now...

I take it you`ve never tried to use USB on Windows98 then?  ;-)

I see people here blaming the users for allowing the spread of viruses..shouldn`t we look more at why they aren`t educated or aware of howto stop them?
For instance, you buy a boxed distro of linux, it comes with tonnes of CD`s and nice big manual.
What do you get with Windows? a CD and a nice big EULA ! .. no manual, apart from the built in help, but how many new users know that`s there or how to use it?
On schedule, and suing

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2003, 12:50:50 AM »
I take it you`ve never tried to use USB on Windows98 then?

/me watches that one fly over my head...
I've never had any problems with USB on Win98.  Admittedly I don't use USB much.

I see people here blaming the users for allowing the spread of viruses..shouldn`t we look more at why they aren`t educated or aware of howto stop them?

Partly because the primary piece of advice should always be DON'T USE MS APPLICATIONS FOR INTERNET STUFF!  After that, it's "don't open strange attachments you weren't expecting", after that, it's "if in doubt, virus scan it.  With your up-to-date virus scanner".

I can't remember the last time I had to urgently patch my Windows system, because 99% of the patches are for dodgy software or dodgy Windows setups!

What do you get with Windows? a CD and a nice big EULA ! .. no manual, apart from the built in help, but how many new users know that`s there or how to use it?

Heh.  This reminds me of my first experience with Win95.  I couldn't work out how to set up a screen saver.  I consulted the "manual".  The only reference in the Win95 manual regarding screen savers is a single sentence:

"You can set up a screen saver".  And a picture of a screen saver running.

Excellent.

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2003, 12:53:13 AM »
Hmmmm I havent got any yet. But then I checked my email on my Amiga SYS B4 it died but now I use YAM with AMIGAFOREVER....I should not be getting viruses with that ....RIGHT ??????

I think I know what you mean, but simply put, an OS running under 68k emulation on an x86 box cannot run x86 binaries :-)

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2003, 12:57:57 AM »
Heh. This reminds me of my first experience with Win95. I couldn't work out how to set up a screen saver. I consulted the "manual". The only reference in the Win95 manual regarding screen savers is a single sentence:

"You can set up a screen saver". And a picture of a screen saver running.

Excellent.

:roflmao:
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2003, 12:59:37 AM »
For those running Windows machines, I would highly recommend SA Proxy.

Don't know SA Proxy, but I like mailwasher, gives me "total" control over my mail

MailWasher Pro

The free version works rather well..

Mailwasher Free

I'll have a look at SA later on..
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2003, 01:13:11 AM »
@Mikeymike

"don't open strange attachments you weren't expecting"

The computer tech/administrator at college even went further than that - "don't open attachments"!!!
He always just deleted them, even the ones from people he knew. And so do I these days, cos a) it'll be a virus or b) it'll be some boring peace and love chain letter to clog up your inbox
I like Amigas

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2003, 06:09:11 AM »
by Framiga on 2003/8/28 16:51:36

Both IPs from a Portugal server (TVCABO-Portugal Cable Modem Network).

ABUSE REPORTS MUST BE SEND TO ABUSE@TVCABO.PT

Since I firewalled those two sites, I've had one sobig and nothing else.  Pretty good considering I was getting one ever five to ten minutes.

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline voxel

• Show only replies by voxel
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2003, 09:19:20 AM »
Hi everybody :-)

Just got some WinBlows virus in my mails on the pagestream mailling lists, until deron kills the attachments.

I haven't seen a single Amiga virus on my Amigas since more than TEN  years! :-P

AMIGA rocks! WinBlows ..... ;-)

Amigalement,
Jean-François, Amiga ONLY since 1985.
Amigalement,
Jean-François Bachelet, Amiga nuts since 1985.
-------------------------------------------------
Welcome to Happy Computing : Amiga! (© 2K4-2K8 voxel)

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2003, 10:30:38 PM »
You can't blame viruses that travel thru email just on windows.. Where was the first virus ever? Well guess what it was on your Amiga platform..

Viruses that travel thru email is just a side effect of having a connected world, and honestly the first virus to travel thru email made it's way on email servers.

If you don't have good virus protection available to you I suggested you sign up for some type of web based email service.. At least the email with the offending code is not getting downloaded to your computer that way, and most of these services have automatic checking.

I can't feel sorry for anyone who gets an email virus if they aren't investing in good anti-virus software anyway. My anti-virus software (with proper updating) has never failed to identify and kill an emailed virus.  This takes time money and staffing though for companies to offer such thing. I can't say how much I really appreciate what McAffee, and Symantec do today..

If it wasn't on a PC it would be still happening on whatever we were on..

The Amiga is lucky no one bothers to write exploits for it anymore really because it's relavence has descreased, due to lack of useage. Virus writers go for mass infection it seems..
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================