Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lets talk about A1222 - Tabor  (Read 42639 times)

Description:

Offline BozzerBigD

Re: Lets talk about A1222 - Tabor
« on: March 01, 2018, 11:11:00 PM »
Quote from: dirkzwager;836790
Yes, why not? We waiting for so long, when it is not possible they never start with the a1222 or the project whose cancel a long time ago.
I think ...
One word explains the delay, DRIVERS! Most AmigaOne machines have historically been released with incomplete driver software for onboard networking chips and even sound chips! This time there is no space for a networking board to be added so the onboard chip HAS TO be supported from day one! This is not something anyone in the Amiga community can deliver quickly. The Prisma Megamix was delayed for months if not years due to drivers and that was just an add on board!
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 10:59:05 AM »
All AmigaOne machines have had the outlay of developers working on the  onboard chips the only difference this time is that the board can't ship  until the network chip code is complete. This shouldn't affect the cost of  the Tabor. The driver work is normally paid up front as detailed in the  link below:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=42440&forum=32

AmigaKit Quote from 1st March 2018
A-EON Technology Ltd contracted Costel Mincea of Hyperion Entertainment  CVBA to create the SANA network driver for X5000 and A1222 and  additionally complete the X1000 driver project.  The contract was signed  at the Amiga 30th event in Peterborough, UK in August 2015.  Payment  was made for the contract in full within the following month and as I  understand work has been ongoing steadfastly since on all three projects  with breaks in the development for the various X5000/A1222 ISO  preparation work and Kernel debugging/testing.  With respect to Cyrus  and Tabor, a few complications on converting the large complex/bloated  Linux driver code to a suitable Amiga SANA driver format were cited as  the initial roadblocks if I recall correctly.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 02:27:15 PM »
Amikit have taken over the 'product delivery' phase hence less updates. Trevor is focusing on his book with David Pleasance.
'Nuff said.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 02:30:44 PM »
... presumably the Early Adopters will get their A1222Plus machines this year? The rest of us would be better looking elsewhere. And that's why the ACube Sam460LE exists IMHO.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 11:28:07 AM »
The only opinion of mine that remains constant is "when it's done" is not a release strategy. The A500 Mini's release date slipped 2 weeks after the launch was announced. This is tolerable but the lack of solid release date and lack of updates is intolerable for the A1222Plus. They can't JUST blame the pandemic and it is also sickening that A-EON kinda views it as a soft launched product already because Beta Testers had them years ago!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 09:57:19 PM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 11:01:31 PM »
Any news?

Still no news on Trevor's blog. Maybe there's an update chapter in the David Pleasance book Vol 2 from Trevor?

http://blog.a-eon.biz/blog/

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 08:43:38 AM »
I think it's in Matthew's corner now for delivery! AmigaKit update?

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 09:16:32 PM »
@cehofer

Does your Amiga Inc t-shirt still fit? I guess your coupon is framed on your wall?
 ;D

Seriously though the X5000/40 will be released any day now with System 54, Worms Armageddon, and a chocolate teapot. Trevor will deliver it by parachute from a new production line F-22 Raptor Stealth Fighter "when it's done"!  ;D

The A1222 Plus will arrive for the heralded 100 by special delivery via Steven Solie riding a flying unicorn with boxed copies of Wings Remastered and Octamed PPC, ImageFX and a free beanie baby Ben Hermans!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 09:28:09 PM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 09:36:20 PM »
... additionally on Sunday when Wales attempt to qualify for their first World Cup since 1958, Matthew Leamans has been selected as Aaron Ramsey's replacement promising to sponsor the event and give away a Prisma Megamix and a guide on how to run a Rapid Road USB off its clock port socket to every individual in the stadium!

"Only Amiga!"  ;D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 09:37:51 PM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 07:31:55 AM »
Oh yeah, I see the X5000/40s now listed next to said unicorn poo and F-22 Raptor custom jigs and tooling. Thanks for clearing that up!

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 07:24:06 PM »
They are not advertising the new X5000/40 so whatever your contact has told you they are not technically 'in stock' / 'for sale' and have not even been officially launched despite beta testers and Trevor having one!

It's like an elite club where if you know a mate that knows Trevor or a dealer they might be able to sort you out with some illicit AmigaOne gear! An horrendous way to do business! Why would anyone part with $2,000+ on such a basis?

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2022, 12:56:12 AM »
@number6

Fine, I saw the AmigaOldSkooler news in March but I missed the news about the new model and I apologise to cehofer that I called him on the X5000/40 being available albeit 'under the counter' as I see it! In just over 12 years we've from clever viral marketing from A-EON to just a shrug and silent dumping of the premium model presumably just before the wheels completely fall off the AmigaOne project?! There has been NO distinction between the release to beta testers and now the general public. There is no buzz just an expectation that if you know what it is then you already know where to look!

To be fair the Relec bundle and case looks great, it's just £2,000 plus for a system with an uncertain future and with a key partner in AmigaKit dropping this 'premium' X5000/40 model (and indeed all NG hardware until the A1222 Plus is ready), it just doesn't encourage a sale from me. But I guess it would from someone wanting to upgrade from the X5000/20 model presumably for a better Linux experience to use those extra cores? How big the market now for this sort of thing? Presumably too small to bother advertising its availability?

I'd like a better version of Photogenics (rock stable with better text options and better/more intuitive layer support) and also a version of Deluxe Paint with multiple undo rather than all this out of reach hardware!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 01:09:43 AM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2022, 01:26:41 AM »
@number6

... and the RELEC deal is still for the X5000/20 not the new model! Very confusing for the consumer! But what's 2G amongst friends of Trevor hey?  It doesn't matter if you understand what your getting or even if your PSU is fitted the right way around as long as you can open and close windows in AmigaOS 4.x! ::)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 01:28:21 AM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2022, 05:18:11 PM »
@cehofer

Since no one really knows the X5000/40 is available then the diehards that do buy them are all technically beta testers anyway!

@Rob

Since I can now play Wipeout 2097 with the superior PS1 soundtrack on THEA500 Mini I fail to see what I'd use MorphOS for despite it looking cool! As already shared I really yearn for updated Amiga programs rather than playing BOH or Spencer on an AmigaNG!

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 07:11:36 AM »
Blame Canada... I mean Hyperion!

Now AmiKit know what it feels like to be kept waiting or ignored!

So while I have the chance;

Dear AmigaKit,

Are you planning to populate the mobos you have to produce the CD32 compatible joystick/mouse switchers any time soon?

Product Code: JOYMSESW2

Secondly, is the Rapid Road A1200 Edition compatible with the clock port on the Prisma MegaMix?

I thank you in advance for your prompt reply.

P.S. All the best with the A1222 Plus launch, I hear it's getting close?

God bless
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 07:15:51 AM by BozzerBigD »